Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:The subpages for all the Mapping Resources links on that page should be moved to pages like [[Maryland/Mapping resources]] rather than [[Maryland mapping resources]].
So would that be the subpage currently here: http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Maryland#Mapping_Resources ?
Yes. Didn't mean to confuse with my example as I made it up. In this case we can map the [[USA/Mapping resources]] for Maryland to that section of Maryland.

Your example is perfect actually. You can see how the page [[Maryland]] has a section called "Mapping Resources or [[Maryland#Mapping Resources]]. Subpages would get created when the content of a section becomes too big for the original page (but is still unique to that page). So if the "mapping resources" section for any state got too big, we could move it to a subpage called [[Maryland/Mapping resources]]. You could then keep the section heading [[Maryland#Mapping Resources]] and in that section it says "See [[Maryland/Mapping resources|Maryland Mapping Resources]]." You can alter the text displayed for the link as desired of course.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
trooster10 wrote:1. We have "To-Do List" pages for Maryland that include individual pages for all counties and major cities, but these pages are obsolete.

I agree that county and city specific pages aren't really going to contain anything useful in Maryland.
If we know we don't need some of these pages, maybe just let me know and we can actually delete them from the system. Otherwise we can move all of them into subpages of [[Maryland]].
trooster10 wrote: 2. There are sections of the Maryland page (such as Mapping Resources) that could be moved to their own subpage, or made part of a USA mapping resources page.

I'd considered having MD mapping resources on its own page since it's one of the only sections editors would need to reference repeatedly.
The mapping resources page would end up on its own subpage linked to the USA mapping resources and linked from the main MD page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jondrush wrote:I think your assertion that city and county pages need to be subs of Maryland. But I don't see the need for cities to be under counties. City or county can be a flat list without confusion. If the only purpose of the county pages is to provide a link to the GIS, then those can be under mapping resources.
Jon, I'm not sure if you were addressing me or trooster10. In case I was not clear in my proposal. The page http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/To_Do_-_Maryland should be a subpage of http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Maryland, or it should be moved into the Maryland page itself. I am not proposing which it should be, only that it should not be a stand alone page where it is current located.

If the stand alone page is desired, but you want to have it be different, let me know what you would want to call it, and I can move it as a subpage with that name.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I fixed the three other links to the international pages not related directly to this page. We just need to figure out if we delete this page and have the AM 101 page link to the USA state page list where most of the to do items now reside.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jondrush wrote:https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/To_Do_lists_-_Major_Cities
I marked this page for deletion. But what should I do with all the linked to-do pages? Most are way out of date. Does anyone hold those close to their hearts? Or can I go through and mark all the unmaintained ones for deletion? The alternative is to make them subpages to their respective state page.
I thought about this one more. Maybe we can check if these to do pages are already linked to the pages in the Mapping Resources page to each state. If not then link them. Then we can redirect this To Do page to the Mapping Resources page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I am pretty sure you can move either of those pages to the current [[Oregon]] page without us deleting it first. If you have a problem when you decide which one to move, let me know and I can make it happen.

After you pick one, we should make the other page a subpage of the new [[Oregon]]. That is as simple as moving the page from [[To Do - Oregon]] to [[Oregon/To Do]].

Note I think most of the states use the resources page as the main page and the To Do is a sub page (or moving toward sub pages slowly).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by russblau
If you're going to do a hierarchical/sub-page structure, shouldn't it be [[Maryland]], [[Maryland/Anne Arundel County]], [[Maryland/Baltimore County]], etc., and then add "/To do" subpages under each one where needed?
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by trooster10
I am still pretty new to Wiki editing so please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding of your conversation is this:

1. We have "To-Do List" pages for Maryland that include individual pages for all counties and major cities, but these pages are obsolete.

I agree that county and city specific pages aren't really going to contain anything useful in Maryland.

2. There are sections of the Maryland page (such as Mapping Resources) that could be moved to their own subpage, or made part of a USA mapping resources page.

I'd considered having MD mapping resources on its own page since it's one of the only sections editors would need to reference repeatedly.
trooster10
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Thomas R. - Level 5 Editor
State Manager - Maryland