Time-restricted tolls

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Time-restricted tolls

Postby CBenson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:44 pm

I think it is worth adding to the wiki. I suspect that short parallel segments to account for both restrictions that can be handled by the restriction dialog and for toll restrictions may have other applications as well. We have HOT restrictions in the US where you are able to use the road if either you pay a toll or you have enough people in the vehicle. The segment restrictions with the HOV-2/HOV-3 designations should eventually allow access based on HOV compliance. The toll checkbox allows access for those that are willing to pay the toll. However, similar to your situation, if you mark one segment HOV and apply the toll checkbox, you are essentially indicating that both conditions have to be met rather than either condition. To provide access if either condition is met, you need to resort to a tactic like you suggest with dual entry segments.

We haven't been able to really test this method as the HOV restrictions aren't yet live. It will be great to see you iron out the kinks with this approach for time-based/toll combinations. Then we should be able to handle HOV/toll combinations in a similar manner.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Time-restricted tolls

Postby iainhouse » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:26 pm

In London, we have a Congestion Charging Zone. This covers a large portion of Central London: if you enter the CCZ you have to pay a fee, so we've obviously used toll segments. However the Zone is only in operation 07:00-18:00, Monday to Friday. Outside of those times you can enter the Zone without charge

Now that time-based restrictions have arrived, there has been discussion on the UK forum here as to how we can use them to more realistically implement the CCZ.

Since I haven't heard any suggestion from Waze that they plan to implement time-based tolls, I have worked out a method to implement them using the currently available tools and we will be using this for the CCZ. I have created a wiki page to document this (and related) methods. I have not linked this page into the main Wiki.

I'm posting here to ask for opinions on 2 questions:
  1. Should this be added into the Wiki and, if so, where?
  2. Do editors outside the UK even think this is a good idea?
UK Country Administrator • AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.2 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
My name is Iain and I'm a Wazaholic. I last edited 1 hour ago.
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:11 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Did you say you already have this testing in London?

Yes. And no!

There are 110 segments that are either entries or entries & exits to the London CCZ. I started re-doing them all on Saturday night and finished them off on Sunday night. Unfortunately we've now had an INTL update to December 1st 20:49 UTC - so approximately 40% of the CCZ has out-of-hours toll-free access whilst the other 60% does not. :oops:

That means we may get some odd route results: drivers coming from the north or west side of London outsite the toll hours may get routed around the "barrier" unnecessarily until the rest updates.

Anyway, I'm on the "right" side of London (coincidence, honestly!) so I'll be testing heavily for the next day or two. Currently, I can only find a toll route into Central London (which is correct). After 6pm, I should be able to get a non-toll route. I'll try & test some routes across the CCZ as well, although this is complicated by a current problem where Waze frequently fails to return cross-London routes at all during the rush hours.
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:56 am

First batch of test results are in - I've posted the details in the original UK discussion thread.

So far, I'm extremely pleased with how it's working. :mrgreen:

kentsmith9 wrote:For the average person we may need to include a bit more example on how to set it up.

Were you thinking of the mechanics of actually creating the segment arrangement? If so, I'm sure I can put together a step-by-step guide.
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:50 am

Testing on the London CCZ is, as far as I am concerned, complete and successful. 8-)

Thanks for the input on improving the Wiki page. I've fallen a bit behind on my other Waze "duties" so I might have to catch up on some of them before doing more work on the page. However, Christmas will provide me with plenty of spare time to work on it. :)
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Very clever idea. For the average person we may need to include a bit more example on how to set it up.

Did you say you already have this testing in London?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:11 pm

iainhouse wrote:First batch of test results are in - I've posted the details in the original UK discussion thread.

So far, I'm extremely pleased with how it's working. :mrgreen:

kentsmith9 wrote:For the average person we may need to include a bit more example on how to set it up.

Were you thinking of the mechanics of actually creating the segment arrangement? If so, I'm sure I can put together a step-by-step guide.

Yes. Maybe show one of the two segments highlighted and then show the edit page for restrictions on that segment. Then highlight the other segment and show its settings for toll.

Also when creating them maybe show the two segments as drawn completely separately at first and then after making the settings show them merged except for the bulge so you can find them in the future.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:33 pm

iainhouse wrote:...Christmas will provide me with plenty of spare time to work on it. :)

I have always said Christmas is the solution to many problems. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:27 pm

I think this is a reasonably neat solution given the tools available.
We are gradually discovering other examples which could benefit from implementing this.

:)
Timbones(6) • UK Country Admin & Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Beta Editor and Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour Highlights v1.8 (Feb 2014)WME Route Tester
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion