Driveways

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Driveways

Postby Aqualung812 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Very good advice, thank you jasonh300.

As to the second part about a wiki entry? It took a great deal of time to filter through all the pages of comments on this & even to find this thread.

I fear that others will not take the time to find this & make their own calls.
I noticed a UR requesting a road near a driveway, and a rank 5 is saying that Waze typically does not add driveways, even though this one is aprox 500m and serves two homes:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TT&env=usa

I will discuss this with the editor first, but it sure would be nice to link back to a wiki entry saying what we do or do not do.
Aqualung812
Columbus, Indiana, USA
Aqualung812

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Aqualung812 wrote:Very good advice, thank you jasonh300.

As to the second part about a wiki entry? It took a great deal of time to filter through all the pages of comments on this & even to find this thread.

I fear that others will not take the time to find this & make their own calls.
I noticed a UR requesting a road near a driveway, and a rank 5 is saying that Waze typically does not add driveways, even though this one is aprox 500m and serves two homes:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TT&env=usa

I will discuss this with the editor first, but it sure would be nice to link back to a wiki entry saying what we do or do not do.

This sounds like the very situation where a driveway is needed and permissible. Try to contact the Level 5 and point them toward this thread if necessary.

@kentsmith9 was doing a lot of the Wiki work, and may already have something going with this that never got completed. I'm hoping he'll see this and respond.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm

I lost track of this one. I plowed through the 11 pages again and I believe I have captured our general consensus in this new Driveway page.

If anyone thinks I misunderstood any of the comments or recommendations in this thread when I translated the page let's discuss here so we can resolve it.

We can add some visuals of some of the examples. I think this thread has a number of good ones we can consider. If there are other layout recommendations please let me know. I tried to keep it as simple as possible.

I also added a note on Road Types leading back to this new page.

I don't recall if this was a USA only set of recommendations and the page should be noted as such, or do we believe it is universal enough?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:31 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I lost track of this one. I plowed through the 11 pages again and I believe I have captured our general consensus in this new Driveway page.

I don't recall if this was a USA only set of recommendations and the page should be noted as such, or do we believe it is universal enough?

Thanks, Kent. That's a good first swipe. I made one change to "marked as Private Road" to read "set as Private Road type" because the first (marked) could be interpreted as "named."

I think some prettification, adding some example images would be good to move it to perfection.

I am not sure what the international community's opinion of this is. I would hope for universal application.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion