Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
I'm not either... yet! ;)

I'm just thinking about the way Wikipedia does it as an example. Photos generally have to be your own work or otherwise proven to be public domain, something like that. No, we're not Wikipedia of course, but it can't hurt to be safe.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Well, the images are taken from the street view functionality in the beta editor. I would support holding off on their inclusion until the feature is released to the standard editor. I can't imagine posting screenshots of our editor in our user documentation would be a problem. Plenty of Bing aerials in the wiki.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
kentsmith9 wrote:
sketch wrote:I can't imagine posting screenshots of our editor in our user documentation would be a problem. Plenty of Bing aerials in the wiki.
The Bing aerials are already licensed to Waze, so they are not a problem. We are presuming with good faith that the Streetview images are also being licensed to Waze, but as you said, until it is in the released editor, we might be wrong that the license agreements are all signed and complete. I agree to hold off putting the street view images in the wiki until the editor is released with the street view link from Waze.
I'm pretty confident that Waze wouldn't bother programming a probably somewhat difficult-to-program feature into the editor at all if they didn't have permission. And I doubt they'd be allowed to let any of the editors use them in that case, not even the beta test group. If they weren't licensed to Waze, we couldn't use them to edit.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Hey, I've been busier than expected with school starting back up. I haven't had much time to be on the forums, much less do any major map editing or write an entire wiki article. I may have some time to flesh out some language one evening next week, but I can't promise anything right now.

I think we've laid out a pretty good framework for it, though, so if anyone wants to step in that should be fine. I'm certainly willing to spiff it up later.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I have a few images, as I mentioned in my notes on Alan's page:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjbhjcznn97w0f8/uVXCDtKDp7

Not many at all, though. I ran out of time too! :lol:
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Riamus wrote:Could you add an example for how best to handle "school days" restrictions? Obviously, Mon-Fri and times, but we don't need those during the summer months. We want it to repeat every year, so just putting a date range doesn't seem right because you have to enter a year. How should we handle these?
You should not enter any restrictions for school zones, unless the roads are actually closed to traffic.
Many streets near me change to one-way during school in/out times.

I have not been including date ranges unless the sign specifically says "SCHOOL DAYS". Most of them aren't any more specific than "SCHOOL / [Do Not Enter] / MON-FRI / 8:30 AM - 9:15 AM / 2:30 PM - 3:45 PM" or whatever. Better safe than sorry, I guess.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I have to retract my statement. I've decided that this segment could exist in the wild.
Ahahahaha, good, cause I couldn't find the problem at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
The blurb on 24 hour time is incorrect; if it is read literally it will read that 12 AM is 12:00 and 12 PM is 24:00.

Current:
The time is entered in [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock 24-hour format] meaning there is no AM or PM entered. Instead AM times are entered directly and PM times are entered by adding '''12''' to the hour. For example a schedule of 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM would instead be entered as 10:00 to 15:00. The minutes are not any different between the systems.
Proposed (lookin' all pretty for the forums):
The time is entered in 24-hour format, meaning "AM" and "PM" are not used. To convert from 12-hour time to 24-hour time, follow these guidelines:
  • The hour including and following midnight (12:00 AM) is "hour zero" in 24-hour time. So, "12:00 AM" and "12:59 AM" are entered as "0:00" and "0:59", respectively.
  • Between 1:00 AM and 11:59 AM, the clocks are the same. So, "1:00 AM" and "11:59 AM" are entered as "1:00" and "11:59", respectively.
  • During the hour including and following noon (12:00 PM), the clocks are the same. So, "12:00 PM" and "12:59 PM" are entered as "12:00" and "12:59", respectively.
  • Between 1:00 PM and 11:59 PM, to convert from 12-hour time to 24-hour time, add 12 to the hour. So, "1:00 PM" and "11:59 PM" are entered as "13:00" and "23:59", respectively.
Minutes do not change between the clocks.

For example, a schedule of 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM would instead be entered as 10:00 to 15:00; a schedule of midnight to noon (12:00 AM to 12:00 PM) would instead be entered as 0:00 to 12:00.
Proposed (Wiki markup):

Code: Select all

The time is entered in [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock 24-hour format], meaning "AM" and "PM" are not used. To convert from 12-hour time to 24-hour time, follow these guidelines:
*The hour including and following midnight (12:00 AM) is "hour zero" in 24-hour time. So, "12:00 AM" and "12:59 AM" are entered as "0:00" and "0:59", respectively.
*Between 1:00 AM and 11:59 AM, the clocks are the same. So, "1:00 AM" and "11:59 AM" are entered as "1:00" and "11:59", respectively.
*During the hour including and following noon (12:00 PM), the clocks are the same. So, "12:00 PM" and "12:59 PM" are entered as "12:00" and "12:59", respectively.
*Between 1:00 PM and 11:59 PM, to convert from 12-hour time to 24-hour time, add '''12''' to the hour. So, "1:00 PM" and "11:59 PM" are entered as "13:00" and "23:59", respectively.

Minutes do not change between the clocks.

For example, a schedule of 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM would instead be entered as 10:00 to 15:00; a schedule of midnight to noon (12:00 AM to 12:00 PM) would instead be entered as 0:00 to 12:00.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
"For PM times, add 12 to the hour" is straight up wrong for the entire 12:00 PM hour.

It would be clearer as a table, anyway. It's way easier to read a bulleted list or a table if the question is "if this, do this".
12 hour timewhat to do24 hour time
12:00 AM (midnight) - 12:59 AMsubtract 12 from hour0:00 - 0:59
1:00 AM - 11:59 AM
12:00 PM (noon) - 12:59 PM
nothing1:00 - 11:59
12:00 - 12:59
1:00 PM - 11:59 PMadd 12 to hour13:00 - 23:59
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message