Post by HandofMadness
Any updates guidance on just how aggressive one should be at adding places? Any guidelines as to those that should be deleted?
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
If this is really going live in the next day or so I agree something will need to be done soon. Especially a decision about the gas stations being an area or a point. Since that is mainly what is mapped right now in Waze now.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
sketch wrote:
doctorkb wrote:I'm concerned about two things:
1. "Never" to landmark parking lots that are "associated with campuses" -- the use of parking lots has helped here where you would navigate to a specific parking lot on a university campus. They're usually named, and big enough to warrant an area

Perhaps we should just add a section about how any time we establish rules, there will be exceptions -- if there is a desired exception, then it should be discussed in the local forums and some decision can be made with the assistance of a higher-level editor, who can then also lock it to prevent well-meaning editors from removing it later.
1. Agreed — and as I've said before, I believe every building on a university campus should be mapped.
For sketch. Do you agree as an area or a point? I would have no issue as a point but would probably take some convincing to due it as an area (each building that is)
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
I have a dumb question. I know we can put places in multiple categories but, If I select say Car Dealership, does that A) also place it under the Shopping category automatically or B) Do we need to add it (The shopping & services category). Personally I think B is not needed.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by irowiki
nzahn1 wrote: I'm all about making visible names on the map more readable at a glance, and "school" looks redundant to me.

I agree with this, but what about say, parks? Labeling a park landmark with "Brookside" or "Brookside Park", what would look better?
irowiki
Send a message

Post by irowiki
Makes sense to try and come up with naming conventions per category then, I'd say!
irowiki
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
There is a gas station that I stop at regularly with no PLot roads mapped. It is my habit to turn on waze when I hop in the car and never turn it off while I stop to get coffee every morning. No automated MPs, no traffic jams reported, no "are you in traffic..", nothing. So either waze has changed their algorithm or it is a direct result of the landmark. If waze themselves are saying the landmark doesn't do this, then it must be that they changed their algorithm to suppress the traffic stuff if they don't detect that you are actually on the road.
As for the automated MPs, anyone that has seen them around every McDonalds drive-thru would observe that they don't see them around gas stations generally - tho I'm sure there could be outliers.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Nice work Alan. I added sortability to the first two columns, but for some reason the headings you have suppress the sortability icons. I will have to look at why later.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
The page is looking really good.

If we do put it on a live page we should put a message at the top saying this is only applicable to the beta WME (correct?).

Questions to determine page name:
Is this a part of landmarks or only POI?
Are these places going to be universal to all countries?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
davielde wrote:Does the 50m minimum for landmarks to display in the client also apply to Areas? If so, that would helpful to have on the page.

Also, the pictures display Areas that are not snapped to roads, which was the guidance for landmarks. For anyone new who may not have been familiar with landmarks, could the page provide some clarification stating that while the Area target can be placed on a segment, the boundaries of the polygon should not be snapped to segments?
Good question. If it is I have a thread discussing creating the template for it like we have on Landmarks over here.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message