Ferry Mapping page

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Ferry Mapping page

Postby voludu2 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:20 am

The experimental results and analysis of ferry implementation on the USA server will be welcomed.
It may make sense to write up the report in a doc and post a link here when you have the result.

Hopefully, similar tests have been or will be conducted on the other servers, and results can be compared.

Thanks for the interim report!
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby subs5 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:55 pm

To Ferry or not to Ferry....
(apologies to Shakespeare)
I recently asked if Ferry Segments work from other SMs. I have received intermittent reports that Ferry Segments may be working. Sometimes they require bumping to get to reset.
There has been one ferry that has worked in Virginia for about a month without needing editor interaction. Therefore the MidAtlantic Region, USA (District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia) will be doing a controlled test and switch the mH back to Ferry.
We will track any URs in a forum post. There will be ferries with time restrictions, ferries with 24/7 operations, etc. Hopefully this will start to compile data so that our community can make an informed decision.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions or information to add. Thanks, subs5
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby voludu2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:00 am

Part of the plan for the global wazeopedia includes a sensible way to provide links to local wikis covering the same information. That will come in time.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby petervdveen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 pm

We cannot place links to every local ferry page.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Kayos_On_The_Road » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:24 pm

I've found a USA ferries page which covers the mapping suggestions we were provided by staff. Can I suggest a simple link on the global ferries page to direct people to the USA page? The page can be found here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Ferries/USA thanks to Nzahn1 for it's production.
Kayos_On_The_Road
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Kayos_On_The_Road wrote:Sorry, you're right in that I posted in the US wiki discussion page, but other than this thread, is there a more appropriate location to discuss the suggested changes. Based on the discussions with staff regarding ferries, I believe the changes are globally applicable.

This is the appropriate place to discuss changes to the global page. However guidance changes to global pages (even those derived from staff) must be discussed, reach consensus, and then be approved by global moderators. (The last requirement has proven rather difficult lately, as there has been disagreement between the moderators, about what exactly belongs in the global wiki pages. That said it has been very difficult to get global changes to be voted on by moderators for approval. Some changes which actually did have a poll started received 0 votes rendering them in permanent limbo.

In light of the above, until the global moderators, wiki masters, and community leaders can reach consensus on the intended use of the global wiki, it will much more efficient and effective to propose and make the changes in the local wikis. Any communities which wish to do so may then copy the changes to their own local wikis.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kayos_On_The_Road » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:44 pm

Sorry, you're right in that I posted in the US wiki discussion page, but other than this thread, is there a more appropriate location to discuss the suggested changes. Based on the discussions with staff regarding ferries, I believe the changes are globally applicable.
Kayos_On_The_Road
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Just to clarify this is the global wiki discussion forum. Changes discussed here should be applicable to all communities and follow the guidelines established for global wiki.

The other forum where kayos first posted about this is the US wiki discussion forum where changes discussed are applicable only to the USA community (and sometimes Canada). Any results of discussions there should be implemented only in the USA Wazeopedia, and/or and /USA subpage in the legacy wiki.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kayos_On_The_Road » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:15 am

I thought I made a post on this earlier this week, but apparently not...

Anyway, it seems we are on the verge (present experience excluded obviously) of a functional ferry segment type. I believe this means that we will need to update the ferry wiki page. The following changes should be made:

Time restrictions should be moved from the ferry route to the last boarding land based segment. For ramps that service more than one route, a TBTR can be used.
The toll attribute should be set on the toll both segment and should only be in the direction of the toll.

There may be other changes needed, but those are the two main ones I can think of at the moment.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6&t=206177
Kayos_On_The_Road
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dude463 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:43 am

The Ferry Road type works. You should consider redoing the Wiki page on it.
dude463

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion