Driveways

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Driveways

Postby Aqualung812 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Very good advice, thank you jasonh300.

As to the second part about a wiki entry? It took a great deal of time to filter through all the pages of comments on this & even to find this thread.

I fear that others will not take the time to find this & make their own calls.
I noticed a UR requesting a road near a driveway, and a rank 5 is saying that Waze typically does not add driveways, even though this one is aprox 500m and serves two homes:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TT&env=usa

I will discuss this with the editor first, but it sure would be nice to link back to a wiki entry saying what we do or do not do.
Aqualung812
Columbus, Indiana, USA
Aqualung812

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Aqualung812 wrote:Very good advice, thank you jasonh300.

As to the second part about a wiki entry? It took a great deal of time to filter through all the pages of comments on this & even to find this thread.

I fear that others will not take the time to find this & make their own calls.
I noticed a UR requesting a road near a driveway, and a rank 5 is saying that Waze typically does not add driveways, even though this one is aprox 500m and serves two homes:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TT&env=usa

I will discuss this with the editor first, but it sure would be nice to link back to a wiki entry saying what we do or do not do.

This sounds like the very situation where a driveway is needed and permissible. Try to contact the Level 5 and point them toward this thread if necessary.

@kentsmith9 was doing a lot of the Wiki work, and may already have something going with this that never got completed. I'm hoping he'll see this and respond.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm

I lost track of this one. I plowed through the 11 pages again and I believe I have captured our general consensus in this new Driveway page.

If anyone thinks I misunderstood any of the comments or recommendations in this thread when I translated the page let's discuss here so we can resolve it.

We can add some visuals of some of the examples. I think this thread has a number of good ones we can consider. If there are other layout recommendations please let me know. I tried to keep it as simple as possible.

I also added a note on Road Types leading back to this new page.

I don't recall if this was a USA only set of recommendations and the page should be noted as such, or do we believe it is universal enough?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:31 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I lost track of this one. I plowed through the 11 pages again and I believe I have captured our general consensus in this new Driveway page.

I don't recall if this was a USA only set of recommendations and the page should be noted as such, or do we believe it is universal enough?

Thanks, Kent. That's a good first swipe. I made one change to "marked as Private Road" to read "set as Private Road type" because the first (marked) could be interpreted as "named."

I think some prettification, adding some example images would be good to move it to perfection.

I am not sure what the international community's opinion of this is. I would hope for universal application.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion