[Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Postby CBenson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:12 pm

My two cents.

KB_Steveo wrote:do we just ignore Validator, since the routing engine in the client will direct you to the node at Centerline Dr. when you are leaving, (or should we put the extra node in for consistency)?

We should put the second node in.
KB_Steveo wrote:Conversely, when you are going to a house on the middle of one of the two segments of Isabella Cir, (assuming you have 1 node in the middle of the loop) do you have a 50/50 chance of being routed to the wrong half, or does the destination pin come into play?

The house number comes into play. But sometimes waze gets confused. Sometimes the one segment will be used for one purpose while the other is for another. The second junction solves these problems.
KB_Steveo wrote:Should we add a picture example to the wiki? - I know it took me a little bit to click before I realized why the 2 segments were highlighted

Yes I think we should.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:24 pm

This all sound good to me.

I wonder about this:
PesachZ wrote:The OUT segments should have a turn angle of 10°-20° on opposite sides of each other, consistent with the geometry for freeway splits. This will allow for easy identification in WME, but still look seamless in the client app.

I don't really see the need for the angle. But I can agree to this if necessary.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:52 pm

jemay wrote:The 'to' to be removed, what about if it is on the BGS? I have seen "to i-##"

Are you sure? I've seen BGS that say "to I-##" at say freeway splits. But I've not seen it in the circumstance that we are defining as a wayfinder, that is where there is an exit, but we also want to give a user an instruction directing them how to continue on the road that the user is already on.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:33 am

PesachZ wrote:I can't be sure, but I don't belive the "and then" next step instruction is controlled by whether or not that middle segment is named. I think it has to do with the length (of time or distance) between the two turns. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though :P

I think the unnamed segment triggers the "and then" specifically between roundabout segments. However, I don't drive any double roundabouts frequently so am not sure exactly how they work. There is some discussion on the topic here. In addition the help for version 3.8 stated:
Changes in Voice Prompts
With the release of 3.8, we're introducing a revamped voice (prompts and text-to-speech) mechanism and logic. Generally speaking, we've made many improvements to our servers and voice infrastructure while on the application side making Waze less verbose.

Some of the major changes we've put in place and you've probably noticed:

Instructions for roundabouts will only be given upon arrival to the roundabout.
We're aware of several issues regarding roundabout prompts (especially with double roundabouts) and are working to resolve them.

I don't know if all issues have been resolved.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:39 pm

Question: The JSG still has a box in the Wayfinder section that states:
Need sample images for "lane drops" and "non-obvious continuations"; also, example of BGS with lane arrows

However, "lane drops" and "non-obvious continuations are no longer the types of interchanges refered to a requiring wayfinders. Are we still looking for these images or can this box be deleted?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:31 pm

I disagree. I find I get a worse feeling that waze is playing a practical joke on me when the next instruction is in another city for a turn 3 highway numbers and three states away as discussed here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:57 pm

I don't know. I have heard from some motorcycle riders that use the voice instruction without looking at the display at all. I tend to only try to prompt such instructions when there are URs complaining about their absence. I also tend to err on the side too much rather than too little information.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:11 pm

PesachZ wrote:It's no different than highway on ramps which currently give no instruction, sketch has a whole list of them.

I'm not understanding this.

kentsmith9 wrote:I have never considered a keep left instruction to be a "joke" from my navigation, but to be told to take exit 423 when the exit I just passed is 5 is completely misleading.

It it also misleading when you pass another exit 423 before the one that waze is telling you take.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:07 pm

DwarfLord wrote:Before we leave the wayfinder-as-highway-numbering-alert topic

I don't disagree with your proposal. I have two thoughts.

First, I would point out that we have defined continuation path as a group of lanes after the split which continue to be the same road as it was before the split. As that isn't the case with merges, I've basically been considering merges to be different from splits.

Second, I'm uncertain how we should address the fact that ramp wayfinder segments are penalized from a routing perspective.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Agreed, there are instances where a continue instruction would be beneficial. But, we don't have one. However, isn't this example just a map error causing an instruction where one isn't needed at all. Not only does the configuration cause an unnecessary keep left to I-980 E, it doesn't give the required exit right to Exit 1A: 11th St / 14th St. I agree that your proposed solution would solve these problems.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion