Road Types (USA) – comprehensive overhaul of drivable roads

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: Road Types (USA) – comprehensive overhaul of drivable ro

Postby juliansean » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:15 pm

I cannot add or remove junctions. I can delete geonodes and update the SL. Since I had never seen routing preference before, I didn't know who to bug - our R4's or R5's to unlock for junction work. Thank you for the information though. When asking around in my local Slack, a fellow editor saw them in a different state. That's why I came on here since this covers multiple states. Hoping some of these answers with help other junior editors.
juliansean

Postby Kartografer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:06 pm

That road is at L2; seems like the routing preference setting is functioning as a lock though. If there are other issues with the road, you should ask the editor who last touched it to remove the routing preference so that you can fix, and maybe he could explain why it was set that way in the process.
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby juliansean » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Do you know whether I ask for an R4 unlock or an R5 to fix other issues? Thank you.
juliansean

Postby Kartografer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Yes, the routing preference has been set to "preferred" on your example. It just bumps the road type up 1 on the continuum from street to freeway for routing purposes, although the road will display as its nominal road type. Routing preference can also be set to bump the routing type down, and these settings can only be changed by R5+ I believe.
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby juliansean » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:12 pm

I didn't know what it was called, but if it is called "routing preference" then yes. Here is a PL for one of the roads...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=68325131

Thank you for helping me out on this.
juliansean

Postby FzNk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:45 am

juliansean wrote:I know I'm really late to the game on this forum, but just found a lot of roads that I can't edit in the mountains in California. When fixing other issues, should this setting still be used (PS acting as mH and mH acting as MH), or was this old school? I'm asking here since this doesn't seem to be a California only issue. Thank you.

Are you talking about routing preference? Please post a permalink of an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FzNk
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby juliansean » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:41 am

I know I'm really late to the game on this forum, but just found a lot of roads that I can't edit in the mountains in California. When fixing other issues, should this setting still be used (PS acting as mH and mH acting as MH), or was this old school? I'm asking here since this doesn't seem to be a California only issue. Thank you.
juliansean

Postby KTCAOP » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:05 am

At the same time, with development, how things are planned to go and then what they actually look like upon release are often different.

Best we can do is do the best that we can with the best that we have got o_o.
KTCAOP

Postby voludu2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:11 pm

SeveriorumPatrem wrote:Following thread....

I am continuously surprised and a little disappointed with the frequency that somewhat major changes are implemented without the champs being given enough heads up to coordinate updates of our documentation in advance.

[...]
I think you champs should be treated a lot better than that,

Really, all of us. It is difficult to edit the map properly unless we know how to edit the map properly.

We do this for fun. As crazy as that may make us sound,

So, if the Waze team keeps it fun, it is able to attract and retain more editors.
If it keeps us in the dark, we lose motivation and interest because it is not as much fun.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 am

Following thread....

I am continuously surprised and a little disappointed with the frequency that somewhat major changes are implemented without the champs being given enough heads up to coordinate updates of our documentation in advance.

Log in, find "unpaved" in the road type in place of "4x4 dirt road", go do some research, and the consensus is "we don't really know how this works yet, but at least we think we know where they're going with it.... eventually."

I think you champs should be treated a lot better than that, considering how much you do for them.... for free. Thanks.
SeveriorumPatrem
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion