Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:Or we need to get them to remove that penalty.
Any word on the status of this penalty. If they aren't going to remove/change it, then we should implement their advice not use ramp type for jughandles.
OK, so, the "penalty" is only when there is a detour. There was no detour in this case.

The route took a straight-then-U-then-right instead of the jughandle because the former was faster at that time. Oddly, when I test in the live map, the jughandle is always the alternate route, no matter which time I select (random sample, I didn't check every single one). When I test using the WME route checker, it usually does the straight-U-right route, but a couple times of day did give me the jughandle. It does seem that the jughandle takes significantly longer.

My guess is that, since the jughandle is not a conventional left turn, the small detour prevention tool doesn't prefer it over the straight-U-right. Since the straight-U-right is faster in fact, it is used.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:OK, so, the "penalty" is only when there is a detour. There was no detour in this case.
They said this:
3 road type issue, we have a high penalty when you're on major highway -> exit to ramp -> enter to primary street, to solve it try to change the ramp to primary street or major highway
to mean the small detour prevention?

I thought the road type had to be the same for the highway you are detouring off and back on. I also didn't think primary streets played any role in the small detour prevention. Are saying that if you go MH>R>PS and the major highway and the primary street have the same name/city (or alternate name/city) the small detour prevention kicks in?
Look at the cell next to that where I left a comment. There's a short thread between me and Ron where we discuss this. It took me a few minutes of thought to understand it, but it eventually sank in.

You're talking about large detour prevention; this is a small detour prevention example. Small detour prevention is the thing that's supposed to stop straight-U-right-instead-of-left and other similar routing foibles. Of course it doesn't require you to have the same name or type at the start and end because you're making a turn. Past that, we don't know the criteria it uses.

But it's designed to give you a normal left turn instead of a U-right or right-U. It's not designed to give you a jughandle instead of a U-right. So since the U-right is faster, and there's no normal left, small detour prevention isn't triggered.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I wouldn't be that aggressive, but I would certainly give some scrutiny to the AGCs. I believe I proposed that 50 m was the approximate breaking point for a "stay to the" AGC without a physical separation, but that where there is a physical barrier, there should nearly always be an AGC, unless the distance is really small.

Final turn instruction depends on speed, not on road type (I think).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I am not gonna blame this on Waze. A user has a duty to look at the damn road when using GPS.

Waze says "turn right on Street Name" and you turn on "Different Road", that's your fault for looking neither at street signs nor at the Waze display. One or the other and you'd know better than to make that turn.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message