Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Postby PesachZ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 am

Fredo-p wrote:
PesachZ wrote:When a road is closed on that list you see the road closure pop-up (icon with red white barricade) and red/white hash marks along the entire segment, just like you would I'd toy reported the closure in the app) the report says reported by: Waze.

Having a similar list for construction would be nice, and could produce the hard hat icon pop-up reports with the relevant details.

What if the road was tagged with (Closed)? Would the barricades show up then?

Only if it was added to the list. Bit that would be against the guidelines because "(closed)" should only be used on disconnected segments, and roads on the list are not to be disconnected.
ImageImageImageImageNYImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:04 am

Well, (Closed) is now almost completely obviated as far as I'm concerned because we have a working closure feature (via the sheet) which is represented on the app map display. So that bit of the guidance can be removed as far as I'm concerned.

I have only used (Construction Zone) for long-term no-closure traffic pattern shifts. I don't think anything less permanent should be marked—if there's little evidence of construction besides barrels and equipment parked on the shoulder when no one is working, that's not enough for me. I think it's valuable when the warning is warranted 24/7, not when there /might/ be construction as you pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 am

sketch wrote:Well, (Closed) is now almost completely obviated as far as I'm concerned because we have a working closure feature (via the sheet) which is represented on the app map display. So that bit of the guidance can be removed as far as I'm concerned.

I have only used (Construction Zone) for long-term no-closure traffic pattern shifts. I don't think anything less permanent should be marked—if there's little evidence of construction besides barrels and equipment parked on the shoulder when no one is working, that's not enough for me. I think it's valuable when the warning is warranted 24/7, not when there /might/ be construction as you pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I agree, but there should be some guidance for closures to notify someone (CM, RC) with access to the closure sheet.

My suggestion was primarily to have a sheet to use for long term projects with lane shifts etc.

What about construction sites which ate active for a number of hours daily causing closed lanes and make traffic hold ups, no shoulder access, etc? They could benefit from it too.
ImageImageImageImageNYImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:17 am

PesachZ wrote:What about construction sites which ate active for a number of hours daily causing closed lanes and make traffic hold ups, no shoulder access, etc? They could benefit from it too.

If it's a long term project that would be considered major, then the (Construction Zone) would be added. Anything shorter than a month would be left alone, unless, it was also a major thing.

Regardless, unless a road is completely closed for an extended period of time, hourly/daily lane closures and traffic detours would be handled by Waze in real time, along with the reports from drivers at that time.
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion