Driveways

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:42 pm

shellshock2872 wrote:Driveways should be to single houses not business, only to resident

That is dependent on length. I hope you read the entire thread.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:26 pm

sketch wrote:I disagree. If "Bollinger Crossing" is the name of the mall, and it's on a sign that looks like a street sign, the street should be named.

No, because it will say that also when navigating you out of the mall and that makes no sense. It certainly would be more confusing to be told to turn right and left four time at the "name of the mall" rather than the street name you are heading towards. What we need to have Waze do, rather than kludge the map, is nav instructions need to say "towards" instead of "at." And his has been discussed a lot before.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

Re: Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:10 am

kentsmith9 wrote:Alan, I reread my posts and I don't see where sketch and I proposed naming parking lot roads, so maybe there is a word choice problem I don't recognize. I definitely do not support naming PLot roads, so maybe we can add a bullet to our page that specifically calls that out.

It was this that I picked up on: "...if the roadway is named (and possibly has addresses associated), it should be mapped."

sketch also wrote "Plus if there's an address assigned to it, then it's an address, and we need the named road so we can put an address point on it. That's the top reason for the blanket admissibility of named 'driveways' as I see it."

This caught my eye because it isn't clear what is meant by the "roadway is named" and has addresses associated. Because lots of editors have already named private roads which don't actually have a name, but they do have addresses associated with the main road. And we've talked here and I've read other threads where editors are advocating naming private unnamed driveways after the main roadway because then they can set addresses and a proper stop point.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

Re: Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:02 pm

petervdveen wrote:So, if I'm correct this street is nameless.

Can you point me to the post that shows what is the reason for that?

Because it doesn't have a name.

viewtopic.php?p=545496#p545496 : kentsmith9 : "3a. If a driveway has no name, it should not be named. Names are for roads that have a visible sign that drivers can see in order to know where to turn (excluding when a sign is knocked down of course). Ehud told us not to kludge things in the map just to get something to work because then we have to undo all that is incorrect once they fix it."

viewtopic.php?p=547239#p547239: Riamus: "And I agree that 3a should not be done. Not only is it not correct, but it makes the map look bad. I've seen maps where every side street or driveway shown on it had the same name as the road. You couldn't really tell what parts were actually roads and which parts were driveways or which parts may be other roads with or without a name. It just creates a mess."

viewtopic.php?p=547538#p547538 : mapcat : "I agree with Kent's thoughts and recommendations."

viewtopic.php?p=548341#p548341 : kentsmith9 : "However I would not recommend naming the "Private Road / Driveway" unless the name it is clearly visible to the driver as they approach the road in question."


The discussion then rather turns around where @sketch and @kentsmith9 appear to go back on the previous advice and advocate for naming private roads, after which I chime in again about private roads and parking lots. If we follow the latest advice from sketch and kent, then we'd be naming every parking lot road too, something I completely disagree with.

Having the (current) correct stop-point for an address be on the private (unnamed) road or parking lot segment is not reason enough to start naming all of them. This goes against what we've been asked by Ehud: not to kludge the map. We do still need to, but when it comes to this, I see no point. Waze doesn't use internal addresses and stop-points now, and likely won't for quite some time. As has been mentioned on the addressing topic several times in other threads, Waze has to make the stop point more flexible first. Otherwise, their stop-point routing will fail to get people to the right locations.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

Re: Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 pm

petervdveen wrote:Does the connected (white) road have another name?

No, and it shouldn't. We've already discussed this kludgy workaround earlier in the thread.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

Re: Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:50 am

It stops on A and that's been my whole gripe with the stop point ever since it was introduced. I've posted multiple times about this deficiency and outright told Waze and showed them how their routing will get significantly worse if they turn on their internal addresses search without allowing the right flexibility with stop points.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

Re: Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:30 pm

jasonh300 wrote:This is not a reason to have a driveway. The Waze internal addressing lets you assign both the location of the address (e.g. over the building), and a point on the road for an address (where the driveway meets the road).

And this isn't good enough. 1) We don't name unnamed private driveways, so 2) Waze doesn't let you set the stop point on any road other than the main named one. This is a must for remote driveways and store addresses within parking lots.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

Re: Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Riamus wrote:Really? Ok, then... as long as it's an official sign regardless of color.

Just for reference:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=52943864
Attachments
private_rd_signage.JPG
private_rd_signage.JPG (17.56 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

Re: Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Riamus wrote:Just to clarify on this... if the name is official, it should be mapped regardless what the name is. Official meaning there is an official green street sign there (or there could be one officially placed there),...

Around these parts, private drives get blue signs. :)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

Re: Driveways

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:55 pm

Riamus wrote:Why wouldn't internal addressing help? You have a stop point, so Waze should route to the stop point no matter where the address point is located so long as Waze has an address for the house so that external addressing isn't needed.

It would help, but only for single-address-per-private-drive unless we continue with the kludge of naming private drives after the street they are attached to. I'm refusing to do that because it isn't accurate. Waze will fix the stop-point problems and then, when we can have stop points on unnamed private drive and parking lot segments, we'll be fine. Until then, it still won't work well enough.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23618
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1108 times
Been thanked: 4826 times

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users