Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CBenson
So one thing that might be useful to navigation that we are not marking is a collection of address (e.g. an apartment building or a named subdivision or neighborhood), correct?

Seems to me we also need some guidance where to put the point. Can waze route to the closest entrance for a gas station, particularly if the station is on the corner?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I guess that you we can give the go ahead to mark anything that fits the new categories, except for residence. You can the give the suggestions for whether to use area or point, but I would suggest that if in doubt use a point. Then I would suggest that points for buildings should typically go on the front door. Area destination targets should generally go near the edge of landmark where the main entrance road enters the area or otherwise near the designated entrance, unless there is some point within the area that is generally considered the destination (say a visitor's center). I'm sure that there will be exceptions for places like airports, but most of those should already be on the map in areas that are likely to be reviewed as soon as the feature is released.

I'm somewhat concerned how mapping some related business, but not others is going to work. I assume that waze is going to favor the Starbucks that are mapped in waze over those that aren't. But I don't see how to mitigate this issue. As this is crowdsourced info, there are going to be holes in the data. On the up side, the data isn't likely to be significantly worse than the data from Taco Bell on the advertising side of things.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
So for area we give general guidelines on where the boundary and destination targets should be and then list the types that should typically be areas. Then give general guidelines on where points should be and then list the types that should typically be points. With size dependent types listed as say large tourist attractions on the areas list and small tourist attractions on the points list.
That makes sense to me. The guidelines for a Pharmacy aren't going to really be any different than the guidelines for Pool. So there really doesn't need to a separate entry for both.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
That's my recollection as well, but my searching has been as successful as yours.
However, the parking lot roads will address the "missing road" MPs as well.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Parking lot roads through gas stations are only useless if you consider the suppression of jam highlighting, suppression of missing road map problems and giving correct directions into the station and back to the highway useless. We can state that some of these advantages are duplicated by properly mapped landmarks/areas. We can debate whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. However, there are in fact some advantages to having a parking lot road through a gas station.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm wondering whether this guidance remains desirable:
If the lot is contained within a larger landmark, do not repeat that landmark's name; for example if the Domestic Garage is contained within the "SFO San Francisco International Airport" landmark boundaries, it can simply be labeled "Domestic Garage" not "SFO San Francisco International Airport Domestic Garage".
It seems to me that is good advice for display purposes. But if places become the primary search data base, I'm not so sure that this will work well. If I want to route to the SFO Domestic Garage and my search turns up a bunch of places simply named "Domestic Garage" that doesn't seem ideal to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Maybe "domestic parking" isn't the best test case. Maybe this isn't really a parking lot issue. But if I search for arrivals this is what I get:
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Attachments

Post by CBenson
Well with the caveat that I volunteer for many beta and other testing programs this is what I get when searching for arrivals:
arrivalsapp.png
(81.47 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
DwarfLord wrote:
CBenson wrote:Well with the caveat that I volunteer for many beta and other testing programs this is what I get when searching for arrivals
Proliferation of search results for shorter names concerns me too, but I'm far from sure about mitigating it with longer Place names, especially ones that incorporate larger landmark names in which they're contained.
Agreed. Arrivals is the not best example either as you aren't going to search for Arrivals, rather you are going to search for SFO Arrivals or BWI Arrivals or some variant thereof. However, searching for "BWI Arrivals" or "BWI Parking" works because there are map elements that are named have both "BWI" and "Parking" or "Arrivals" in there names. (Although none of them are within a BWI Airport landmark.) I don't think you need to label a McDonalds because people are going to need to distinguish between McDonalds locations anyway. However, for something like airport parking, I'm think a name should be more descriptive than "Domestic Garage" or "Parking." The landmark can't really depend on a larger landmark for context when searching for a destination.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
petervdveen wrote:Then this should be fixed rather then creating another work-a-round.
Every mapping software works with placing the point in the middle and other then the routing 'problem' I see no other benefit.
Google maps doesn't in my experience. The one big advantage Google maps has, is it will route to the street of the address rather than another street along the back of the property. But if you are routing to a business in a shopping center with the parking lot roads mapped. Google routes to the back just like waze does if the pin in the building is closer to a service road in the back. Moving the Google pin to the front door solves the problem in both Waze and Google around here.
petervdveen wrote:Then last thing. We enter a housenumber. Isn't this linked to the housenumber we add manualy with the housenumber function?
Don't know if that has been tested already?
There is no link that I can discern. This makes no sense to me. I don't understand why we need to maintain two separate databases that contain critical overlapping information (stop/target points for all addressed destinations that are not homes) but have different properties (how stop/target points are controlled). This will make troubleshooting routing problems at least twice as difficult as it would be if a route used the same destination point irregardless of whether the user enters an address or a POI name.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message