County and City page cleanup

Post by kentsmith9
There appears to be a few states that have set up pages linking from a state to its various counties and then to the various cities under it. Overall that is fine, but unfortunately the pages were creates with no connection to the counties or states above them.

The biggest problem is we now have a ambiguity problem. Someone searches for Kern County and finds the page, but has no idea if this is in Maryland, California, Texas, etc.

This is easy to fix by creating a structure for all state specific pages. I will use Maryland as my example here. Start with the page Maryland. Now with a world community, we might argue this page should be a sub page of "USA", but I think most of the states in the US have unique names from others around the world. If I am wrong we can come back to this one.

Next we take To Do - Maryland. Since this is a subset of Maryland, it should be moved to a page called [[Maryland/To Do]]. Currently on this page are 1. Major Cities with To Do lists of cities, and 2. Counties with lists of all the counties.

For the Major Cities section, currently this page links to places like [[To Do - Baltimore]] which is non-existant, but I did find [[To Do - Baltimore-Towson, MD]]. All the other major cities on that page link nowhere. Not sure if there is intent to build them out or not, but if they were built, they should be [[Maryland/To Do - Baltimore]] or [[Maryland/To Do - Baltimore-Towson]].

For the Counties currently on this page, they mostly go to actual pages like Charles County. Unfortunately again there are many Charles Counties in the US. So this page should go to [[Maryland/Charles County]] or [[Maryland/To Do - Charles County]].

Under that page is only a single link to
Charles City Names that should or shouldn't be on the map.
That links to an unlinked list of City Names that apparently should not be on the map. This particular page could simply be moved onto the Charles County page as a section titled "Not to be added" or something like that.

I am not sure how many other states have this same structure, but I can go through and fix them for the state. I'll check the links after the move to be sure all source pages are linked correctly. The redirects will stay so any external links will go to the right place. This way any searches resulting on one of these pages, will end up on a Maryland subpage so at least the searcher will know what state the city or county is covering.

I will wait a bit for additional feedback before I start this process.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Would a wiki-foo-admin please delete the Oregon redirect page? I would like to move the Oregon to-do page to Oregon, or perhaps move current Oregon mapping resources page to Oregon. Not sure which I prefer yet.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
The naming format is legacy and left over from these two pages: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/To_Do_lists_ ... e-Province & https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/To_Do_lists_-_Major_Cities.

Back in May 2012, I took "To Do - Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT" moved to "To Do - Connecticut" because 1) There were no other pages for CT To-Do Lists and 2) Page already covers To-Do for more than just the Greater Hartford Area.

Just so I'm clear, what you are proposing is to rename "To Do - Connecticut" to "Connecticut/To Do" & "To Do - Connecticut Landmarks" to "Connecticut/To Do/Landmarks". Both pages also have the categories of "Connecticut" and "USA To Do" on them.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
This all sounds good to me.

I'm not sure that there is much momentum to update the To Do list is Maryland at this point. The history is that one editor started to work on them a couple of years ago, but that user flamed out of editing. At this point, I think all the useful information is on the Maryland page first cited.

I also think that where https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mapping_resources_(USA) fits in this revision should be considered.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
kentsmith9 wrote:If the MD team can confirm which is ultimately desired for those subpages, then we can pick the appropriate path. I would assume that the subpages would not hold any useful data beyond the To Do lists though. If someone thinks otherwise I would love to understand.
I agree at this point that we don't need substantive pages for counties or cities in Maryland. As there is not an effort to maintain To Do lists at this point, I don't see that the pages are going to contain anything useful.

kentsmith9 wrote:The subpages for all the Mapping Resources links on that page should be moved to pages like [[Maryland/Mapping resources]] rather than [[Maryland mapping resources]].
So would that be the subpage currently here: http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Maryland#Mapping_Resources ?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by HavanaDay
I think it would be ok if the to-do's for North Carolina pages can be moved. I can recreate if necessary. If we are keeping the To do page just have them point to the NC page. Just have them point to here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mapping_resources_(USA)
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jondrush
I think your assertion that city and county pages need to be subs of Maryland. But I don't see the need for cities to be under counties. City or county can be a flat list without confusion. If the only purpose of the county pages is to provide a link to the GIS, then those can be under mapping resources.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/To_Do_lists_-_Major_Cities
I marked this page for deletion. But what should I do with all the linked to-do pages? Most are way out of date. Does anyone hold those close to their hearts? Or can I go through and mark all the unmaintained ones for deletion? The alternative is to make them subpages to their respective state page.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
russblau wrote:If you're going to do a hierarchical/sub-page structure, shouldn't it be [[Maryland]], [[Maryland/Anne Arundel County]], [[Maryland/Baltimore County]], etc., and then add "/To do" subpages under each one where needed?
Either option works fine because they are both under Maryland. The deciding factor is based on the purpose of the page. If the County pages exist solely to have a list of things to do, and when they are done the page is no longer required, then you want [[Maryland/To Do/Baltimore County]].

If the MD team can confirm which is ultimately desired for those subpages, then we can pick the appropriate path. I would assume that the subpages would not hold any useful data beyond the To Do lists though. If someone thinks otherwise I would love to understand.

If the NC team has an opinion on their subpages of Counties going beyond just a To Do list, let's understand before we move them.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:I also think that where https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mapping_resources_(USA) fits in this revision should be considered.
This page on its own is fine, although in a world view is might need to be [[Mapping resources/USA]] in case we have [[Mapping resources/France]], [[Mapping resources/Canada]], etc.

The subpages for all the Mapping Resources links on that page should be moved to pages like [[Maryland/Mapping resources]] rather than [[Maryland mapping resources]].

In case it is not obvious from the new page names I have been proposing, these subpages are created like sections on a page, but they have still have separate but easily identifiable and linkable page names.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message