Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:So, now we have time-based turn restrictions and need to start documenting. We also have time-based directionality restrictions. We also have vehicle-type restrictions. Each can be full-time, recurring weekly/daily, or for selected date ranges.

The interface is similar, especially the directionality/vehicle types one. The topics are related, in terms of it being a restriction, but what will general users think?

My first thought was single page titled "Restrictions" or something similar, with major sections on "Turn Restrictions", "Time-based Turn Restrictions", "Traffic Restrictions", and "Vehicle Type Restrictions" and then start with our best guesses at redirects for other similar names.

Throw out some ideas.
I think just "restrictions" is too broad. That should lead to a disambiguation page like
Level

Then the "Restrictions" disambiguation page would lead to the relevant topics each in depth for that area.

The current Map Editing quick start on Turn Restrictions should be pulled into the new page covering both standard and time-based turn restrictions (TBTR). They are interlinked and should not be isolated.

We currently have HOV and HOT lanes pages that have related timing for when they are free for all that we can link back to TBTR, but during restricted times we are still missing vehicle occupancy from the client app to completely fix this.
CBenson wrote:First, the closure feature in the app, the coming closure feature in the editor and the Mega Event reporting all all sort of seem like restrictions. This could just be handled with a cross-reference that says for closures see xxxx.
We have part of that now with Road closures and Construction zones, so we just need to add the mega closure (discussion on Wiki update in another thread currently).

As for redirects that is easy enough. In fact every day I look something up in the Wiki if I do not find what I expected with that search term (if is comes up with nothing), I create a redirect to the correct page. This seems to be a life-long endeavor. :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message