Driveways

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Driveways

Postby Riamus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Really? Ok, then... as long as it's an official sign regardless of color. I've only ever seen official street signs that are green, but whatever is official is what I meant; not those signs you can buy at a store. :)
Riamus

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Riamus wrote:Just to clarify on this... if the name is official, it should be mapped regardless what the name is. Official meaning there is an official green street sign there (or there could be one officially placed there),...

Around these parts, private drives get blue signs. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:49 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
mapcat wrote:
Riamus wrote:Ok. Though I'd still say that it would be a private road, which would be the same mapping as a driveway since we don't have a driveway road type. If someone pays to get their driveway named, it doesn't make it a public street.

IMO if it has a name, it is not a driveway, so if it is private, call it a private road, and if it is public, call it a street. Just not a driveway. ;)

I believe mapcat is saying that if a road has a name and is behind a gate or marked as private, it is not a driveway, but merely a private road. If it is named and publicly accessible it is not a driveway, but a street. However, since we don't have a driveway designator, I'm not sure this argument is important because it is either a street or private road.

Right. IF we get a driveway road type, then we can designate it differently whether it is named or not. Until then, as I mentioned, it's still just a private road unless it's meant as a public road. If it was someone's driveway and they paid to get it named, it won't be public, so it would be a private road. No different from an unnamed driveway other than that it has a name on it. The road type would remain the same. If we ever get a driveway road type, then we'll have named driveways marked as private roads (or public if needed) and unnamed driveways marked as driveways. But that isn't the case at this time.

kentsmith9 wrote:I think we all agree there are exceptions to every rule. If the city recognizes the name on a road and other maps recognize the name on the road, then I say we name it. Our point was if someone decided to name their driveway "Joe Rd", that is not a recognized name and we should not map the name.

Just to clarify on this... if the name is official, it should be mapped regardless what the name is. Official meaning there is an official green street sign there (or there could be one officially placed there), or if the city or county has approved the name as official. If someone just sticks a sign at the end of the driveway, then that isn't official. In the US, I believe there is a fee to officially name a driveway. If that has been paid, then we should map it and name it. And the assumption is that it was paid if there is either an official street sign there or the street name is on official city, county, or state maps.
Riamus

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:37 am

I guess the other way of looking at that particular issue is if the roadway is named (and possibly has addresses associated), it should be mapped. Once mapped you can decide what kind of roadway that should be. This original topic was about WHEN to map driveways, so I propose we just make that first point up front to prevent people getting confused (as we were a bit here). :mrgreen:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:06 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
russblau wrote:Well, I can tell you for a fact that at least in some places (Sussex Co DE) there are some private roads that have a name and at least one address assigned to them, but they sometimes have no visible sign and look like a driveway.

I think we all agree there are exceptions to every rule. If the city recognizes the name on a road and other maps recognize the name on the road, then I say we name it. Our point was if someone decided to name their driveway "Joe Rd", that is not a recognized name and we should not map the name.

Plus if there's an address assigned to it, then it's an address, and we need the named road so we can put an address point on it. That's the top reason for the blanket admissibility of named "driveways" as I see it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:23 pm

russblau wrote:Well, I can tell you for a fact that at least in some places (Sussex Co DE) there are some private roads that have a name and at least one address assigned to them, but they sometimes have no visible sign and look like a driveway.

I think we all agree there are exceptions to every rule. If the city recognizes the name on a road and other maps recognize the name on the road, then I say we name it. Our point was if someone decided to name their driveway "Joe Rd", that is not a recognized name and we should not map the name.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby russblau » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:12 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
mapcat wrote:
Riamus wrote:However I would not recommend naming the "Private Road / Driveway" unless the name it is clearly visible to the driver as they approach the road in question.

Well, I can tell you for a fact that at least in some places (Sussex Co DE) there are some private roads that have a name and at least one address assigned to them, but they sometimes have no visible sign and look like a driveway.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:35 pm

mapcat wrote:
Riamus wrote:Ok. Though I'd still say that it would be a private road, which would be the same mapping as a driveway since we don't have a driveway road type. If someone pays to get their driveway named, it doesn't make it a public street.

IMO if it has a name, it is not a driveway, so if it is private, call it a private road, and if it is public, call it a street. Just not a driveway. ;)

I believe mapcat is saying that if a road has a name and is behind a gate or marked as private, it is not a driveway, but merely a private road. If it is named and publicly accessible it is not a driveway, but a street. However, since we don't have a driveway designator, I'm not sure this argument is important because it is either a street or private road.

However I would not recommend naming the "Private Road / Driveway" unless the name it is clearly visible to the driver as they approach the road in question.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm

mapcat

Postby Riamus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
mapcat wrote:
Riamus wrote:I think you misread 2a3. It does say to map any driveway that is named. :)

Perhaps Kent was saying that if a driveway has a street name, it is a street, not a driveway.

Correct.

Ok. Though I'd still say that it would be a private road, which would be the same mapping as a driveway since we don't have a driveway road type. If someone pays to get their driveway named, it doesn't make it a public street.
Riamus

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion