Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
I imagine "default speed", merger tricks, and whatever else will be included in the actual ferry support, which is "soon" apparently. The necessity to avoid pruning doesn't change, though.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
KB_Steveo wrote:If there are no other options besides using a ferry, is it necessary to add a schedule/restrictions? Won't Waze route you through a restriction if there are no other options anyway?
No.
KB_Steveo wrote:I don't see the benefit of setting the restrictions in this case. Either the ferry is running, or it isn't - if you can't figure out that a ferry in a vacation destination area isn't running at 3AM, that's on you. :)
We should do our best. Ferry timetables are not common knowledge and not always readily ascertainable. Why stop at mediocrity? Do we not want Waze to be the best? Is it not better that it says "Route not possible" when you can't leave the island?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by stephenr1966
So, is the general consensus that the Ferry Road Type works (although no special functionality, YET)? If so, can we remove all the "Don't use Ferry type" language from the wiki page? So long as it is not adversely affecting routing, it seems like it would be good idea to start using it so that when they do put in the added functionality it will take effect right away.
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by subs5
To Ferry or not to Ferry....
(apologies to Shakespeare)
I recently asked if Ferry Segments work from other SMs. I have received intermittent reports that Ferry Segments may be working. Sometimes they require bumping to get to reset.
There has been one ferry that has worked in Virginia for about a month without needing editor interaction. Therefore the MidAtlantic Region, USA (District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia) will be doing a controlled test and switch the mH back to Ferry.
We will track any URs in a forum post. There will be ferries with time restrictions, ferries with 24/7 operations, etc. Hopefully this will start to compile data so that our community can make an informed decision.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions or information to add. Thanks, subs5
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Generally okay with the suggested steps. In the UK we use Service Roads for Ferries, as parking lot roads can't be used for routing. It's rumoured that we'll have a specific "Ferry" road type in the future.

Here's an example: Woolwich Ferry over the Thames. It's free, but part-time. Waze will route across here during the day, and will find alternative routes when it isn't open.

Here's another random example, and here are some routes in the Livemap.

Need to add some guidelines about when to map a ferry. Our general rule-of-thumb is to only map ferry crossing where you a) can buy a ticket on arrival, rather than pre-booking, and b) you stay in your vehicle during the crossing. None of the major Channel crossings meet either of these criteria, and so should not be mapped. The GPS tends to vary wildly too, making Waze pretty useless.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
kentsmith9 wrote:
Timbones wrote:Need to add some guidelines about when to map a ferry. Our general rule-of-thumb is to only map ferry crossing where you a) can buy a ticket on arrival, rather than pre-booking, and b) you stay in your vehicle during the crossing.
I don't understand b) staying in your vehicle. Why does that matter?
If you're sat in the vehicle during the crossing, then there's a chance you'll have Waze running and it'll be collecting data, etc. On large ferries where you leave your car, then there's not much point keeping Waze running is there? On a 5-6 hour crossing from France, I'll probably be asleep and the battery wouldn't last that long anyway.

The 'stay in your vehicle' guideline is mainly a way to distinguish between small ferries (which are typically on a short, fixed route and regular crossings) and large ferries (which tend to be much longer and more variable, with fewer crossings).
kentsmith9 wrote:I don't use ferries so I don't understand the multiple comments around the GPS varying and how that matters if the start and end are hard known points along the short to link the road between.
I'm not sure if the drive merge process uses just the start/end points, or if it attempts to snap to the geometry along the length of the segments. If there happens to be a node in the middle of a ferry crossing, then it's unlikely to collect any useful timing data.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
The examples I've posted seem to work just fine using service roads.

I'm reluctant to use Freeway or Highway for ferries, as on the map it will look like continuous roadway, which it isn't. Much better to show a physical break in the road, as it is more representative of reality.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
CBenson wrote:
mrgrumpy wrote:I wouldn't use Waze to, necessarily, choose my crossing point.
Out of curiosity, why not?
Because there are other factors to consider such as: cost, special offers, schedules, availability.
The actually crossing time is largely immaterial when you're lounging on deck with a cocktail.

Again, if you can turn up and get onto the next ferry without booking, then it's useful to map in Waze.

If you have to book a specific ferry in advance and work it into your travel itinerary, then Waze isn't going to be able to help.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Following the recent changes to ferry road type support, should there be any change to guidance for the ferry road type?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Part of the plan for the global wazeopedia includes a sensible way to provide links to local wikis covering the same information. That will come in time.
voludu2
Send a message