Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Detour detection mechanism in the wiki

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Should the detour detection mechanism be published in the wiki? I couldn't find it, though it has been in the Global Champs forum for quite a long time, and has also appeared in the public forums. Is there a reason why it should not be?
The "detour detection mechanism" tries to prevent route options that exit major roads into minor roads (ramps, streets etc.), in order to save negligible driving time.
The idea is that drivers will prefer to remain on the major road, even if it is just a bit longer or slower.

The following scenarios are considered as a detour, and will not be shown as a possible route alternative:
  1. If the start point of the detour and end point of the detour have the same street name (only main street name - not alternative name)
  2. Detour must be more than 1 segment long (between 2 segments with the same name).

The mechanism handles 2 types of detours with slightly different properties:
  1. Highways:
    • Road types: Freeway, Major Highway - it's a detour only if the detour started out of these types, got back to these types, and in the middle the types are different.
    • Bypass length is 5km - under this threshold, the route is considered to be a detour and will not be shown as a possible route. If it is longer then 5km, it will be considered as a valid new route - and there for will be shown as a possible route.
  2. Minor Highway:
    • Road types: Minor Highway - same role here, it's a detour only if the detour started out of these types, got back to these types, and in the middle the types are different.
    • Bypass length is 500m - again, same role here as well, under this threshold, the route is considered to be a detour and will not be shown as a possible route. If it is longer then 500m, it will be considered as a valid new route - and there for will be shown as a possible route.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Small Detour Prevention Mechanism
Why the "small" here? To try and differentiate it from "large" detours which are as yet undefined in terms of Waze? I think I'm ok with it, but want a small explanation here. (pun intended)

We could make it a template file?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:You're certainly correct that there isn't another "large" detour prevention mechanism, so the "small" is not necessary.
Yeah, but maybe there will be some day, so to give this a better name, perhaps 'small' is ok. I'm having trouble figuring out what else we could call it...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Is there any objection to adding my language as a page under the Technical Information section of the wiki?
I'm fine with it. If you put this together soon, I'll throw a tweet out about it this week.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:What's soon? I've added the page.
7 days ago. :mrgreen:

Looks good. I changed the last paragraph to a small table for what I feel is faster reference/scanning. Also broke out major highway from freeway just in case it changes later. Minor Freeway may also have a different definition, though 5km is likely.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You can "move" the page. Tab at the top.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Any input on what we should call it at this point?
Does Waze's official "name" make enough sense to the genpop?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree that it should. I would propose the following:
Small Detour Prevention Mechanism

Waze routing includes a mechanism to prevent routing off a highway/freeway only to be routed right back on the same highway/freeway. The assumption is that drivers will prefer to remain on the highway/freeway even if waze calculates that taking a series of ramps or other collector/distributor roads is slightly faster or shorter.

Waze routing will not present routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when each of the following conditions are met:
1) the last segment on the highway/freeway before the detour has the same street name and same city name as the next highway/freeway segment after the detour,
2) the detour is more than one segment long,
3) the detour is over segments of a different road type than the highway/freeway, and
4) the detour is under the threshold length as defined below.

The threshold length if the highway/freeway is a freeway or a major highway is 5 kilometers. The threshold length if the highway is a minor highway is 500 meters.
The issue I have with the other quote is that it does not mention city names, which we know must be the same as well. To waze insiders this may go without saying, but in the wiki I think it needs to be said.

Where should it be added? There is the discussion on collector distributor mapping here: https://www.waze.com/wiki/Limited_Acces ... utor_Lanes
Although the detour prevention mechanism discussion may unduly complicate that section.

There is also the technical information section here: https://www.waze.com/wiki/Technical_Information
But I'm not sure if that is really meant for community editing or not.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I don't remember why I stuck "small" on there (I proposed essentially this wording in a US Champs thread). You're certainly correct that there isn't another "large" detour prevention mechanism, so the "small" is not necessary.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Is there any objection to adding my language as a page under the Technical Information section of the wiki?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message