[New Page Proposal] Places

Moderator: Unholy

[New Page Proposal] Places

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:28 pm

I quickly took the current voting (global) for how to map Places (Area vs Point) and threw it on a subpage of my profile real quick just to start it off. It's messy and includes little detail and no pretty screenshots or anything. Just whether to map as Point or Area.

<link removed>

The Places page has been moved out of my user space and into the Main wiki space:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: Places

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:32 pm

So does this mean that we plan to map all places locations, that is all locations that may be searched for by something other than an address, including essentially all retail business.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: Places

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:45 pm

CBenson wrote:So does this mean that we plan to map all places locations, that is all locations that may be searched for by something other than an address, including essentially all retail business.

Yes, that is the plan. I don't think I'm jumping the gun too much, so here's a snap of a Point Place gas station.
Attachments
place_point_gas_station.jpg
(32.35 KiB) Downloaded 3331 times
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: [New Page Proposal] Places

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:17 pm

So one thing that might be useful to navigation that we are not marking is a collection of address (e.g. an apartment building or a named subdivision or neighborhood), correct?

Seems to me we also need some guidance where to put the point. Can waze route to the closest entrance for a gas station, particularly if the station is on the corner?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 pm

CBenson wrote:So one thing that might be useful to navigation that we are not marking is a collection of address (e.g. an apartment building or a named subdivision or neighborhood), correct?

Seems to me we also need some guidance where to put the point. Can waze route to the closest entrance for a gas station, particularly if the station is on the corner?

No collections can be supported, if I understand your query.

Area Places have a single destination target at this time. Navigation ends at this point. A Point is the destination target.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:16 pm

I guess that you we can give the go ahead to mark anything that fits the new categories, except for residence. You can the give the suggestions for whether to use area or point, but I would suggest that if in doubt use a point. Then I would suggest that points for buildings should typically go on the front door. Area destination targets should generally go near the edge of landmark where the main entrance road enters the area or otherwise near the designated entrance, unless there is some point within the area that is generally considered the destination (say a visitor's center). I'm sure that there will be exceptions for places like airports, but most of those should already be on the map in areas that are likely to be reviewed as soon as the feature is released.

I'm somewhat concerned how mapping some related business, but not others is going to work. I assume that waze is going to favor the Starbucks that are mapped in waze over those that aren't. But I don't see how to mitigate this issue. As this is crowdsourced info, there are going to be holes in the data. On the up side, the data isn't likely to be significantly worse than the data from Taco Bell on the advertising side of things.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Would this page be easier if it were broken into two main sections for Point and Area?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:08 pm

So for area we give general guidelines on where the boundary and destination targets should be and then list the types that should typically be areas. Then give general guidelines on where points should be and then list the types that should typically be points. With size dependent types listed as say large tourist attractions on the areas list and small tourist attractions on the points list.
That makes sense to me. The guidelines for a Pharmacy aren't going to really be any different than the guidelines for Pool. So there really doesn't need to a separate entry for both.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby HavanaDay » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14 pm

If this is really going live in the next day or so I agree something will need to be done soon. Especially a decision about the gas stations being an area or a point. Since that is mainly what is mapped right now in Waze now.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 pm

So, do I understand correctly:

- That there are now 108 "location" categories and each one of them can be classified either as an Area or a Point, effectively giving 216 location configurations?

- And that, of those 216 configurations, at least 108 -- possibly more -- are going to be fully available via WME to any editor but classified in community wikis as "do not use"?

I love Waze but I'm having a hard time digesting the creation of 216 location configurations in software while deprecating more than half of them in guidance. I hope someone will tell me I'm totally misunderstanding and that everything will be OK :shock:
Last edited by DwarfLord on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion