[New Page] Map tiles

Moderator: Unholy

[New Page] Map tiles

Postby davielde » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:42 am

With regard to landmarks, here is an interesting screenshot that I took today. There used to be a rather large landmark for a state recreation area covering a few tiles in addition to this one, but looking in the editor, the landmark was recently deleted either just before the freeze or perhaps in the beta editor since the freeze. In the app, this tile-sized and tile-shaped remnant exists even when I manually refresh the map data, and I can even see it on separate devices as well. In LiveMap, however, nothing appears, consistent with the landmark deletion.

Is there a chance that when a landmark is added or edited, only the tiles that actually have geometry nodes (or perhaps even just the center point of the polygon) have an update triggered? If what I have here is what I think it is, tiles simply "covered" by large landmarks are not updated when the landmark changes. There are only a few road segments in that area, and none of them have been touched since November, so nothing recently has prompted a tile update.
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Map tiles updates for deleted landmarks

Postby davielde » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:57 pm

dbraughlr wrote:Perhaps just deleting a landmark doesn't cause a tile update but when the landmark is immediately replaced by a new landmark covering the same tiles, there is no way to tell.

It would be worthwhile to test unless kentsmith9 or others know that this is already not the case. Lake St Clair would be a good candidate for anyone with beta editor and CM rights.
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Map tiles updates for deleted landmarks

Postby dbraughlr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Perhaps just deleting a landmark doesn't cause a tile update but when the landmark is immediately replaced by a new landmark covering the same tiles, there is no way to tell.
dbraughlr

Re: [New Page] Map tiles

Postby deeploz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi Gadgetmts

Thank you for your contribution.
However, usually, we propose the contribution in a page hosted in our User: namespace. Then, after reviewing and approval of the community, we push the change on the Main namespace.

This is not a significant change and above that, this is somehow already validated as it comes from the Glossary, but keep this best practice in mind for your future contributions.
deeploz
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby deeploz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Of course. you'll find that in this sticky thread.
deeploz
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby gadgetmts » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Great discussion. Knowledge is delicious.

I added the Map Tile definition from the Glossary page to the Map Tiles page: Theory of Operation section. It seems to fit that section, but... your thoughts?

Mostly, I wanted to capture the Tile Size on the Map Tiles page as that question comes up often.
Jeremy - Work hard, WAZE harder
ImageImage
gadgetmts
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby gadgetmts » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Great feedback on the process. Can you point me to that procedure in writing so that I can learn more?
Jeremy - Work hard, WAZE harder
ImageImage
gadgetmts
Area Manager
Area Manager

[New Page] Map tiles

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:44 pm

I have not yet created content for this page, but on it I believe we should cover the following:

• Definition - Describe it briefly (probably just the into paragraph)
  • Theory of operation - Describe why they exist and how they work (at a basic level)
  • Updates - What does and does not trigger an update
  • Other?

We do know that the following do NOT cause a tile update:
  • Camera updates
Waze has stated that the following WILL cause a tile update in the area of the segment being edited:
  • Turn Restrictions
  • Elevation
  • Lock levels
Since turn restrictions do not change editor, our initial assumption was incorrect that only mods that change the editor name would update the tiles.

I have a pending question asking about whether the following also trigger an update:
  • Adding or editing House Numbers
  • Changes to Street/Alternate/City/State name
  • Adding toll indicator
  • Geometry changes to a segment
  • Adding a new road through WME
  • Adding a new road by paving in the client
  • Adding or editing a landmark

I am awaiting their reply on this list so we can move it to the Wiki.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:32 pm

I put a bit of what we know so far into [[Map tiles]]. Anyone is welcome to add more information as it is determined.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:18 pm

sketch wrote:I'm confident that geometry, street name, and landmark changes will trigger tile updates. I've heard suspicions that time-based segment restrictions will not.

Good feedback. I assume your confidence on "street name" is based on actual map field (yours or someone else) testing. I am curious because I was thinking at one point I tried changing the name fields of a road and that did not trigger the update, but it did not make sense to me. So if you know that change alone will trigger the update, I am good with that.

For landmark changes, are you grouping 1) geometry changes, 2) entire landmark shifting, and 3) any edits to the name fields as all individually able to trigger a tile update?

Since the landmarks are on a different layer than roads, do we "know" any layer change that triggers a tile update will update all layers?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion