Driveways

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Driveways

Postby mapcat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:48 am

I don't think we can honestly say that driveways longer than X should always be mapped. Here are some images for reference (for context, click to the right of each image for a permalink):

20.jpg
20.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
This driveway is approximately 20 m, and is of typical length in suburban areas of the USA.

200.jpg
200.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
These driveways are 200-300m long, but the houses are still within view of the road.

100.jpg
100.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
OTOH, this house is less than 150m from the highway, but it's obscured by two rows of trees and a railway. Does its curving driveway belong on the map?
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby mapcat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 am

Riamus wrote:I think you misread 2a3. It does say to map any driveway that is named. :)

Perhaps Kent was saying that if a driveway has a street name, it is a street, not a driveway.

I agree with Kent's thoughts and recommendations.
mapcat

Postby mapcat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Riamus wrote:Ok. Though I'd still say that it would be a private road, which would be the same mapping as a driveway since we don't have a driveway road type. If someone pays to get their driveway named, it doesn't make it a public street.

IMO if it has a name, it is not a driveway, so if it is private, call it a private road, and if it is public, call it a street. Just not a driveway. ;)
mapcat

Postby ncc1701v » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:06 am

Driveways that are a bit long and are parallel to a public road, since Waze might think a vehicle in the driveway is on the road.

Driveways that are not roads (not named) but serve multiple residences.
Last edited by ncc1701v on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby ncc1701v » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:42 pm

mapcat wrote:
Riamus wrote:The house location is very close to another road without access to that road so that correct directions can be provided. This may go away once we are using entirely internal address mapping using the stop points.

Not always, since this argument could be used to defend really short driveways in dense developments

OK but in any case, put the driveway in if navigation would otherwise be likely to end up on the wrong street. And house numbers won't be accurate everywhere for years.
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby petervdveen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:53 am

Some europe feedback.
mapcat wrote:- Driveways should always be private roads.

Or parking lot. Depends what the main function is, I think.
Example
- Don't map private driveways serving single residences or businesses, unless they are especially long (how long?).

I think 40 or 50 meters should be ok.
Map
Don't map
- Don't map drive-thrus at fast food, banks, etc.

Bank drive-thrus?
We do map the MC Donald's drive thru.
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&l ... =211403366
- Don't map driveways just to make map problems go away.

Why not? ;-)
- Map driveways when they serve multiple residences. Name them according to the street they lead from, and add house numbers for each residence.

Correct.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby petervdveen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:05 am

Does the connected (white) road have another name?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC Sensation Z710e met Tapatalk 4
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby petervdveen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:37 pm

So, if I'm correct this street is nameless.

Can you point me to the post that shows what is the reason for that?
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Riamus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:00 pm

My thoughts for residential driveways:

Map them as private roads when:
  • The driveway is long -- perhaps double what is a typical distance from the road for a house inside city limits? Not sure of actual length, but that sounds about right to me.
  • The house location is very close to another road without access to that road so that correct directions can be provided. This may go away once we are using entirely internal address mapping using the stop points.
  • The driveway supports more than one house.
  • The driveway is named with an official street sign (not a custom sign).

In addition to residential driveways, all actual roads should be mapped regardless of whether or not they are private. If it's a gated community or even just one that has a posted "private road" street sign, it should be mapped. It doesn't matter if it's a private facility, government facility, or housing subdivision. If it is a road (as opposed to just a driveway), map it.

We'll leave parking lot roads for a separate discussion if needed, though I have to say that I *support* mapping drive-thrus and any parking lot with more than a couple GPS tracks in it, even if it's just a single parking lot road in and nothing else. If there aren't any GPS tracks, then it doesn't need anything in it until/unless we decide to mark all commercial lots somewhere down the road. Traffic problems are an obvious concern and driving in the middle of a white space just looks really amateur. We already have that problem with Street types where you can't see the road you're on.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:47 pm

About the only time a dense development would be wrong is if there is a road on the front and back of the property. That's not normally the case. In a dense urban environment, you typically have two rows of houses then a road, followed by two rows of houses, followed by a road. If the house number is all of the way into the other property's boundaries behind you, then that's really a problem that needs to be fixed in the address rather than in mapping. The only other way it would get you on the wrong street is when you're at the intersection. And that's not really a problem because you're still right there. The big problem is when you're in the country, where you might have a half mile to a mile (or more) between roads and it drops you off on another road requiring you to drive quite a long distance to find the actual entrance to the property. Yes, it's an issue, but I wouldn't let that drive mapping practices if the problem is with one address being placed in someone else's yard.

A really short residential driveway should never need to be mapped. There may be some situation where it makes sense to mark it. I'd have to see an example of one before I'd say it was okay, though.

As far as named driveways, it is possible in the US to get your driveway officially named for a fee. It still is a driveway, but it now is a named "road". I think these need to be marked because they are now officially named even if it is only for a single house. That's why I included that in the list.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion