HOV "Lanes"

Post by
The HOV wiki entry
I have not read anywhere how to handle HOV lanes that have no define entrance and exit. We have one county that has changed a few of their HOV lanes to allow you to enter or exit when every you want. And other states allowing entrance and exit as long as there is no yellow line... It has been pointed out to me that the wiki states we need to map the HOV lanes.

The HOV lanes that are mapped in southern California are ones with defined entrance and exits. Once everything is setup (TBTL, routing, client) then those lanes would (should) work...

So if a HOV lanes is "free will", then there is no easy way to have the routing engine to work (once it is turned on) for the HOV. I don't think we want to be putting in "ramps" every ??? (100 feet, 1/2 mile, mile, or ???(whatever).) One resolution is a "Lane indicator" or something for the segment to indicate that one of the lanes is HOV (left, right, ???). But we all know that is FAR from now....

I bring this up to help with the wiki understanding of what needs to be mapped for HOV lanes. The HOV wiki page should state that no HOV lanes should be mapped if it is a "free will" lane.

POSTER_ID:1034730

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If the HOV lane is just part of the main roadway, I don't think they should be mapped. If it is a lane which is significantly and/or physically separated. Map the kind which you totally cannot get out of whenever you need to (a solid white line doesn't count) and which often skips some exits and you simply have no choice.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
In my admittedly limited experience with HOV lanes, the ones which run on the same unbroken stretch of roadway, not physically separated, the HOV lane often is just about as busy as the rest of the freeway.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AndyPoms wrote:If it's just a lane and not a separate road, the GPS system (not Waze, but the actual GPS system) doesn't have the resolution to know which lane you are in, so it won't be able to tell if you are in the HOV lane or not.
True enough. But that gets better in generations of phones and devices. We know we've seen drives which clearly show lane-specific correct detail and that is likely to happen more often. I'm actually moving towards the fence on whether to map the close-in HOV lanes. Drivers certainly will expect the guidance so how to provide it? Is that perhaps part of the future lane-guidance feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
james9becker wrote:In response to CBenson's comments, another place where there are speed differences is at stop lights where the wait time is dependent on the direction taken after the light. It becomes even more fun when this intersection is at a freeway exit. Then there can be a multitude of potential directions. With different signal timing and right turn on red.
Waze already stored every segment-to-segment transit time. But this is quite a different situation than HOV lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
Well, it's not a restricted road then, it's a restricted lane.

In my opinion, HOV/HOT "lanes" that are separated from the main road should be mapped, those that are just separate lanes (with out dedicated entrances & exits) should not.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
If it's just a lane and not a separate road, the GPS system (not Waze, but the actual GPS system) doesn't have the resolution to know which lane you are in, so it won't be able to tell if you are in the HOV lane or not.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
The lane guidance in other GPS units is done essentially by segment - it doesn't actually know what lane you are in, but information about the number lanes on the segment you are on.

Besides at a 95% confidence level, civilian GPS is only accurate to 7.8 meters (just over 25 feet)(1) - and minimum lane width in the US is 12 feet (2) so 25 feet covers two full lanes on either side.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
jwriddle wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:The lane guidance in other GPS units is done essentially by segment - it doesn't actually know what lane you are in, but information about the number lanes on the segment you are on.

Besides at a 95% confidence level, civilian GPS is only accurate to 7.8 meters (just over 25 feet)(1) - and minimum lane width in the US is 12 feet (2) so 25 feet covers two full lanes on either side.
You're a walking Wiki of stats. :o
I looked it all up & I cited my sources (the little numbers in parentheses).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by bgodette
Non separated HOV/HOT lanes should remain unmapped and left until we get some of the additional attributes from Google. This will include number of lanes and hopefully you can specify how many lanes are HOV/HOT. That combined with car profile in the client can separate out average speed data between HOV/HOT and regular lanes.

Or we wait 5 years for all our phones to have GPS chips that use the three (four?) major GPS systems at the same time for sub 1 meter accuracy. :ugeek:
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
sketch wrote:This will probably affect the "current traffic" speed, yes, but it shouldn't affect historical data, provided that the GPS traces are accurate enough. That's done with later analysis once your drives are uploaded.
I agree that's the likely case. The client has to operate on the assumption you're following its directions as accuracy isn't yet high enough across all platforms to conclusively determine you've actually deviated two lanes width without a lot of false positives.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message