Driveways

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Driveways

Postby Riamus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:49 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
mapcat wrote:
Riamus wrote:Ok. Though I'd still say that it would be a private road, which would be the same mapping as a driveway since we don't have a driveway road type. If someone pays to get their driveway named, it doesn't make it a public street.

IMO if it has a name, it is not a driveway, so if it is private, call it a private road, and if it is public, call it a street. Just not a driveway. ;)

I believe mapcat is saying that if a road has a name and is behind a gate or marked as private, it is not a driveway, but merely a private road. If it is named and publicly accessible it is not a driveway, but a street. However, since we don't have a driveway designator, I'm not sure this argument is important because it is either a street or private road.

Right. IF we get a driveway road type, then we can designate it differently whether it is named or not. Until then, as I mentioned, it's still just a private road unless it's meant as a public road. If it was someone's driveway and they paid to get it named, it won't be public, so it would be a private road. No different from an unnamed driveway other than that it has a name on it. The road type would remain the same. If we ever get a driveway road type, then we'll have named driveways marked as private roads (or public if needed) and unnamed driveways marked as driveways. But that isn't the case at this time.

kentsmith9 wrote:I think we all agree there are exceptions to every rule. If the city recognizes the name on a road and other maps recognize the name on the road, then I say we name it. Our point was if someone decided to name their driveway "Joe Rd", that is not a recognized name and we should not map the name.

Just to clarify on this... if the name is official, it should be mapped regardless what the name is. Official meaning there is an official green street sign there (or there could be one officially placed there), or if the city or county has approved the name as official. If someone just sticks a sign at the end of the driveway, then that isn't official. In the US, I believe there is a fee to officially name a driveway. If that has been paid, then we should map it and name it. And the assumption is that it was paid if there is either an official street sign there or the street name is on official city, county, or state maps.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Riamus wrote:Just to clarify on this... if the name is official, it should be mapped regardless what the name is. Official meaning there is an official green street sign there (or there could be one officially placed there),...

Around these parts, private drives get blue signs. :)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Really? Ok, then... as long as it's an official sign regardless of color. I've only ever seen official street signs that are green, but whatever is official is what I meant; not those signs you can buy at a store. :)
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Riamus wrote:Really? Ok, then... as long as it's an official sign regardless of color.

Just for reference:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=52943864
Attachments
private_rd_signage.JPG
private_rd_signage.JPG (17.56 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Riamus wrote:Really? Ok, then... as long as it's an official sign regardless of color. I've only ever seen official street signs that are green, but whatever is official is what I meant; not those signs you can buy at a store. :)

All street signs in New Orleans are white-on-blue, and some neighborhoods in Metairie and Kenner have their own white-on-black signs. You know, for what it's worth. :D
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:32 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Riamus wrote:Really? Ok, then... as long as it's an official sign regardless of color.

Just for reference:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=52943864

I knew Oregon had some strange Ducks. :)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:39 pm

MUTCD calls for green signs with white lettering, but I don't think they'll withhold federal funding over city street signs. Although this is the reason why NYC got rid of their historic color coded street signs, which really sucks. Who cares what color the signs are, as long as there's some contrast between the background and lettering.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Section Section 2D.43 of the MUTCD provides for other colors to indicate jurisdiction of the road, but there are not really different authorities for maintaining the roads in the five boroughs are there?

An alternative background color other than the normal guide sign color of green may be used for Street Name (D3-1 or D3-1a) signs where the highway agency determines this is necessary to assist road users in determining jurisdictional authority for roads.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 pm

CBenson wrote:Section Section 2D.43 of the MUTCD provides for other colors to indicate jurisdiction of the road, but there are not really different authorities for maintaining the roads in the five boroughs are there?

No. As far as I know, it's a city agency that handles that.

In City of New Orleans, all the street signs are blue.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby akpolarbee » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Should some of it depend on local situations? It's not uncommon where I live to have multiple subdivisions where everyone has 500m driveways. They are all marked at the beginning of the drive and are rural enough that no mapping software is going to confuse your location, other than knowing you aren't on the road at all.
I think mapping all those driveways would just lead to a cluttered map.
akpolarbee
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion