Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Riamus wrote:Could you add an example for how best to handle "school days" restrictions? Obviously, Mon-Fri and times, but we don't need those during the summer months. We want it to repeat every year, so just putting a date range doesn't seem right because you have to enter a year. How should we handle these?
You should not enter any restrictions for school zones, unless the roads are actually closed to traffic.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:But the already uploaded files that you would like added to the scheduled restrictions page are the jpg files, right?
Correct. But having the images in place as part of the article is more important. I can only work on replacing them with prettier versions during the evening.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:Many streets near me change to one-way during school in/out times.

I have not been including date ranges unless the sign specifically says "SCHOOL DAYS". Most of them aren't any more specific than "SCHOOL / [Do Not Enter] / MON-FRI / 8:30 AM - 9:15 AM / 2:30 PM - 3:45 PM" or whatever. Better safe than sorry, I guess.
Good call. I don't have anything like that in my area! :)

We've requested that Waze enhance the date functionality for closures to allow for something more than weekly recurrence. Monthly and yearly are needed, and we've proposed the MS Outlook functionality, even the UI :o, as a decent model to implement in the future.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Riamus wrote:So when you can't turn left onto a main street during certain times of the day during school days, it shouldn't be marked? That doesn't seem right to me.
Similar to sketch's example above, that would be a proper user of restrictions, if it's actually signed, etc. I was thinking, as some editors have expressed this desire before, that you want to restrict something just because it is a "school zone" and "traffic backs up and is slower" during some times. I have no experience with traffic restrictions in school zones in my area other than speed reduction, so my response was based on my limited experience. My understanding is now broader. :mrgreen:

Because we don't have yearly repeating and even the date-ranged restrictions > 50 days isn't yet working, set it for now for M-F with no date range.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Someone at Waze really likes this turn restrictions sample image I uploaded to the wiki. It's now been tweeted, too.

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d5/Lotsa_turns.jpg

I wonder if someone will notice that you can't actually get this in the editor ever? :D
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Someone at Waze really likes this turn restrictions sample image I uploaded to the wiki. It's now been tweeted, too.

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d5/Lotsa_turns.jpg

I wonder if someone will notice that you can't actually get this in the editor ever? :D
I assume you mean the purple "?" with a Green Arrow or Green U-Turn?
I have to retract my statement. I've decided that this segment could exist in the wild.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote for readability

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:Actually I do think the purple "?" goes away once you change any of the directions for that intersection and I don't think you can get it back. Not that this whole line of debate is important though. :mrgreen:
Those greens could easily, and can be found, in place due to automatic turn updating.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've got most of the images in place for the article. It still has red text for adding some photos of signs.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:The blurb on 24 hour time is incorrect; if it is read literally it will read that 12 AM is 12:00 and 12 PM is 24:00.
With the exception of midnight hour, I think the existing text is fine. Your's is ok, but I think is way too long and most won't read it. "AM times are entered as-is" works except, as noted, for 0 to :59.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:It would be clearer as a table, anyway. It's way easier to read a bulleted list or a table if the question is "if this, do this".
I'm fine with the table. I think the middle column could be removed completely. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message