Ferry Mapping page

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Ferry Mapping page

Postby Black-Voyager » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am

I was recently informed that road type Ferry is treated the same as Freeway and Major Highway.
Black-Voyager
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby sketch » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Right, it's just moved from the bottom of the list into a more sensible place. Ferry roads are used by the routing server. Last I heard, they operate more or less as Minor Highways. Dunno if there's any preference or penalty associated with them otherwise.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby nhanway » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:32 am

That it has. But the routing server still treats it the same as be for. But I may be wrong, I haven't heard otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dude463 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:56 am

Since I started visiting the forums here, and since the last comment here, the ferry type road has gone from the category of non-driveable like a walking trail, to Other Drivable like PLRs and Private Roads.
dude463

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:10 pm

I added a link back to this page in the message box warning not to use the type yet.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:18 am

CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:Now that I think about it, splitting a loading/unloading dock into two one-way segments is only a requirement if the ferry is tolled in one direction and not in the other. Otherwise, if it's free leave it untolled, and if it's tolled both ways just set the toll flag on the ferry segment itself.
Makes sense to me.
But this makes sense to me as well.

I just mean any loading/unloading dock that doesn't already deserve to be split. Like this one (when it used to take cars, anyway): https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 925&zoom=8
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:41 pm

nhanway wrote:Ferry road type does work is some cases. But if you extend the distance between Start and Destination then it does not consider the ferry.
Live Map
This is what I have been experiencing. Which is why we don't use it at this time.
Right?

There have certainly been reports of odd routing when the type is changed to ferry. So I'm in agreement that it waze should fix the issues with the ferry road type before we make a practice of using the ferry type.

nhanway wrote:If the ferry is a anything but a Minor Highway now. Like if its a Major highway now, marking it as Ferry would lower its class and therefore mess with the FC System and therefor mess with the routing.

Right?

Yes. I guess it would. However, I'm having a hard time imagining a circumstance where there would be a freeway/major highway non-ferry route that shouldn't be preferred over a ferry route. But there aren't all that many ferries around here. I would certainly defer to those of you in areas with more extensive ferry systems.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby nhanway » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:22 pm

CBenson wrote:
nhanway wrote:I have tested this out. It wont route on the ferry unless you set start and end point right on the ferry docks. Kind of treats it like a private road or a non drivable road like a boardwalk..
Disagree that this a universal effect.
WME Permalink. (Yeah, putting in a ferry type and then expecting it won't get used because we say it shouldn't in the wiki is unlikely to produce consistent results.) Live Map link.
Wicomico.png

Ferry road type does work is some cases. But if you extend the distance between Start and Destination then it does not consider the ferry.
Live Map
This is what I have been experiencing. Which is why we don't use it at this time.
Right?

CBenson wrote:
nhanway wrote:Even once they fix the bugs I'm not sure the ferry road type will work for every ferry because its treated like a Minor Highway.
I don't really see why this would be a problem.

If the ferry is a anything but a Minor Highway now. Like if its a Major highway now, marking it as Ferry would lower its class and therefore mess with the FC System and therefor mess with the routing.

Right?
nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CBenson » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:41 pm

sketch wrote:Now that I think about it, splitting a loading/unloading dock into two one-way segments is only a requirement if the ferry is tolled in one direction and not in the other. Otherwise, if it's free leave it untolled, and if it's tolled both ways just set the toll flag on the ferry segment itself.
Makes sense to me.
But this makes sense to me as well.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:18 pm

nhanway wrote:I have updated wiki.

Ferry segment labeled with "Seattle - Bremerton Ferry.

Entrance segment labeled with "to Seattle - Bremerton Ferry.

Exit segment labeled with No Name unless there are multiple exit routes and clear signs then labled with "to: Seattle" and "to: I-90 / I-5"

This sound right?

No colons, just "to Seattle" and "to I-90 / I-5". Same as any ramp.

CBenson wrote:
nhanway wrote:If the dock is tolled then it is a requirement.

I don't really understand what is meant by the dock being tolled. However, if there are times when steps 4-5 are required and times when they are not, this should be explained in the documentation, shouldn't it?

Now that I think about it, splitting a loading/unloading dock into two one-way segments is only a requirement if the ferry is tolled in one direction and not in the other. Otherwise, if it's free leave it untolled, and if it's tolled both ways just set the toll flag on the ferry segment itself.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion