Re: Ferry Mapping page

Postby petervdveen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:43 am

All ferries stop at night over here.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby aspyhackr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:24 am

dude463 wrote:to ride across an hour trip that Waze thinks takes 10 minutes, only to find they now have a longer journey than if they just drove south (or vice versa).

This is the exact opposite experience that we have here at the Jamestown/Surry Ferry in Virginia. We had a problem where the ferry road type became unroutable, and we switched to a minor highway. The estimated time across went from 30 minutes using the ferry road type to 2 minutes. Then we started getting "Missing bridge" URs because people were getting a wrong ETA, and after about a week, we tried switching it back. It worked, and we haven't gotten another UR about that route till last week when the road type became unroutable again. (It appears to be working again.)

I think the main point is being missed in this thread, there needs to be a distinction in this thread between a ferry that is always running, albeit at a reduced capacity (once an hour at night) like the
Jamestown ferry, and a tourist ferry that completely stops operation after a certain point in the night, or is a seasonal thing like the Sunny Bank Ferry.
aspyhackr
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby dude463 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:29 pm

I think the general consensus is that if you downgraded a roadway from any to Ferry that it will be less preferred than most other routes, even routes which may take longer. But I have to contend that with ferries they're either ferrying you across the water or you're sitting still. Waze doesn't take any of the sitting into account, and in fact doesn't take into account the actual crossing time. I've got another UR stating they were taken to the Seattle/Bremerton ferry to get from Seattle to Portland. That's over 150 miles to the south, yet Waze wants them to take an hour ferry ride to the west and drive from there. To go south from there you either go across a toll bridge or head out to roads that are one lane each direction and many spots that the speed limit is bellow 45 mph.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 41&env=usa

But lets look at who you can assume would and wouldn't want to ride a ferry. Those that would want to ride a ferry would likely seek that route out. Yet those that likely wouldn't want to ride the ferry (the majority of drivers honestly) would not appreciate being led downtown Seattle to sit in line, pay $10 per person in their vehicle, to ride across an hour trip that Waze thinks takes 10 minutes, only to find they now have a longer journey than if they just drove south (or vice versa).
Basically if the ferry's route is broken by design, why do we insist on keeping it set to a priority road type?
dude463

Postby stephenr1966 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:20 am

So, is the general consensus that the Ferry Road Type works (although no special functionality, YET)? If so, can we remove all the "Don't use Ferry type" language from the wiki page? So long as it is not adversely affecting routing, it seems like it would be good idea to start using it so that when they do put in the added functionality it will take effect right away.
stephenr1966
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby KB_Steveo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:23 am

sketch wrote:
KB_Steveo wrote:If there are no other options besides using a ferry, is it necessary to add a schedule/restrictions? Won't Waze route you through a restriction if there are no other options anyway?

No.
OK. I just didn't know if there were any known bugs that Waze would still route you that way (ex. Waze will/would route you through closures if you have your client set to "shortest route"). My main deal was that I wouldn't want to put in the effort if Waze is going to disregard my work.

sketch wrote:
KB_Steveo wrote:I don't see the benefit of setting the restrictions in this case. Either the ferry is running, or it isn't - if you can't figure out that a ferry in a vacation destination area isn't running at 3AM, that's on you. :)

We should do our best. Ferry timetables are not common knowledge and not always readily ascertainable. Why stop at mediocrity? Do we not want Waze to be the best? Is it not better that it says "Route not possible" when you can't leave the island?
They have timetables when you buy your tickets to go to the island :twisted: But I digress - vacationers in Door County definitely turn off their brains when they're there... I'll put the timetables on my list of things to do :D
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby sketch » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:21 pm

KB_Steveo wrote:If there are no other options besides using a ferry, is it necessary to add a schedule/restrictions? Won't Waze route you through a restriction if there are no other options anyway?

No.

KB_Steveo wrote:I don't see the benefit of setting the restrictions in this case. Either the ferry is running, or it isn't - if you can't figure out that a ferry in a vacation destination area isn't running at 3AM, that's on you. :)

We should do our best. Ferry timetables are not common knowledge and not always readily ascertainable. Why stop at mediocrity? Do we not want Waze to be the best? Is it not better that it says "Route not possible" when you can't leave the island?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby nhanway » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Is the ferry road type still treated like a minor highway with the routing server.
If so, How should we handle ferries that are classified Major Highways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

Postby KB_Steveo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:21 pm

If there are no other options besides using a ferry, is it necessary to add a schedule/restrictions? Won't Waze route you through a restriction if there are no other options anyway?

The Washington Island Ferry in WI has a schedule that changes 12 times a year, with half of the date ranges requiring 3 different options based on the day of the week. One has to make a spreadsheet of the schedule just to enter it in properly, due to the way it is displayed in the printable version.

I don't see the benefit of setting the restrictions in this case. Either the ferry is running, or it isn't - if you can't figure out that a ferry in a vacation destination area isn't running at 3AM, that's on you. :)
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:50 pm

dude463 wrote:Then should we start using the Ferry road type? Currently we don't in Washington state and crossing times are reported by Waze as 10 minutes when it's closer to an hour in reality, and that's if you showed up just before a ferry started to load. Wait times to even get onto a ferry are up to 2 hours on busy days.

Talk with your local editors about making changes like this.

I doubt that changing the road type will effect the timing.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion