Ferry Mapping page

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Ferry Mapping page

Postby petervdveen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 pm

We cannot place links to every local ferry page.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby petervdveen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:43 am

All ferries stop at night over here.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby petervdveen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:59 pm

I have tried giving the ferry between Denmark and Germany a fixed speed of (I believe) 20 km/h.
But it was not possible for waze to acomplish. It stayed at 60 km/h.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby petervdveen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:24 pm

Who informed you of that?

It's very incorrect if you ask me.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby petervdveen » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Timbones wrote:I'm reluctant to use Freeway or Highway for ferries, as on the map it will look like continuous roadway, which it isn't.

I don't think there are really a lot of Freeways (multi-lane with at grade junctions) with a ferry in between ;-)
Also, I have a very good experience with mapping in the same as the connecting roads.
Besides, I don't think there is much of a delay at ferries.

Example:
It shows 4 minutes and I think, for the time of the day now that's very accurate.
https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=17&la ... on=4.85497
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby PesachZ » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Kayos_On_The_Road wrote:Sorry, you're right in that I posted in the US wiki discussion page, but other than this thread, is there a more appropriate location to discuss the suggested changes. Based on the discussions with staff regarding ferries, I believe the changes are globally applicable.

This is the appropriate place to discuss changes to the global page. However guidance changes to global pages (even those derived from staff) must be discussed, reach consensus, and then be approved by global moderators. (The last requirement has proven rather difficult lately, as there has been disagreement between the moderators, about what exactly belongs in the global wiki pages. That said it has been very difficult to get global changes to be voted on by moderators for approval. Some changes which actually did have a poll started received 0 votes rendering them in permanent limbo.

In light of the above, until the global moderators, wiki masters, and community leaders can reach consensus on the intended use of the global wiki, it will much more efficient and effective to propose and make the changes in the local wikis. Any communities which wish to do so may then copy the changes to their own local wikis.
ImageImageImageImageNYImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Just to clarify this is the global wiki discussion forum. Changes discussed here should be applicable to all communities and follow the guidelines established for global wiki.

The other forum where kayos first posted about this is the US wiki discussion forum where changes discussed are applicable only to the USA community (and sometimes Canada). Any results of discussions there should be implemented only in the USA Wazeopedia, and/or and /USA subpage in the legacy wiki.
ImageImageImageImageNYImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby nhanway » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Is the ferry road type still treated like a minor highway with the routing server.
If so, How should we handle ferries that are classified Major Highways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Washington State Manager

nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

Postby nhanway » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:32 am

That it has. But the routing server still treats it the same as be for. But I may be wrong, I haven't heard otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Washington State Manager

nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

Postby nhanway » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:22 pm

CBenson wrote:
nhanway wrote:I have tested this out. It wont route on the ferry unless you set start and end point right on the ferry docks. Kind of treats it like a private road or a non drivable road like a boardwalk..
Disagree that this a universal effect.
WME Permalink. (Yeah, putting in a ferry type and then expecting it won't get used because we say it shouldn't in the wiki is unlikely to produce consistent results.) Live Map link.
Wicomico.png

Ferry road type does work is some cases. But if you extend the distance between Start and Destination then it does not consider the ferry.
Live Map
This is what I have been experiencing. Which is why we don't use it at this time.
Right?

CBenson wrote:
nhanway wrote:Even once they fix the bugs I'm not sure the ferry road type will work for every ferry because its treated like a Minor Highway.
I don't really see why this would be a problem.

If the ferry is a anything but a Minor Highway now. Like if its a Major highway now, marking it as Ferry would lower its class and therefore mess with the FC System and therefor mess with the routing.

Right?
Washington State Manager

nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion