Local rules in intl wiki

Moderator: Unholy

Local rules in intl wiki

Postby petervdveen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:42 am

Hi Guys!

I've send a PM to alan yesterday, he suggested to post it here.

I was thinking about the wiki and would like to know how you think about it.
I just found this page:
https://www.waze.com/wiki/Editing_permissions#USA
And specifically the USA part.

Personally I think the intl wiki should only feature factual info and not all kind of local additions.
For local rules and editing practices, I think the local wiki pages are good.

A special note on the bottom of a page like this is okey, I think: 'this page is not conform the xxx community rules'
But I think, that's it.

What do you think?
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
 
Posts: 10337
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:43 pm
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 651 times
Been thanked: 1658 times

Re: Local rules in intl wiki

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:44 pm

petervdveen wrote:Hi Guys!

I've send a PM to alan yesterday, he suggested to post it here.

I was thinking about the wiki and would like to know how you think about it.
I just found this page:
https://www.waze.com/wiki/Editing_permissions#USA
And specifically the USA part.

Personally I think the intl wiki should only feature factual info and not all kind of local additions.
For local rules and editing practices, I think the local wiki pages are good.

A special note on the bottom of a page like this is okey, I think: 'this page is not conform the xxx community rules'
But I think, that's it.

What do you think?

I am not sure I understand the question you are asking. Maybe you can state it a different way?
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5681
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Boise ID and SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1574 times
Been thanked: 1787 times

Re: Local rules in intl wiki

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:38 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I am not sure I understand the question you are asking. Maybe you can state it a different way?

Remove the "USA" section on that page. If pages are supposed to be generic/international, then there should not be country-specific sections on the page. They should be part of other/existing country-specific pages, or a new country-specific page, and linked within the generic/international article.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
 
Posts: 23623
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1111 times
Been thanked: 4859 times

Re: Local rules in intl wiki

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:07 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:I am not sure I understand the question you are asking. Maybe you can state it a different way?

Remove the "USA" section on that page. If pages are supposed to be generic/international, then there should not be country-specific sections on the page. They should be part of other/existing country-specific pages, or a new country-specific page, and linked within the generic/international article.

Sounds like a legitimate point. I will send a message to the author who added that content.

We currently don't have a good mechanism yet for US specific pages beyond creating a full page and adding US or USA. If there is something I am forgetting we already have going, please speak up. Maybe there is a way to create subpage that is automatic for users based on country.
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed userid
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5681
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Boise ID and SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1574 times
Been thanked: 1787 times


Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users