[Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Postby sketch » Mon May 05, 2014 5:46 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Once we get junction boxes, all this goes away.

Indeed. I can't wait.

The short term advantage of Bowties is simplicity with correct turn instructions, which is our primary goal, correct?

The goal is to enable the restriction of U turns, the advantage over a simple box is that U turns are restrictable. If U turns are allowed, the bowtie introduces difficulty that is avoided with a simple box intersection. It's easy to get bowties wrong — the geometry needs to be correct to give the proper instructions, or else you're gonna get a "turn right" when you're supposed to go straight, a "stay left" when you're turning left, and so forth. It's really not all that easy an intersection to edit — it may even be deceptively difficult.

On the client map it is hard to tell the road actually is a bowtie. I think only us OCD types notice it is not perfectly matched to the road, but so are a lot of things more obvious than this.

Maybe on smaller streets, but this cannot be said for the Las Vegas Strip.

[ img ] [ img ]
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Tue May 06, 2014 11:50 pm

I've also experimented with "sharp angle geonode" bowties. They look much better on the map/app. For segments not on the route, they're almost invisible.

For segments on the route, the route highlighter does show an indent at each intersection; it is subjective as to whether the on-route bump looks marginally better or marginally worse than standard bowties. By playing with the distance between the dual carriageways, especially in the intersection approach, I've been able to minimize the bump.

One advantage of this style is that it is less likely to get the angles into the junction wrong, since everything is almost square. The corresponding disadvantage is that you can only edit it properly when fully zoomed in, and may need to turn off arrows briefly for the finest control.

I find it takes about 75 clicks to convert a standard bowtie intersection to one of these, while a regular bowtie takes about 50.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby DwarfLord » Tue May 06, 2014 11:58 pm

qwaletee wrote:I've also experimented with "sharp angle geonode" bowties. They look much better on the map/app. For segments not on the route, they're almost invisible.

Are these documented anywhere? I am trying to visualize what you are referring to and not succeeding.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Wed May 07, 2014 1:49 am

I'll have to look for one I've done relatively recently (been a few months, so hard to recall where), or create another one.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PesachZ » Sun May 18, 2014 11:03 am

DwarfLord wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I've also experimented with "sharp angle geonode" bowties. They look much better on the map/app. For segments not on the route, they're almost invisible.

Are these documented anywhere? I am trying to visualize what you are referring to and not succeeding.

Take a look at the intersection of Tillary st and the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn, NY. Jay st and Tillary st to the east of that. Sorry no PL right now on my phone, but a quick search in WME should pull it up.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sun May 18, 2014 11:08 am

Based on the testing and comments in this thread it seems we need to mention that 3 way diverging road splits should be avoided. Supposedly it's in the best practices to instead use a series of 2 way splits, but I haven't seen that. If that verbiage is already here somewhere, maybe it can be made more obvious. I would expect to find it in the JSG probably under the diverging roads section.

If this is posted it the wrong thread, (I haven't followed all the discussions and proposals on the JSG) please move it to the appropriate thread, or tell me where I should post it.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby jondrush » Tue May 20, 2014 5:05 pm

Dang, I though the three-way split was already in the wiki.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
[ img ]
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby PesachZ » Tue May 20, 2014 5:17 pm

jondrush wrote:Dang, I though the three-way split was already in the wiki.

As I'm testing more, it appears any split with more than two options (I tested three and four way splits in both left and right configurations) will give the left most branch 'keep left' and all the rest of the branches a 'keep right'. This is regardless of the actual angle of the turn.

Hopefully someone can this information into the wiki.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Tue May 20, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm confused again. I thought your testing showed this to be true for a split with two options as well.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby PesachZ » Tue May 20, 2014 5:40 pm

CBenson wrote:I'm confused again. I thought your testing showed this to be true for a split with two options as well.

The difference in implementation when there are more than two branches, is that all the branches (including all the middle branches) besides the left-most one will say Keep right. So for example a 4-way split with two left branches and two right branches, will give the per left left branch a keep left, and the other three branches keep right.
[ img ]
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/upy5e9a6.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/enetevut.jpg[/img]

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion