Road Types (USA) – comprehensive overhaul of drivable roads

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: Road Types (USA) – comprehensive overhaul of drivable ro

Postby nzahn1 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:42 pm

vickimachado wrote:Is there a forum discussion on the implementation that's already going? There haven't been any posts here for a while. Thanks.

We are a little more piecemeal in the mid-atlantic: Here's the Maryland discussion.
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby banished » Sun May 04, 2014 5:02 pm

In the Southeast, we're handling it at a regional level instead of each state going rogue. It works because all 3 states are so similar in their road systems.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Machete808 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:51 pm

sketch wrote:It is done.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/USA

I have posted an announcement in the United States forum. Perhaps it is also wise to post an announcement in the Waze Map Editor forum?

Also I made a tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/RoadTypesUSA (not case sensitive).

Is there a forum discussion on the implementation that's already going? There haven't been any posts here for a while. Thanks.
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby sketch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:30 pm

It is done.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/USA

I have posted an announcement in the United States forum. Perhaps it is also wise to post an announcement in the Waze Map Editor forum?

Also I made a tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/RoadTypesUSA (not case sensitive).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:44 pm

daknife wrote:One word, Construction. As I mentioned in another comment changing the road to a preferred road type would dump traffic because of a major construction project nearby, the sectin in question runs between a mH and a Primary road, a good deal of traffic is being diverted over to the primary road, but on a road designed for increased capacity.
Again, what makes you think that will happen just because the type is changed? Type does not include any preference when there's historical data and this has been demonstrated ad-infinitum. All type does it determine when a potential route running over it will get pruned depending on total route length, run length of the section in question, and where in that route that section is. Pruning is not preference.

So unless this section of road exists in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage or was just deleted and redrawn in the last week, type is meaningless in terms of reroutes due to construction.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:39 pm

At this point you're trying to disprove my system through some example that isn't even real, just the result of a misunderstanding. I don't know why you're still trying to argue this point. It's completely irrelevant.

If you'd actually read the proposed rules you would know that principal arterials and US HIGHWAYS are to be set as major highway. US Highways are highways with a number and US in front of the number. Again, the Pennsylvania example is major because it's US-30, not because it's the Lincoln Highway. So whatever might happen on your section of the "Historic Lincoln Highway" is irrelevant unless it has a US route number, which it does not.

And it would not act like you say it would, regardless. No, it wouldn't. That's not how it works. I don't know why so many people come in and think it works that way.

Even if it does, you cannot look at one road in a vacuum and think 'what would happen if I upgraded this road?' That's not relevant either. The proper question to ask is 'what would happen if I upgraded a bunch of these roads', and the answer is 'routing will improve dramatically', and the method is detailed in the original post of this thread.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Daknife » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 pm

One word, Construction. As I mentioned in another comment changing the road to a preferred road type would dump traffic because of a major construction project nearby, the sectin in question runs between a mH and a Primary road, a good deal of traffic is being diverted over to the primary road, but on a road designed for increased capacity. Further I also stated that my point was in reguards to what I understood as someone claiming the Lincoln Hwy as equal to a US Hwy.

So no, there is no need to change the road type. But should such a change be made it would in fact result in a great deal of traffic being dumped onto that road as the construction currently has speeds well below the 25 mph of the residential road.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby bgodette » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:18 pm

daknife wrote:I'm not going to mark it as such in Waze, because the residents would not appreciate a sudden influx of misrouted Wazers, nor would the Wazers appreciate the routing.
What makes you think that'll happen?

In any case it's a historical highway, not a current active US highway. I've got plenty of that around here from I-70 making large parts of US-6 historical and un-maintained except by the state.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:34 am

I received a return email from the GA DOT on my query about the broken links to their FC maps.

In response to your inquiry IMS000000065643 submitted on 4/16/2014 1:04:26 PM to Georgia Department of Transportation:

Thank you for contacting YOUR Georgia Department of Transportation. The Office of Transportation Data has retired the Functional Classification Maps. We're in the process of removing this information from the external website. People interested in this information should contact Transportation Data directly at (770) 986-1360.

We do appreciate you contacting our agency and please feel free to contact us again.

Respectfully,
Customer Service Unit
Georgia DOT

That is interesting given https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=214&t=89310. Maybe I'll call the number next week to see if they really mean the FC information will no longer be publicly available.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby pumrum » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:36 am

So when do we start to implement? :)
pumrum

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion