Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

FAQ split?

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
At what point does a FAQ become to long and unwieldy to be helpful? I'm wondering if splitting up the current FAQ by subject matter would have benefit to those (few) who bother to read it before posting in the forum?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
argus-cronos wrote:Perhaps subcategories would be helpful, something like Client, WME, Webpages, Dashboard, Points....
That would also be an acceptable solution.
dmcconachie wrote:In my humble opinion, if you have to categorise and split a FAQ too much it just becomes a part of the wiki and no longer serves the same purpose. It should cover frequently asked questions and not every question. There's no harm in having "Want to know more...?"
There are soooo many frequently asked questions. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by argus-cronos
Perhaps subcategories would be helpful, something like Client, WME, Webpages, Dashboard, Points....
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:At what point does a FAQ become to long and unwieldy to be helpful? I'm wondering if splitting up the current FAQ by subject matter would have benefit to those (few) who bother to read it before posting in the forum?
In my humble opinion, if you have to categorise and split a FAQ too much it just becomes a part of the wiki and no longer serves the same purpose. It should cover frequently asked questions and not every question. There's no harm in having "Want to know more...?" (Starship Troopers anyone?) links plastered everywhere pointing deeper into the wiki.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by floppyrod84
I hope you're making a copy of it to translate and not what someone did before and try and translate the English directly

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by JimB50
I agree with dmcconachie with additional comment that the FAQ should be focused on new editors. Another idea would be to use the additional questions from the FAQ to set up tutorials for learning different parts of the editing process.

Jim
JimB50
Send a message
Jim
Level 3 editor
LG VS 930 Android 4.1.2
Cleaning up in my area

Post by kentsmith9
I don't think it is too unusually long and it already has link to other FAQs. We currently have an index to each question to aid finding what is interesting to people.

There are a few questions we can remove like the Cartouche question. It cannot be that common any more and we can just move it to its own page.

I like the idea of sorting the questions by category.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nahrihra
I am currently translating it into Russian and am thinking of just the same.
nahrihra
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
argus-cronos wrote:Perhaps subcategories would be helpful, something like Client, WME, Webpages, Dashboard, Points....
with a master index page (one page to rule them all, one page to find them)
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.