Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:And I doubt they'd be allowed to let any of the editors use them in that case, not even the beta test group. If they weren't licensed to Waze, we couldn't use them to edit.
In all likelihood you are probably correct. However in my real life I work a lot with our legal team and I have seen some pretty amazing things slip by pretty far without someone confirming the long debated agreement that both parties intended to sign, actually got signed. :oops:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Speaking of contracts, I wonder if the Waze contract transition from Bing to Google aerials will force all Wiki images to need to be updated. :shock: :?:

I will send along that question.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Already sent. :(

I really do not think we have to do anything. The images were used at a time they were permitted. If I sent out brochures that used an image I had licensed for one year, I don't have to recall those brochures with those images, I just cannot create new documents with them.

Therefore I presume we will just start using the Google images for screen shots as needed for new articles and references.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
From a different thread we also have input from Ohad-Ron on Scheduled Restrictions.

I think I have some time tonight to merge the two that we can work from going forward. I will do my best in include all the comments from this thread and the other one.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I created a merger of the various pages we have been throwing around on http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... strictions

I have not yet gone through all the notes on changes that we may have recommended, but I built the page from the current editor version so I did my best to match the language on the page with what you see on the various edit panels.

I think this layout might be a little different than some of you have proposed, but I wanted to present the various editing panels with basic descriptions around how to use them, and then followed up with Alan's various examples to help clarify with different visuals.

Since the "Time based restrictions" edit panel is identical for both segments and turns, I did not want to repeat the instructions for that panel in both sections, so I think I have a flow that enables users to get the data needed and prevent the page from getting monstrously long and possibly out of sync with itself.

The next big step is capturing screen shots and adding to the Wiki database. I think based on some of Alan's notes from his page, he may already have some of these images. I have run out of time to edit currently, so I wanted to enable others to view what we have so far. Feel free to improve my typos and grammar to increase understanding with non-native English speakers as well.

If anyone has major heartburn with my layout let's review here and I am happy to side with consensus as required.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Riamus wrote:Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to slowly start updating the images anyhow. Having current images is better anyhow. And updated full-size images of the WME would now show the street view icon and can include the street view itself when it's useful to display.
This is already done, for my part of updating the main WME wiki page and the Editor Interface page.
I received confirmation while not urgent, we will eventually need to swap out the images. I propose that we focus on new edits and if we need an image, do not use a prior Bing image, but grab or create a new Google image from the WME.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I keep getting questions on the restrictions page, so I moved it into the active Wiki pages in advance of it being live. I do not believe there are any confidential notes or images in the beta that cannot be seen by those without access to that editor. I noted at the top of the page this is part of the beta only right now and also that the page is under construction with a link to this forum thread for feedback and more info.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... strictions
sketch wrote:I have a few images, as I mentioned in my notes on Alan's page:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjbhjcznn97w0f8/uVXCDtKDp7
Not many at all, though. I ran out of time too! :lol:
I did not get a chance yet to add in sketch's images. There are a number of images we need for the page if anyone is interested in helping on this page. I have red placeholders marking everything we have identified we think is necessary.

Next I will update the Handling Road Closures page to clarify when to use the various methods available.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I think I have, but it would be good for someone besides me to review the current versions online.

I am still deep in our product launch prep in my RL, so I have limited time here currently.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Riamus wrote:I just looked over the page again and checked out some screenshots. One thing I'd suggest for the feature (not the Wiki) is to add a heading above the restricted vehicles on the restriction dialog that simply says "Restricted vehicles" or something similar. The reason here is that it may not be clear whether those checkboxes are saying the vehicles are restricted or that they are allowed. Yes, I know the dialog is for restrictions, but you're going to find someone who misunderstands when there isn't any heading. It's a minor change and may prevent some incorrect edits, so I think it's definitely worth adding. It may seem obvious, but few things are obvious to everyone.
This was the exact feedback I originally provided in the first beta. The Waze team made most of my other suggested changes on that UI, but that one did not make it. I resubmitted it again, but we have not seen an update to my knowledge since my second proposal on that. I'm not holding my breath. :roll:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message