City conflict naming update

Moderator: Unholy

City conflict naming update

Postby qwaletee » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:02 pm

I posted in the wrong forum, I guess... https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=81196

Please have a look regardless at the wiki page.

https://www.waze.com/wiki/Duplicate_cit ... uplication
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Re: City conflict naming update

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:49 am

Nice additions.

To improve the ability to see what changed, I moved your new content to a different temp page: https://www.waze.com/wiki/Duplicate_cit ... ionTracked

That permitted me to first enter the original content and then isolate your revisions to that section so we can see your changes more easily.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... ldid=55733

Changes should be made to this new page as would have been done to the old page as would be done normally.

Once the feedback is complete we can just post the entire section over the original to also allow that same review of the section change in one history entry.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:40 pm

I think you are over-explaining and making it hard to follow. What is your goal with the changes?
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:48 pm

First determine if both areas really do use that cityname. For example, sometimes a neighborhood name is imported into the map, but that name is not frequently used in addresses. See if any businesses in the area advertise with the Waze-assigned name. If one of them is not truly used, then reassign all the streets of that "city" to the correct name (typically the surrounding city). Note that this often happens with CDPs, as seen in the next paragraph.

Can I boil step 1 this down to this:
Eliminate any CDP names that are not used by the local populace, village names or neighborhood names. Either replace the these with the incorporated city name or No Name.
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:16 am

jondrush wrote:
First determine if both areas really do use that cityname. For example, sometimes a neighborhood name is imported into the map, but that name is not frequently used in addresses. See if any businesses in the area advertise with the Waze-assigned name. If one of them is not truly used, then reassign all the streets of that "city" to the correct name (typically the surrounding city). Note that this often happens with CDPs, as seen in the next paragraph.

Eliminate any CDP names that are not used by the local populace, village names or neighborhood names. Either replace the these with the incorporated city name or No Name.

Jon, yours might be a little too short. I am not clear what you mean. I assume you meant to say:
Eliminate any CDP names, village names or neighborhood names, that are not used by the local populace.

Then when do we decide between using no name or one of the other names per your second sentence?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:49 am

There are so many possibilities, based on locality, that I couldn't explain them all in three paragraphs. That's why this is a possible scheme, not an best practice. I want each state to take this and make their own rules.
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:54 pm

jondrush wrote:

Yes, that summarizes it. I went long only because I don't think newer users will grok this without illustration. Perhaps what is needed is a summary (bullet points, 1-2 short sentences each), and a longer version (an illustration for each, terms spelled out)
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby qwaletee » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:32 pm

I'm reviving this little abandoned project. After thinking about Kent's and Jon's comments from a year ago, something clicked. This is really a guidance page, not a policy page. We need to give enough information to help the uninitiated work their way through the problem, but the long explanation made the structure of the flow difficult to follow.

So....

I clarified the language. Rather than making it very terse, I added a bolded summary to each of the options. I also combined from three into two, with the last one being the catchall for what to do if nothing "normal" works.

I'd like to take the Examples section and do something different as well. The examples as given implement a solution. I'd like to see the examples at top at most illustrate the problem clearly. Don't give solutions until explaining the process.

While I would keep the Pennsylvania solution in there, I would not want to specifically use the name of the state, because this is not a state page. It can be in the mix for solutions.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:49 pm

I don't like the Eliminate false names guidance. We are not using the postal address names in Maryland in lieu of the CDPs. Local business addresses are thus not our guide to the name to use in Waze. Of course this guidance predates being able to search for waze HNs or places. But until we better understand how searches will ultimately work, I don't see a reason to change our reliance on CDPs in areas that are not 100% incorporated. Thus, I preferred the previous guidance that if a CDP and a city conflict, you will probably append something to the city name.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Hmm, that paragraph was not intended to say "eliminate all CDP and postal names." only those that did not match real names in common use. Does that conflict with MD rules?

The guidance on using business addresses is not universal, I will change that to something more general or remove it.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion