Driveways

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Driveways

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Aside from the occasional MP, I've never had a problem at my local McWendyKing with Waze (it is not mapped). So, why should we consider changing something that is working? I know Ehud wants these things mapped, but unless they fix the display issues associated with parking lots (and the navigation issues that I've heard send people to the wrong exit) I don't think we should change anything (yet).

I've been mapping them as conservatively as possible when MPs come up, but I agree with AndyPoms (and have been pestering the developers for months) that the display of these roads needs to change if we're ever going to have functional parking lot navigation because adding in all these PLot roads makes the map look REALLY BAD.

Not to mention confusing...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Aside from the occasional MP, I've never had a problem at my local McWendyKing with Waze (it is not mapped). So, why should we consider changing something that is working? I know Ehud wants these things mapped, but unless they fix the display issues associated with parking lots (and the navigation issues that I've heard send people to the wrong exit) I don't think we should change anything (yet).

I've been mapping them as conservatively as possible when MPs come up, but I agree with AndyPoms (and have been pestering the developers for months) that the display of these roads needs to change if we're ever going to have functional parking lot navigation because adding in all these PLot roads makes the map look REALLY BAD.
jasonh300

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Someone should start a new thread for the Drive Thru discussion.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 pm

sketch wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
sketch wrote:The point is that we're making a clear set of rules, rather than allowing each editor to make their own. And drive-thrus are mapped, just not as private roads, so they're not under the ambit of our discussion.

Drive-thrus fall under the "Small Parking Lots" clause and are NOT mapped.
Which is changing. Read Alan's post above. We're discussing updating the Wiki to standards that actually work. Lets not use outdated existing Wiki thinking in our discussion.
Aside from the occasional MP, I've never had a problem at my local McWendyKing with Waze (it is not mapped). So, why should we consider changing something that is working? I know Ehud wants these things mapped, but unless they fix the display issues associated with parking lots (and the navigation issues that I've heard send people to the wrong exit) I don't think we should change anything (yet).
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby russblau » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:30 pm

jondrush wrote:
1. Nearly universal agreement ("Rules"?):
a. Map driveways that serve multiple distinct addresses or properties.
b. Do NOT map driveways less than 10 meters long or that serve a single address or property.
c. Mapped driveways should be marked as "Private Road".

2. General agreement ("Guidelines"?)
a. Map driveways over 50 meters
a2. Map driveways if Waze might confuse being on that driveway for being on an adjacent street or vice-versa.
b. Map driveways if the address coordinates are likely to route to an adjacent road that is inaccessible to the address.
d. Do NOT map driveways just to resolve a UR or system generated error.
e. Do NOT map driveways just because they appear on other mapping services.

3. No current consensus ("Things to consider"?)
a. Name the driveway according to the street to which it's attached.
b. For named driveways, add house numbers.

I think the minimum should be 10m. I altered some other comments for grammar and split 2a into two topics to discuss separately.

Suggest inserting 2(a3):

Map a driveway if it has its own street name and at least one address is assigned to that name, regardless of length.

In some rural areas, there are private "roads" that are basically glorified driveways, but have street signs and house numbers assigned to them; this guideline would avoid any question about whether such "roads" qualify to be mapped.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

Postby jondrush » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:03 pm

1. Nearly universal agreement ("Rules"?):
a. Map driveways that serve multiple distinct addresses or properties.
b. Do NOT map driveways less than 10 meters long or that serve a single address or property.
c. Mapped driveways should be marked as "Private Road".

2. General agreement ("Guidelines"?)
a. Map driveways over 50 meters
a2. Map driveways if Waze might confuse being on that driveway for being on an adjacent street or vice-versa.
b. Map driveways if the address coordinates are likely to route to an adjacent road that is inaccessible to the address.
d. Do NOT map driveways just to resolve a UR or system generated error.
e. Do NOT map driveways just because they appear on other mapping services.

3. No current consensus ("Things to consider"?)
a. Name the driveway according to the street to which it's attached.
b. For named driveways, add house numbers.

I think the minimum should be 10m. I altered some other comments for grammar and split 2a into two topics to discuss separately.
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby JJLatWayz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:03 pm

sketch wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
sketch wrote:The point is that we're making a clear set of rules, rather than allowing each editor to make their own. And drive-thrus are mapped, just not as private roads, so they're not under the ambit of our discussion.

Which is changing. Read Alan's post above. We're discussing updating the Wiki to standards that actually work. Lets not use outdated existing Wiki thinking in our discussion.

So, to avoid confusion, should "Do NOT map commercial "drive-thrus"" be changed to ""Drive-thrus" - Refer to guidelines for "Parking Lot Roads""? In my opinion, and since such links are a key strength of Wikis, it's better to refer people to the appropriate guidance if they thought a drive-thru might be a "driveway" and apparently missing.
JJLatWayz

Postby sketch » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:18 pm

AndyPoms wrote:

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:14 pm

AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:07 pm

The point is that we're making a clear set of rules, rather than allowing each editor to make their own. And drive-thrus are mapped, just not as private roads, so they're not under the ambit of our discussion.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion