City Smudges and Duplicate Names

Moderator: Unholy

Re: City Smudges and Duplicate Names

Postby CBenson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:42 pm

The problem with mass correcting city names is that waze is uncomfortable making the change without trusted local confirmation as the waze staff may not be familiar with the local city names, the local practices for city naming or which editors are experienced to trust with these kinds of changes. For this reason waze staff does not act on information entered in the City Rename Form unless one of two conditions are met. First the correction will be acted upon if you have a special PIN code and enter in the form with the correction. Second the correction will be acted upon if a waze champ with access to the spreadsheet where the changes are tracked confirms that the changes should be made.

(Note that, at least in the US, the form entries are tracked on different spreadsheet that the sheet linked to on the form.)

Given this setup, the best practice when requesting corrections through the City Rename Form is to contact a local Champ that can confirm your changes are correct and ask that the Champ confirm that the changes should be made by waze staff.

As far as English names go, I haven't really looked at this issue at all. Likely, because having two adjacent cities (or overlapping cities) with the same name seems fairly harmless given all the other things that are found wrong with the city layer.

I'm also not sure what different effect ticking the "Smudged city" box has as opposed to the "Change name" or "Delete city" boxes has. There is parallel sheet in which Champs can directly enter city name change requests. Both sheets have a "What to do?" column. Which boxes are checked determine what is entered in this column in the form entry sheet. However, in the other sheet the "What to do?" can be anything. So my guess is that what you enter in the comments box effects how the change is implemented as much as whether "Smudged City" is checked or not.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Daknife » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:48 am

Thanks for posting this. I'd been meaning to find that form linked at the bottom of that wiki page to see if we can finally get Butler, PA properly named. It was originally imported as Butler(2), there were many UR's complaining about the name, so I went through and renamed it to Butler. Knowing the period would be silent in the TTS and less noticeable in the actual text.

But your post here reminded me I'd meant to follow up on that and gave me the form to do so.
[ img ]
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby Daknife » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:01 am

Naw, let me do it. I know Jon likes my approach. :P :lol: :D

J/K, Jondrush is the person to do it, it seems not only is he a staunch advocate but he's got more opportunity than most to actually deal with it. I've seen at least three such towns in PA so far, and only I only messed up one, though I did most of that work before he was in position over his region.
[ img ]
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby davielde » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:57 am

Even though this thread has been dormant past the time allotted by forum rules, I wanted to resurrect the topic based on kentsmith9's response here. This will eliminate having two separate threads discussing updates of the same wiki page(s). I don't want to be bold and change anything either at this time because of the difficulty in actually being able to test form-submitted city changes in a timely manner.

With regard to city smudges, the most recent version of the City Rename Form mentioned in the Smudged city article has some expanded choices. In addition to just renaming, merging, or deleting a city, we now have the option to separately change the city "English name", and I cannot recall, but I think that the explicit option for "Smudged city" is new as well. The Smudged City article was updated in mid-February to include the form options under the final "Need assistance from Waze team" section, but the wiki provides no guidance on what each option does, let alone when it may be appropriate to use certain options in different situations.

While the responsiveness in getting a city change made via the form seems to be slow to nonexistent, there was a recent change to a city altered through the form that my regional coordinator asked me to look into. In doing so, I think that it is worthwhile to document how to properly use the city change form depending on the desired result. Depending on feedback, this also may have implications for the Duplicate cities article as well.

We ran into a situation where a city called "Addison (2)" was renamed to "Addison", but the English name was not changed. The only reason that I discovered this in the first place was because at some point, the neighboring township of "Woodstock" was also (potentially in error) renamed to "Addison" as well. This left a situation where there were two legitimate "Addison, Michigan" options right next to each other when editing segments in WME. Sometimes you may get two cities with the same name, and one may not have a state, but this was not the case. Looking at the JSON response from WME, the stateIDs match. More interesting, however, is that what made this possible is that the English names of Addison (2) and Woodstock were retained. So, in this case, using the form to change the city name to "Addison" functioned to change the display name, but the English name is preserved, and both "Addison (2), MI" and "Woodstock, MI" are still searchable via LiveMap and WME. Depending on your intended outcome, it may or may not be desirable to change both the name and English name at the same time.

This may be a bit of a stretch, and due to the response time for city name changes, it's nearly impossible to test right now; but with regard to duplicate cities, this would potentially allow a situation where you could have two cities in the same state share a common name but have distinct English names. By virtue of Waze changing the city name(s), it could also potentially bypass the "highlighted road is too far from the city it was added to" message (which is triggered by the name and not English name being too distant, and is likely just a WME and not a database constraint). It could also potentially remove the need to have workarounds such as adding a differentiation such as county name as mentioned on the Duplicate cities page and this thread.

Another thing that is recognizable from the JSON response is that Waze-imported polygons have English Names while editor-created ones do not. This could be important if you want to add an English Name as a differentiating factor for an editor-created city or edit one for a Waze-imported city.

While the name/English name was the main subject of clarification for this post, I'm also curious to know how Waze would treat the "Smudged city" option differently from either a Merge or a Delete, which are much more intuitive. If you have a smudged city and choose that option on the change form, what happens to the segments that have been affected? Do they take on another name (effectively a merge), or do they become No City (effectively a delete)? If anyone has submitted a request using Smudged City and had it go through, I would be interested in hearing what happens.
[ img ]
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby davielde » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks. The Addison change was a request from GizmoGuy411, so it went through quickly. Even without adding more detail to the wiki for the various form options, your statement that "the best practice when requesting corrections through the City Rename Form is to contact a local Champ that can confirm your changes are correct and ask that the Champ confirm that the changes should be made by waze staff" should make it into the wiki in some form. I don't want to put too much extra burden on the Champs for this, but otherwise the changes just sit in limbo.

As you state, the name/English name example would not be very common, especially in states that do not have townships alongside legitimate cities on the layer. Having them so close though was what triggered looking into not only what the English name was, but also potentially considering how it could be applied for legitimate "duplicate cities" in a state. So, editors in PA or MI, for example, where townships are (currently) mapped for the most part, would have a possible way to differentiate without having to add names like "Superior Township, [x]" and "Superior Township, [y]" to the map. Those could be the English names, but the Name would just be "Superior Township" for both.

For further documentation, I was just hoping to eventually collect some permalinks to examples where the city has been successfully changed using the various options on the form, so we can see what happens to the affected segments and note what actually changes with each request--even if the Comment is ultimately more important than the checkbox selection. It may work out where that duplicate city idea won't even work in practice.
[ img ]
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby jondrush » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:03 am

I'd be willing to take a stab at a duplicate city name page, since I seem to be the strongest advocate for order and unambiguity.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
[ img ]
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

City Smudges and Duplicate Names

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 pm

I wanted to note I have updated the current Fixing Smudged Cities wiki article and added some additional information on resolving Duplicated city names. They are sometimes the same fix, but might appear to be different problems.

I currently have the following Wiki searches linked to this page:

City smudge
City smudges
Duplicate cities
Duplicate city
Duplicate city name
Duplicate city names
Smudged cities
Smudged city

If you think of any other terms that could be linked please let me know.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm

I just found this parallel thread discussing solutions to multiple intended city names, vs. this one about incorrectly named cities. In that thread we are discussing another Wiki article we need to create with instructions for that solution.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm

orbitc wrote:Would that be under the same wiki city smudge article?

I personally think we should have two separate articles between these. The current one is talking about errors in the map that need the duplicated city name removed. This new one will cover how to enable using the same city name in the same state that would otherwise lead to an error.

At the top of both articles we include a hatnote to link to the other one as a form of disambiguation.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 pm

tpainter wrote:Something like "misplaced city names" might work.

Added.

As I mentioned in my original post, we can add any names people think would be most likely searched to best help new users. There is no limit to what we can redirect to this page.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion