Driveways

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Driveways

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 pm

jdeyoung wrote:The need to have a driveway has more to do with the closest point to wherever a geo-coded address is indicated.


This is not a reason to have a driveway. The Waze internal addressing lets you assign both the location of the address (e.g. over the building), and a point on the road for an address (where the driveway meets the road).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 7568
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 976 times

Re: Driveways

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 pm

CBenson wrote:Section Section 2D.43 of the MUTCD provides for other colors to indicate jurisdiction of the road, but there are not really different authorities for maintaining the roads in the five boroughs are there?


No. As far as I know, it's a city agency that handles that.

In City of New Orleans, all the street signs are blue.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 7568
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 976 times

Re: Driveways

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:39 pm

MUTCD calls for green signs with white lettering, but I don't think they'll withhold federal funding over city street signs. Although this is the reason why NYC got rid of their historic color coded street signs, which really sucks. Who cares what color the signs are, as long as there's some contrast between the background and lettering.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 7568
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 976 times

Re: Driveways

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Aside from the occasional MP, I've never had a problem at my local McWendyKing with Waze (it is not mapped). So, why should we consider changing something that is working? I know Ehud wants these things mapped, but unless they fix the display issues associated with parking lots (and the navigation issues that I've heard send people to the wrong exit) I don't think we should change anything (yet).


I've been mapping them as conservatively as possible when MPs come up, but I agree with AndyPoms (and have been pestering the developers for months) that the display of these roads needs to change if we're ever going to have functional parking lot navigation because adding in all these PLot roads makes the map look REALLY BAD.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 7568
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 976 times

Re: Driveways

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:16 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
jdeyoung wrote:The need to have a driveway has more to do with the closest point to wherever a geo-coded address is indicated.


This is not a reason to have a driveway. The Waze internal addressing lets you assign both the location of the address (e.g. over the building), and a point on the road for an address (where the driveway meets the road).


If and when it ever goes live.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
Image
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 1804
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:44 am
Location: Californialand, USA
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Driveways

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Someone should start a new thread for the Drive Thru discussion.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
Image
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 1804
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:44 am
Location: Californialand, USA
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Driveways

Postby CBenson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:59 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:(warning, hack approaching) Split the mall entrance into two one-way segments. Road in named Bollinger Crossing, road out un-named.

I can't think of the exact situation right now, but I know I have come across places where I wish a road segment could have different names depending on your approach. (And I don't think I used the above hack -- I just accepted a less than ideal state.)

I've seen it done, like here.

I'll also note where the road naming at the Annapolis Mall has evolved to. There is a named ring road, but the rest of the parking lot roads are unnamed. Thus, when entering the mall you are given instructions to turn at "Annapolis Mall." When in leaving the mall, you are given instruction to turn at "Annapolis Mall" to get to the ring road, but then to turn at the street you exit to to leave the ring road. I don't think anyone planned this, but it works well enough that no one has changed it recently.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
 
Posts: 10330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: Driveways

Postby CBenson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Riamus wrote:
I disagree. If "Bollinger Crossing" is the name of the mall, and it's on a sign that looks like a street sign, the street should be named.

If you think it's confusing that it would continue to say "Bollinger Crossing", surely it would be far more confusing if it continued to say "San Ramon Valley Blvd" instead, which is what would happen otherwise.


As mentioned above, that makes exiting the mall not make any sense. If the road is named, then it makes sense to say to turn onto the road of that name than to say to turn onto some other road. If I'm going to the police station and the road leading to the parking lot is called Prison Way, the instruction should be to turn onto Prison Way and not to turn onto City Police Station. There isn't any reason why malls should be different.

Given a sign hanging from the traffic light that looks like this:
BollingerXing.png
BollingerXing.png (33.5 KiB) Viewed 775 times

I'm not seeing any difference in what the two of you are saying.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
 
Posts: 10330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: Driveways

Postby CBenson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Riamus wrote:It doesn't hurt navigation for the map to have the name on it even if the driver won't see a sign pointing to the road.

I now see what Kent is saying and agree. It can hurt navigation to give entrance roads to large mall/shopping complexes the name of the mall and leave the rest of the parking lot roads unnamed. Internally when exiting the lot I get turn instructions that use the name of the next named segment in the route. Thus, where there are multiple exits it is more helpful to be hearing the name of road at the exit I should be working towards, rather than a mall name that does not distinguish between exits.

However, if there are actual road signs that call different roads different names at the entrances or within parking lots, I think those names should be mapped.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
 
Posts: 10330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: Driveways

Postby CBenson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:15 am

kentsmith9 wrote:I would not think the addresses in a mall or other shopping center would have an address of the parking lot roads. I assume they are always on the main named road.

That's not how it always works around here. Of course it depends a bit on what you call a parking lot road.
http://local.safeway.com/md/gambrills-1596.html
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lon ... TFTTTTFTTT

kentsmith9 wrote: I would not advocate naming the parking lot roads even when named per another thread where we discovered the entire parking lot would need to be the one name

Why does the entire parking need to be one name? I don't remember the other thread.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
 
Posts: 10330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher