[Page Update] Limited Access Interchange Style Guide

Post by mgg4nic
The referenced style guide page has a broken link.

The page is https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Limited_Acce ... tyle_Guide

The link that is broken is https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Limited_Acce ... amps_be.3F

Please note:
  • This is a reference to a bookmark on that same page.
  • The referenced bookmark has been removed.
  • The reference occurs two times on that page.
mgg4nic

POSTER_ID:16858263

Send a message
Last edited by sketch on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed forum topic name
iPad 4 and iPhone 6 Plus - Waze Ver 4.4.0.0
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Semi-active, casual editor, who used to be very active.

Post by kentsmith9
I also removed the Green Check from the original completed action, since the thread is now discussing further updates that need to be considered.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:Well if the name of the freeway is consistent, it should be prevented by the big detour prevention mechanism. Alternatively, if you have brought the leaves together to a single junction to prevent the straight through movement, you can also prevent the leaf-to-leaf movement. If that is done on one of the other leaf-to-leaf junctions that should also prevent this. But I would suggest relying on the detour prevention.
Currently the Detour Prevention Mechanisms article says it will only prevent straight through routing if you have:
the last segment on the highway/freeway before the detour has the same street name and same city name as the next highway/freeway segment after the detour
In the case where a city boundary is on the overpass that crosses the freeway, we have two separate city names on the segments on either side. If the Wiki is correct you will be routed off and back on the freeway.

I propose if this is still true, we should modify this guide to provide a means to prevent this if Waze is not planning to do so.

Ideas:
  1. Keep the city name the same on the freeway the same on both sides of the ramps. Won't really affect the city layer much visually at that point.
  2. Remove the city name for the freeway segments on either side of the two ramps. Won't really affect the city layer much visually at that point.
  3. If the city name is split at an overpass with the off and on ramp possibility, mark the straight through path as restricted. Requires we add back the image previously used.
  4. Wait for Waze to do something about this (soon). :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Seems like we are proposing the following change to the Wiki (at least for the USA):
  1. Stop adding city names to freeways (and major/minor highways?) when not already present.
  2. Remove city names from these same roadways around interchanges if the city name changes on either side.
Hazard reports will already include "near CITYNAME" without the city field populated so users are not confused as to a location.

Question: Should we review with Waze staff just to be sure there is nothing we are missing or they have never told us, or that they possibly will be doing something in the future with the city names on these roadways?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I am OK with the new proposal, but actually I believe the only reason it stopped providing the exit ramp instruction was because we showed the other route was restricted. I thought once you opened the straight through route it provided two routes from the segment exit so it would then provide both keep instructions.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I don't typically have the TTS on in my car and I am not recalling the actual TTS or text guidance that will appear in these situations. Without the "to" in the name for the continuation, what will be said if you are on "I-5 N" and the road splits between "I-5 N" and "I-505 N"?

{Red is the segment name}

If I am on I-5 N and continue on I-5 N, do I get "Stay to the left for I-5 N" ?
But if I had "to" in the name does TTS change to say "Stay to the left to I-5 N" ?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
davielde wrote:You should get "Stay to the left AT I-5 N[orth]" for your instruction if it is a properly configured wayfinder. TTS will not pronounce the "to", but it will appear on-screen for the second example. You won't get an instruction though for the first example if the segment in is "I-5 N" and the segment out matches. By definition though, the first example wouldn't be a wayfinder since the segment names are the same.
Got it. My example assumed the segments and names were configured as described above me with the appropriate gaps to trigger the name change.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
I know it probably falls in the category of too rare for the wiki, but here goes:
What about the Diverging Diamond Interchange (wiki), do we want to include this style?
I know Maryland just built our first last year (edit: 2012).
http://i59.tinypic.com/14lnfya.png
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
daknife wrote:nzahn1 if you go back one page, we just barely discussed Diverging diamonds, including complete diamonds rather than half diamonds as the one you shared, which exact interchange was also included in our discussion. It is advisable to read through a thread before posting to it.
Aww {expletive}! :oops: I promise I really do read threads. I thought I could skip one page and be safe. I've clearly now learned my lesson.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
qwaletee wrote:Matter of opinion. When you break a convergence, with equal lanes for each of the highways that are separating, it makes sense to hear "keep left to <same road you are on>" as a wayfinder. How else would you say it?
I think this comes back to the need for a "straight" or "continue" option (wish list).
It would be so nice to hear "Continue to the Left on I-10W" or "Continue straight on I-695 E".
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message