Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
Is shield generation for US highways automatic at this point? Is it working well? Is it instant?

Interesting to note: Interstate shields and US highway shields are matched differently. If memory serves, Interstate shields will be given to anything that starts with I-###, no matter what's at the end, whereas US highway shields are granted strictly – only to US-###, apparently, not even US-### N/S/E/W. So, assuming everything works correctly, "(Construction Zone)" on an Interstate will never be seen, whereas a US highway's shield will be broken by the phrase.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Some shields have been added manually in the past, and it's possible to have staff – I do know, looking at a divided section of US-90 around here ("US-90 W" and "US-90 E"), that there aren't any shields on it. Whereas, I've seen an example of something like "I-10 Parkway Drive" with a shield.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
The idea is that it's the only way to report long-term construction. But, I've only ever used it on surface streets, it didn't seem sensible to me for use on freeways. On surface streets, you'll be seeing that name longer, and you'll get it in nav instructions when turning onto that area.

But, I dunno, I'm not all that crazy about the idea these days.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Well, (Closed) is now almost completely obviated as far as I'm concerned because we have a working closure feature (via the sheet) which is represented on the app map display. So that bit of the guidance can be removed as far as I'm concerned.

I have only used (Construction Zone) for long-term no-closure traffic pattern shifts. I don't think anything less permanent should be marked—if there's little evidence of construction besides barrels and equipment parked on the shoulder when no one is working, that's not enough for me. I think it's valuable when the warning is warranted 24/7, not when there /might/ be construction as you pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message