Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by petervdveen
We cannot place links to every local ferry page.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by russblau
kentsmith9 wrote:I don't use ferries so I don't understand the multiple comments around the GPS varying and how that matters if the start and end are hard known points along the short to link the road between.
In the "Jolly Drivers" vein, I actually saw a UR a couple of months ago from a user who was using Waze while riding on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry across Delaware Bay (not one where you stay in your car), and complained that the position of the ship didn't match the line on the map!! :)
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by russblau
What's the reason for this statement?
Wiki wrote:The Ferry Road type is not to be used at this time. Do not use the Ferry Road type for any purpose.
When Ohad announced this road type in the Beta forum, he said:
Ohad-ron wrote:I wouldn't start mapping all the ferries in the world, but we would recommend changing the road type to this one where a ferry line is already mapped.
The wiki's prohibition seems to be inconsistent with what Ohad asked us to do.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by sketch
Resurrecting this thread since it's not that old. I only have a minor point or two.

First, the obvious: the new developments with the "ferry" type, and a note not to use that type yet.

Next, the obscure: the naming standard. Instead of a slash, we should use a hyphen—the slash will cause a TTS pause, while the hyphen will not. So, ditch "Canal St / Algiers Ferry" in favor of "Canal St - Algiers Ferry". (Of course, if it has only one name, use that.) The latter sounds like the name of a ferry; the former sounds like a street or a ferry. (This is the same reason I do not use a comma between city and state when both are included together on a sign.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
nhanway wrote: How to class the ferries. Functional Classification Maps do not always show ferries in their map. The FC maps normally just show the roads leading to the ferry on either side. It is important to type the ferry at the highest class. For example you have a Principal arterial (Waze Major Highway) leading to the ferry on one side and a Minor arterial (Waze Minor Highway) on the other. The ferry should be typed Major Highway to provide better routing.
It should be fine to use the lower of the two types, same reason the roundabout and AGC rules are as they are. (This should be moot soon, anyway.)
sketch wrote: Next, the obscure: the naming standard. Instead of a slash, we should use a hyphen—the slash will cause a TTS pause, while the hyphen will not. So, ditch "Canal St / Algiers Ferry" in favor of "Canal St - Algiers Ferry". (Of course, if it has only one name, use that.) The latter sounds like the name of a ferry; the former sounds like a street or a ferry. (This is the same reason I do not use a comma between city and state when both are included together on a sign.)
I have changed the wiki to show this:
1. The main Ferry line (The road from Dock to Dock) Should be: Seattle - Bremerton Ferry
2. The Entrance / Loading Road: to Seattle / Bremerton Ferry
3. Exit route: Exit to: Seattle / I-90 / I-5

Is this what you where saying? Or should I change it so that we never use "/" while mapping ferries?
I'm saying never use "/" within the name of a ferry. The ferry is called the "Seattle - Bremerton Ferry", so use that wherever the name of the ferry is encountered, whether on the loading dock or the ferry line. In fact, if we're using this setup, it's more important on the loading dock, because that's where you'll actually hear the TTS name, and that's where it makes the difference.

Although I'm not sure what sense there is in naming the unloading docks, because if there's no choice to be made (you have to get off the ferry), you will never hear or see that name. In the same vein, I don't know that it's necessary to name the loading dock either, unless you want to include more information than simply the name of the ferry (e.g., where it's going in particular). The ferries here aren't that big and use the same ramp for loading and unloading, so the two-one-way-ramps setup is a bit cumbersome.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Got it. In that case, if there are multiple alternatives when leaving the ferry, they should be named "to X" and "to Y", and so forth, for example "to I-32 / Village City" and "to I-53 / Townville". The inclusion of "exit" isn't necessary.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
nhanway wrote:I have updated wiki.

Ferry segment labeled with "Seattle - Bremerton Ferry.

Entrance segment labeled with "to Seattle - Bremerton Ferry.

Exit segment labeled with No Name unless there are multiple exit routes and clear signs then labled with "to: Seattle" and "to: I-90 / I-5"

This sound right?
No colons, just "to Seattle" and "to I-90 / I-5". Same as any ramp.
CBenson wrote:
nhanway wrote:If the dock is tolled then it is a requirement.
I don't really understand what is meant by the dock being tolled. However, if there are times when steps 4-5 are required and times when they are not, this should be explained in the documentation, shouldn't it?
Now that I think about it, splitting a loading/unloading dock into two one-way segments is only a requirement if the ferry is tolled in one direction and not in the other. Otherwise, if it's free leave it untolled, and if it's tolled both ways just set the toll flag on the ferry segment itself.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:Now that I think about it, splitting a loading/unloading dock into two one-way segments is only a requirement if the ferry is tolled in one direction and not in the other. Otherwise, if it's free leave it untolled, and if it's tolled both ways just set the toll flag on the ferry segment itself.
Makes sense to me.
But this makes sense to me as well.
I just mean any loading/unloading dock that doesn't already deserve to be split. Like this one (when it used to take cars, anyway): https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 925&zoom=8
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Right, it's just moved from the bottom of the list into a more sensible place. Ferry roads are used by the routing server. Last I heard, they operate more or less as Minor Highways. Dunno if there's any preference or penalty associated with them otherwise.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Last I heard, it is treated the same as Minor Highway. This would be a problem if there were a necessary ferry in the middle of a very long route. If it has the same pruning characteristics as Major now, that would be a good thing. We just hope to get the other Ferry characteristics working.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message