Post by sketch
Well, seeing as there's already a Pharmacy category for pharmacies...

I see your points, but I don't think any user is going to rely on a red box on the map to decide where to go. If anything, they'll search "emergency room" or "hospital".

Maybe since it's in an early stage we can ask staff to put "Hospital" in one category and "Medical care" in another. I don't know.

I definitely agree having fire and police stations visible is important, don't get me wrong.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Can we please put something in the Wiki saying to use Areas for gas stations for now? Saying "we haven't agreed on it" is confusing, and points are not currently displayed in the client. I will also note that Add > Gas Station draws an Area place.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I think the Places transition changed something:

For a while, I used [blank] for the Brand for stations that weren't in the list because then the Name field was used in place of the Brand in the app.

It seems that Places broke this — now, the [blank] Brand stations are blank in the app too.

Either that, or it was changed between 3.7.7 and 3.7.8, but that seems less likely.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
DwarfLord wrote:Meanwhile the WME offers us nothing to call the Area/Point selection. If WME continues to use "Type" for what the wiki calls the Category, what should we call the Area/Point selection? Application?
Perhaps "Style", for want of anything better.

Although, tbh, I'd be a lot happier to see "Category" in that place in the editor. We got "Polygon" changed to "Area" pretty quickly, so it's not enitrely unfeasible.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:How about "DIsplay type," "Class," or "Visibility"?
Actually, I do really like "Class". Implies that each Place must fit into one Class or another.

Even if we do get a change to "Category", I think I may like "Class" better than "Type" for Area/Point.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
sketch wrote:Can we please put something in the Wiki saying to use Areas for gas stations for now? Saying "we haven't agreed on it" is confusing, and points are not currently displayed in the client. I will also note that Add > Gas Station draws an Area place.
I'm just going to go ahead and change this now. Feel free to raise any qualms you might have. Gas stations are a special case and we shouldn't be messing with them before we know how they would work as Points.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I agree with many of qwaletee's points (no pun intended). Like most things, I assume their display will come in Waze 4.0.

I do not agree that local (by state) standards for Places is proper. I believe state landmark guidelines only happened because some state managers liked some landmarks and others didn't. There's some value to local flavor—state highway naming and what do you call those U turn segments?—but in general the experience should be consistent throughout a country.

That said, I do agree with vectorspace that Area Places are not a Bad Thing and maybe we should be more generous with them. I always liked the way the "don't do this" example client screenshots looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I don't like the school abbreviations or truncations. Space is at a premium in the "next instruction" nav box, not so much on the map — dynamic name visibility takes care of that. While leaving "School" off of "Jefferson Elementary" might make sense, "Detroit Waldorf" doesn't make sense to the unacquainted. "St. Martin's Episcopal" looks more like a church.

In the same vein, HS is readily identifiable, but MS and ES not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
nzahn1 wrote: Well, google's results are included in the instant results. If you actually press the search key, I've been getting waze results first, but I've heard the priority is given to the last database you used.
Mostly right. I believe Waze results are given first upon pressing "Search" unless there are no matching Waze results — and actually, at least on iOS, Contacts results are given even before Waze results if there is a match. But yes, only Google is used on Instant.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I added the following guidance to #Setting the stop point for a [Point] Place: "Typically, if the Place is inside a building, the marker should be located at or near the location's front door."

I also changed the example image to one that might actually use a Point Place (not a gas station).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message