[Page update] At Grade Connectors

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page update] At Grade Connectors

Postby jemay » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:59 pm

qwaletee wrote:Look at this example: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=32170542
So based on the turn restrictions. These segments needs to be upgraded to mH - https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 8,32179196 Doing so will insure a non drop in route continuity. The rest looks correct base on continuity of functional classification.
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US
Samsung Galaxy Note® 4 (SM-N910V) - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.9.4.0
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:30 pm

The section on turn restrictions says:
Wiki currently wrote:In the US, a simple right-turn connector between two 2-way streets, requires that the right turn be restricted at both the primary intersection, and at the connector itself so Waze will not be allowed to tell the driver to turn left across the road to get onto the connector.

This page is designed to be global. I believe other countries can use this same guide if we add the following:
Proposed update wrote:In the US and other countries with [[right-hand traffic]], a simple right-turn connector between two 2-way streets, requires that the right turn be restricted at both the primary intersection, and at the connector itself so Waze will not be allowed to tell the driver to turn left across the road to get onto the connector. For countries with [[left-hand traffic]], the same principal is applied in the opposite direction.

Can anyone think of any other reason why this is currently stated as a US specific issue? If not I will implement the change.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:48 am

sketch wrote:the page title should be "At-grade connectors" rather than "At-Grade Connectors", and many of the headings should be changed ("Road type", "Naming", "Geometry", "Turn restrictions"; the rest is superfluous).

Absolutely true. The style guide I am working on will show how page names should be created. We are following the Wikipedia style guide and all pages should be sentence caps only, unless it includes a product name. There are a few other exceptions, but yes we should.

When we move pages we have to be careful to also move the links to the page. It helps prevent double redirects in the future.
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title for future searches
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:55 am

qwaletee wrote:
CBenson wrote:Doesn't the "What links here" link in the "Tools" box at the bottom left of each page provide the information.

Yes, it does. Wiki even reminds you to check for such redirects when you do a move.

I just fixed a double-redirect yesterday.

+100!! :ugeek:

qwaletee wrote:There are also tools we can run to find stragglers, assuming we're still mostly compatible with wikimedia.

We should be essentially the same. I have not yet played around with the many tools on our Wiki yet. Let me know how it goes. Actually it would be great to start a thread on external Wiki tools if you check any of them out before me.

sketch wrote:Fixing redirects is as simple as modifying the links on the pages that link to the old name, yeah?

Yes.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Personally I believe map clutter should not take precedence over functional operations and clarity for drivers. Also I am not convinced that the higher or lower of the road type is any more or less cluttered on the map.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:33 pm

I believe most of the AGCs I see are added due to the distance of the turn lane from the intersection causing automated map problems. This will be resolved when we get the junction box (soon :lol: ).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:59 pm

PesachZ wrote:it would be typed the same as the road leasing into it, not the highest connected road.

The visual drawback to this is you then have a pinwheel look with crossing roads with two different types with each right-hand turn being the type of that road. However I am not sure the visual is that bad if we get the expected instructions.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm with sketch that I like the simpler form, but wouldn't stop using Waze by seeing one or the other.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:45 pm

PesachZ wrote:Another option to splits the street name display is to add an extra node on the AGC 5m in, and only name that first 5m section with the long name

I agree unless we have instances where the addition of a second segment causes a different result in the special U-turn. I don't recall if some special U-turns required adding or removing an extra segment though.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:19 pm

To clarify one point on your decision to remove the AGC in your first example, the commit point is actually the solid white line 20-30 meters near the gas station driveway point before the turn, not the hard concrete curb.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion