Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Restrictions and the difficulties of documenting

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
So, now we have time-based turn restrictions and need to start documenting. We also have time-based directionality restrictions. We also have vehicle-type restrictions. Each can be full-time, recurring weekly/daily, or for selected date ranges.

The interface is similar, especially the directionality/vehicle types one. The topics are related, in terms of it being a restriction, but what will general users think?

My first thought was single page titled "Restrictions" or something similar, with major sections on "Turn Restrictions", "Time-based Turn Restrictions", "Traffic Restrictions", and "Vehicle Type Restrictions" and then start with our best guesses at redirects for other similar names.

Throw out some ideas.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AndyPoms wrote:We need to figure this part out...
Well, sure, that'll be part of the documentation, but the content is only part of the puzzle. I'd like to get the basic structure agreed on. I don't think that figuring out a subtlety, important as it is, is a prerequisite.

One thing about the "Thru" trucks is that a destination within the verboten area, regardless of what we select for allowed or restricted, will not stop Waze from routing there. It will pick a route where segments connect regardless of penalty to get to the destination.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
We need to figure this part out
AndyPoms wrote:Also, there are two types of Truck Restriction - "No Trucks" and "No Through Trucks". The first prohibits all Trucks no matter what (like on a Parkway) the others are less restrictive - Asking Politely & the more common "No THRU Trucks" - which, in Waze terms, is essentially a private road - a truck can go to a destination on that road (or on another road that connects to it), but really shouldn't go in one side and out the other.

As a truck driver (I hold a Class B Commercial Drivers License) things like this need to be considered while deciding mapping policy.
Based on my experience as a Truck Driver (ok, it wasn't a delivery truck, it was a TV Truck, but it was the same size) - the "No Thru Trucks" restriction should NOT be made in the app unless it behaves similar to a private street (where it won't route through, but will route to a destination in a network of roads marked with the restriction).

Also, at this time they Types are not sticking when adding a restriction (http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 40#p503819).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
We also need to figure out HOV now too...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:My first thought was single page titled "Restrictions" or something similar, with major sections on "Turn Restrictions", "Time-based Turn Restrictions", "Traffic Restrictions", and "Vehicle Type Restrictions" and then start with our best guesses at redirects for other similar names.

Throw out some ideas.
I think this approach makes a lot of sense. I don't have a better suggestion. However, a couple of things do come to mind. First, the closure feature in the app, the coming closure feature in the editor and the Mega Event reporting all all sort of seem like restrictions. This could just be handled with a cross-reference that says for closures see xxxx. Second, I suspect that going forward that most relevant vehicle type restriction for the average commuter (and thus the editors) will be the HOV restrictions. It may not be immediately clear that HOV is a "vehicle type." (i.e. the search will be for HOV, not vehicle type). So that should just be made clear when documenting these features.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by HavanaDay
I think that you are correct that restrictions should have it's own page. I also think that every wiki page that mentions editing should have a link in big fat red letters linking to this page. As it is set up now, it is going to be hard to track down wrong driving direction errors without having to hunt and peck for time based restrictions along the routing to see if that is causing the issue. Although this function is sorely needed I believe it has the most potential for things to go awry. It is going to be way to easy to mess something up intentionally or unintentionally by a new editor by messing with this function and a full understanding of it is of the utmost importance.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jemay
The client does not have that type of identification. So the simple answer is no.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by JimB50
As a follow up to HavanaDay, the new restriction types seem to cry out for a script to find all of these new restrictions on the visible map. Similar to the Color Highlights script.
One other thing about time restrictions. The HOT (HOV plus tolls) lane has weekend hours with the opposite timing for the beach crowd going to Galveston. I have not seen the details for turn restrictions. Is that possible with the new turn restrictions?

Jim
Level 3 Editor
JimB50
Send a message
Jim
Level 3 editor
LG VS 930 Android 4.1.2
Cleaning up in my area

Post by JimB50
Do the Waze masters have more info about the options for setting up traffic restrictions? I am thinking about restrictions based on truck or cargo type. Such as weight or hazardous cargo. The signs with the capital HC in a circle.

Jim
Level 3 Editor
JimB50
Send a message
Jim
Level 3 editor
LG VS 930 Android 4.1.2
Cleaning up in my area

Post by jwriddle
james9becker wrote:Do the Waze masters have more info about the options for setting up traffic restrictions? I am thinking about restrictions based on truck or cargo type. Such as weight or hazardous cargo. The signs with the capital HC in a circle.

Jim
Level 3 Editor
Add Senior Citizens and drivers with three or more bumper stickers.

------------------------
Sent from iPhone 4 via Tapatalk 2
jwriddle
Send a message
iPhone 4 (VZW) • iOS 6.1.3 • Waze 3.7.3.0
Droid Mini (VZW) • Android 4.2.2 • Waze 3.7.3.0
[img]https:///NvxDK[/img]https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Jay W. RiddleArea Manager
US | Georgia: North Atlanta