[New Page] Median U-turn intersection

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page] Median U-turn intersection

Postby davielde » Fri May 30, 2014 1:21 pm

sketch wrote:BTW, "Between 1 and 44 degrees" in the DLT page should be changed to "Between 1 and 43 degrees" due to a recently-discovered imprecision in Junction Angle Info — "44" can mean either <44.5 (stay) or >44.5 (turn) by Waze.

The change has been made.
davielde

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:05 am

sketch wrote:Yeah that sounds best. Intersections, Special intersections, Interchanges, and maybe Special interchanges. And Controlling turn instructions.

For the single subpage (I assume that is what you meant sounded good), we need to come up with the one subpage name for those 4 sections.

Or maybe we have one subpage of every kind of [[Junction Style Guide/Named Intersections]] and another of every kind of [[Junction Style Guide/Named Interchanges]].

I am open to other thoughts as well.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:19 am

Excellent work David.
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Thu May 29, 2014 12:13 am

Yeah that sounds best. Intersections, Special intersections, Interchanges, and maybe Special interchanges. And Controlling turn instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:09 am

sketch wrote:Should they be on subpages? Is this stuff too long for sections?

The JSG itself is already too big to add these directly, which is why we moved some of the larger sections to sub pages.

If you are proposing we have a single subpage with all these Special Intersections, I could support that since they are currently pretty small. Then if they got too big over time with other data we had not considered, we could always break them into individual subpages.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed May 28, 2014 11:17 pm

These are very good pages.

Should they be on subpages? Is this stuff too long for sections?

BTW, "Between 1 and 44 degrees" in the DLT page should be changed to "Between 1 and 43 degrees" due to a recently-discovered imprecision in Junction Angle Info — "44" can mean either <44.5 (stay) or >44.5 (turn) by Waze.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 am

These are really good.

I recommend we create subpages of the JSG as we have been doing with other sections previously in the JSG. We can create a section on special junction types and list each one with an image of what it looks like. That would then link to the subpage.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davielde » Tue May 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Request for Comments:

Regardless of how these end up being incorporated into a broader page like JSG, here are some updates for MUTI as well as an additional paragraph about RCUT and also Displaced Left Turns (DLT). Rather than repeat a lot of the same information from MUTI, the RCUT guidance assumes basic knowledge of how the MUTI treatment works since they're somewhat related. I have not tried to tackle jughandles.

1. Median U-Turn Intersection (MUTI)
  2. Restricted Crossing U-Turn (RCUT)
  3. Displaced Left Turn (DLT)
davielde

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:09 am

qwaletee wrote:I don't agree with the single-page-per-intersection idea.
Unless you want to totally rethink JSG and how we structure the information as a whole, please don't do this.

The idea is that the JSG is a single page with at least an entry and image for every type of junction. Each of the more complex junctions like MUTI, Jughandles, etc, would have a subpage with all the details of that particular junction type. That way the JSG lets people scan the images if they don't know the names of the interchange, and then they can drill into the details by clicking on the links for that junction type.

Today the JSG is already too big to scan through and maintain. We are discussing these JSG changes in https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=86666.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:03 am

I think you're right about that — and honestly, as I was writing that post, I was thinking the same thing. I worded it "I think the plan was" so as to convey the message that we had been thinking of doing it that way, but I don't necessarily think it's best. I had the same thought about the interchange styles and formatting intersection styles similarly.

We'd been thinking of MUTI, RCUT, and Jughandle in the context of "at-grade connector exceptions" (i.e., when to use ramps for at-grade connectors), but really they're "types of intersections" with special rules. It'd make more sense for the at-grade connector page exceptions section to link to the appropriate subsections of the Junction Style Guide/Intersections page.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion