Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by dbraughlr
I highly doubt waze is going to divert you 40 miles to stay on higher classified roads if that specific primary road cuts 40 miles off your trip.
This sounds like a testable assumption.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
bz2012 wrote:Paragraph needing possible revision:
"Emergency and Authorized Vehicles Only" and DOT Service Roads are to be treated as Non-drivable roads. These are found primarily through the median of divided highways to connect opposite direction lanes. If mapped, they should not be connected to any drivable road, with properties set to road type Private Road, and lock the segment at as high a rank as possible, up to rank 5.
Here is a trackback to the likely source of this text:
"Emergency and Authorized Vehicles Only" and PennDOT Service Roads are to be treated as non-drivable roads as well. You primarily see these between interstate roads and on the Turnpike. If mapped, they should not be connected to any drivable road, the road type should be set as Private Road and locked at the highest rank of the editor.
-- Pennsylvania wiki
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
bart99gt wrote:I never draw in the "Emergency Vehicle Only" crossovers (paved or unpaved) on limited access roads. Since a typical driver can't legally use it under normal circumstances, there's little point to even have them there.
Can anyone speak to what policy exists for crossovers which are legal and useful?
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
irowiki wrote:Strange that on street view there's a stop sign pointing roughly north but no road that I can see.
There are yield signs in both directions.

Street View
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
qwaletee wrote:Why wouldn't that be mapped like any other AGC?
Previous answer.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
CBenson wrote:I agree that the crossover looks like a accident waiting to happen. But I have no information on whether it is legal or useful.
Heading out of Van Horn westbound, traffic is simply forced onto the interstate. The crossover is the only reasonable route to get back into town or to cross between the north side and the south side of town.

There isn't much interstate traffic through here. The crossover is pretty easy to access. It is used enough that there are only yield signs to make it convenient for local traffic. I'm on the side of disallowing turns that are dangerous or requiring aggressive maneuvering. The crossovers around Van Horn are safe, imo.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
qwaletee wrote:I do agree that if you hit the Interstate and realize you forgot to turn off the oven, you would have a long "detour" to get back home without the turnaround. But do you really need Waze routing for that?
True story: It happened to me. I unintentionally joined the interstate while scouting for food.
Waze wanted me to take the long detour back. At least I wasn't hunting for a fuel station!
So yes, Waze should help people out of such mistakes.
I make such mistakes often. Someone who is lost is in greater need of assistance.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
PhantomSoul wrote:Just out of curiosity, don't Interstates require a grade-separated crossing and full interchange at least once every 20 miles (or something like that) for like just in case someone needs to turn around?
Such a rule certainly has not always been followed. I'm pretty sure that I've seen a segment of 47 miles somewhere.

I think the PA turnpike has a 36-mile stretch (Somerset to Bedford).

Those exits on I-25 in rural Wyoming access ranches, businesses, and homes. A lot of roads are unpaved.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Almost a year ago I wrote up a draft AGC wiki article in an attempt to clarify when AGCs are and are not needed. The effort stalled when I found there were two very different perspectives in the community.

Some say Waze is demonstrably unreliable with turn instructions and timing. The final turn instruction often issues too late to act, while earlier turn instructions often fail to issue at all. This perspective calls for editors to do everything possible to advance the final turn instruction so that it comes in time for a driver who did not receive earlier warnings.

Others say that Waze reliably issues final and penultimate turn instructions with adequate time in most situations. This perspective calls for great care with AGCs, not just because of unnecessary map clutter, but because of the risk of early turn instructions confusing drivers.

Encountering these two opposite perspectives threw me for a loop. It was like we were using totally different apps! I couldn't see any way to reconcile them into more detailed AGC guidance, and shelved the project.

But I still hope the draft may be useful someday. I wrote it from a conservative perspective, but it could always be tweaked. It was just a starting point.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
It would be nice for the "dirt road" section to mention the possibility, on a state-by-state basis, of using the road type for "uncommonly rough or poorly-maintained roads by local standards, whether technically paved or not". Or something to that effect.

In my area roads are generally very well maintained. So, local Wazers complain if they are routed over a rough or poorly-maintained road, regardless of whether a layer of asphalt is present amidst the potholes. To address those concerns, on rare occasions I'll use the "dirt road" type.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message