Correcting POI searches: A Wiki addition?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Correcting POI searches: A Wiki addition?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:46 pm

I agree these should be added somewhere, whether a separate page, directly in House Numbers, or a template file we can include on multiple pages.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 8.1.2 | Waze v3.9.3.906
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:56 am

kentsmith9 wrote:My personal experience with Google map changes is moving an address, not a POI. For an address I have to select the link at the bottom right called "report a problem." From there you can directly edit the marker to move it.

Does a POI search have this different interface, or is there also a report a problem link? I was thinking if there is one common method we can use it for all Google Map updates.

The common method for Google Maps is as described in the OP: select Move Marker and move it. That's it. Am I missing something? You just select More->Move Marker regardless of whether it is a POI or address marker.
Last edited by AlanOfTheBerg on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added quote from Kent for clarity
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 pm

slandrum wrote:What post are you responding to Alan?

Sorry, I neglected to quote the post I was thinking about which generated some of the conversation. :oops: I have edited my post, and will paste it here, too.

kentsmith9 wrote:My personal experience with Google map changes is moving an address, not a POI. For an address I have to select the link at the bottom right called "report a problem." From there you can directly edit the marker to move it.

Does a POI search have this different interface, or is there also a report a problem link? I was thinking if there is one common method we can use it for all Google Map updates.

The common method for Google Maps is as described in the OP: select Move Marker and move it. That's it. Am I missing something? You just select More->Move Marker regardless of whether it is a POI or address marker.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:24 am

shawndoc wrote:Do we really need to duplicate what Google has already provided?
Here's where the FAQ currently links to: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/162873?hl=en

No, I don't think we do. A link to their FAQ is a great idea.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu May 08, 2014 4:05 pm

We need to revisit this subject and page. The current location is not in a good place. I'm not sure if this page still warrants its own page and should be moved as a whole, or should be edited first, or whether it should be parted out to other pages.

I'm going to re-read it today and would appreciate others taking a look and come back to discuss how to treat it.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Bigbear3764 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:52 am

We might want to also add that once the other providers info is updated, the user needs to delete the previous bad location from their app, whether it's in their favorites, or recent destinations.

Just had a UR saying "you fixed this a month ago and is still routing wrong". I asked if they did a new search for their location or were they going from their favorites? When I told him to delete the old one and reenter it, that solved it.
Image Image
AM Chicagoland Area ILL Functional Class Map
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
Bigbear3764
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CBenson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:56 pm

I'd note that both waze and Google seem to think of POI searches and address searches as different problems with different solutions. Thus, if you search for "6671 S Virginia St" waze should treat this as an address search and that treatment is different than if you search for "Total Wine & More." Thus, if the search is parsed as a POI search, the Google street addresses seems not to be considered at all. So I completely distinguish a POI search from an address search.

The major issue I have is solving "waze took me to the wrong destination" URs is ascertaining exactly what the user searched for and precisely what result the user selected. As a recent example the user was not directed correctly to the business "Salon Centric." Turns out the business lists its name as "SalonCentric." If you search for "SalonCentric" waze provides the default results on the Google tab. However, if you search for "Salon Centric" waze provides the default results on the Yellow Pages tab presumably because the Yellow Pages has an exact match for the incorrect name. The question then becomes whether to consider this simply user error for entering the incorrect name, or whether the error should be corrected with the Yellow Pages.

There is another issue that I have in that if the POI search from Google corresponds to an object with a boundary (i.e. the building outline has been mapped in Google) then there is no option to move the pin location. This is a problem if waze is routing to a street at the back of the building. I don't yet know how to address this circumstance.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Turbo, Android 4.4.4, Waze 3.9.4.0
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:13 pm

I wanted to add that most of my changes in Google are taking effect immediately. In fact, I received a email from a requester asking how to change an address location. I provided instructions how to change the address in Mapmaker. They responded that they had changed the location in Mapmaker. I saw the email within half and hour, looked in Google maps saw the pin had moved, tried routing in waze and the route was corrected. Not sure when Google requires approval and when it doesn't, but some of the corrections can take effect very quickly.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu May 08, 2014 4:15 pm

I don't find the guidance as relevant with the current places feature. I'm still not sure how the search really uses the places yet, but I typically adjust the places rather going to Google at this point to correct destination errors.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri May 09, 2014 11:06 am

I'm still less inclined to spend my time correcting the location multiple times when you can get the correct location under the waze tab.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion