Outdated Wiki explanation about turns?

Post by kondadotm
Hello,

I was having a look at this URL about Update Requests (URs) in Waze:

https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Upd ... sations.29

And there is the following paragraph:
https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Update_Requests_in_Waze_Map_Editor#Etiquette_.28Guidelines_for_handling_conversations.29 wrote:Orientation

When reviewing the route, it is easy to be confused by the turn direction arrows displayed at junctions. Remember that these will display the turn for the direction being traveled. Because the Waze Map Editor uses north-up orientation, for a route going south, these turn arrows will appear to be backwards. You need to put yourself in the orientation of the driver.
Is it possible that this information is out of date? Could it be that it was meant for an older version of the WME?

Because I think that all of the turns I've seen marked in the different Update Requests I've solved until today are shown in the north-up orientation that's pointed to in that text. What I am saying is that the turns shown in the URs are not in the direction that's being traveled but in the actual direction one is seeing for the turn indication.

I'm not sure I am making my point clear. :roll:

Let me explain this with an example. When you have an UR about "turn not allowed" and you see the turn icon on the junction in the WME, and the turn icon you see is "turn left" or "turn right" you don't need to bend your neck to put your head into that direction.

Does anyone understand what I am saying? :roll: :lol:
kondadotm

POSTER_ID:16802065

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I think it's great when things I wrote get updated to be more clear! :mrgreen: Though I do get frustrated I can't write clearly to begin with. :(
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by DwarfLord
The WME works as described for me, but it is admittedly hard to put the behavior in writing. Perhaps your eyes are adjusting for the arrow orientation and driver perspective so easily you don't realize you're doing it?

Put another way, if you edit a N-S segment, is the "straight-ahead" arrow at the south end pointing up or down? My screen would show it pointing down and to me that is intuitively obvious. But it may not be as intuitive for other users, thus the wiki language.

If your screen shows it pointing up then that's a whole different kettle of fish :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I added a few more notes, a link, and a turn arrow image to that section to clarify which arrows we are speaking about.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I think it's great when things I wrote get updated to be more clear! :mrgreen: Though I do get frustrated I can't write clearly to begin with. :(
Alan, we love you anyway. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kondadotm
Thank you both for answering.

I am exactly talking about those navigations arrows russblau pointed to. I do understand it the way you described russblau, and it is the way I've seen it happen in the WME.

But the text seems to describe it exactly the other way round... I guess it's hard to explain this in text, as it happen to me in my original post.

PS: I re-read the quote I posted, and after russblau's explanation I understood that the behaviour was the same I was seeing in the WME. So text is correct, but I think it can be confusing... maybe it should show a screenshot like the one you posted.

PS: Sorry for all the typos in my post... but I've got a cold and I'm obviously not a native speaker... :P
kondadotm
Send a message

Post by kondadotm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't take it too personally :lol: ;)

I wasn't even able to explain what problem I had with the text in first place... :lol: :P
kondadotm
Send a message

Post by russblau
The text you quoted from the Wiki is not talking about the arrows that appear when editing a segment; rather, it is describing the navigation arrows that appear along the purple "Waze provided route" line when reviewing an Update Request, as in the following image:
UR.jpg
(102.17 KiB) Downloaded 959 times
There are two navigation arrows in this image, one "keep right" and one "keep left". Note that the keep right arrow, in the left center of the image, appears where the driver is proceeding southeast, so the direction of the route line does not correspond to the direction the arrow is pointing (the arrow is pointing towards the Northeast while the route is heading towards the South). But if you look at the interchange from the driver's point of view, they are exiting to the right so the arrow is correct.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message