No votes
Road type3 - New Road Templates in Top 2 columns only
71%
Prefer not to use the new Road Templates
No votes

Total votes : 7

[Page Update] Roundabout - Road type

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:21 am

(Linking to an old thread on roundabouts that was 18 months old.)
Sketch and I have made some updates on the current Roundabout page. We have three sample pages to get some feedback.

These pages use the new road type templates created by sirKitKat recently. The pages have been reformatted a bit and we added a few extra example roundabouts not previously covered.

Road type 1 - New Road Templates in Description and Top 2 columns

Road type2 - New Road Templates in Description only

Road type3 - New Road Templates in Top 2 columns only

Once you review them please vote in the poll to help determine which one will go into the Wiki.

Note that the type3 example page is a little different than the first two, but only the content of the first page will be in the final page. Type2 and type3 pages are only for visual purposes.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Page Update] Roundabout - Road type

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:00 am

At this point based on feedback so far I have implemented the 3rd proposal for the Top 2 column only.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:02 am

Not about the road type, but about roundabouts. The page mentions making a landmark if the circle is named. Should this be updated to the new WME Places, and if so should there be a recommendation to use the Area style place, and the Place Type as Junction / Interchange?
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:11 pm

PesachZ wrote:Not about the road type, but about roundabouts. The page mentions making a landmark if the circle is named. Should this be updated to the new WME Places, and if so should there be a recommendation to use the Area style place, and the Place Type as Junction / Interchange?

Good catch. Done.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:24 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:Not about the road type, but about roundabouts. The page mentions making a landmark if the circle is named. Should this be updated to the new WME Places, and if so should there be a recommendation to use the Area style place, and the Place Type as Junction / Interchange?

Good catch. Done.

Thank you sir, just looking back and there were two mentions of the same info on that page. The other is still untouched and should probably be corrected as well or linked back to the first one you already corrected.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Roundabout#Improving_manually_drawn_roundabouts wrote:For the road name, leave that blank as no road name to allow the routing server to operate properly. If the roundabout is named it will not route as expected. Alternately you can create a landmark at the center of the roundabout and name it as desired.

Maybe even make the first paragraph mentioned into its own subsection (2.2).
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Kent, should we mention that it is not necessary to draw the landmark as a circle to fill the roundabout island? It is only serving to identify the name of the center area, and any size/shap landmark would do for that?

Also, alternately is unclear. It makes it seem like you have a choice of two things. Use instead, instead. ;)
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:15 pm

PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:

Good catch. Done.

Thank you sir, just looking back and there were two mentions of the same info on that page. The other is still untouched and should probably be corrected as well or linked back to the first one you already corrected.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Roundabout#Improving_manually_drawn_roundabouts wrote:For the road name, leave that blank as no road name to allow the routing server to operate properly. If the roundabout is named it will not route as expected. Alternately you can create a landmark at the center of the roundabout and name it as desired.

Maybe even make the first paragraph mentioned into its own subsection (2.2).

I updated both sections to read the same way now. I didn't create the subsection yet, but we can consider that. We may want to look at the whole section and possibly reformat it. Maybe that is the only thing that needs to be modified though.

qwaletee wrote:Kent, should we mention that it is not necessary to draw the landmark as a circle to fill the roundabout island? It is only serving to identify the name of the center area, and any size/shap landmark would do for that?

Also, alternately is unclear. It makes it seem like you have a choice of two things. Use instead, instead. ;)

Reworded slightly differently and made both sections match.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm not saying add it to the page, but I will say that named roundabout segments don't mess anything up IME. I've had a name on a circle here for years because there are addresses on the circle; navigation has worked fine the whole time.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:09 pm

sketch wrote:I'm not saying add it to the page, but I will say that named roundabout segments don't mess anything up IME. I've had a name on a circle here for years because there are addresses on the circle; navigation has worked fine the whole time.

Interesting. That information has been in the Wiki as long as I have known. Maybe it is no longer true.

I would think that generally it should not have a name since it is more of an intersection that usually has no name.

In cases where there is a clear name on the roadway, I guess if it still provides navigation correctly, then we should reconsider the guidance.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Well, it's a difference between roundabouts and (some) traffic circles, really. Roundabouts exist within the space of an intersection; traffic circles are larger. Waze handles both the same. Roundabouts aren't big enough to have buildings on them; traffic circles are, even if many don't. Lee Circle does.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion