[Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Postby CBenson » Tue May 20, 2014 5:49 pm

I see that as being true for a two way split as well. But I guess for a two branch split it is correct, while for more branches it becomes problematic.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby PesachZ » Tue May 20, 2014 5:51 pm

CBenson wrote:I see that as being true for a two way split as well. But I guess for a two branch split it is correct, while for more branches it becomes problematic.

Exactly. Since there are no middle branches in a two way split, this logic is fine. When applying it to a split with more segments it can be confusing to a driver.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu May 22, 2014 5:23 pm

The tight-angle bowtie looks much better at higher zoom levels, for sure, but I'd be concerned whether all those tight geometry nodes mess with any functionality. Also the complexity of having to know to zoom in all the way to see how the junction works...

I'd still rather see a way to functionally unite the 2 directions of a divided road so they can be treated as a single route as needed, but not tell you to simply turn left when you pass by your destination on the other side of the road.

Multi-way splits are toxic; last I've observed, all branches other than the leftmost one will announce "Keep/Stay/Exit right..." Instead, they need to be modeled as a series of quick two way splits, with the announcement for the route to the next split being silenced, if possible, and the geometry of each split reflecting the geometry of the junction (i.e., left vs right) as much as possible. Unfortunately, Waze only supports turning left, turning right, or continuing straight (no announcement) at any given junction, so if there are multiple lefts or rights, the driver is ultimately going to have to glance at the screen and figure out which one, especially if their voice doesn't read street names and/or street names aren't very well marked.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Cricket (AT&T) iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby qwaletee » Thu May 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi, PH,

I've tested the right angle bowties. The only effect on functionality seems to be in how traffic reporting is displayed. It is more likely to show the hidden micro-turns on screen. However, I have been able to mitigate that by gently bringing the dual roadways somewhat closer near the junction approaches, and making micro-turns truly micro.

I understand the concern about the need to zoom in. However, that really applies to many standard bowties. When Orbit was demonstrating some of those techniques to a few of us some months ago, we had to zoom all the way in to see that there were micro-turns right at the junction, flattening it for a meter or two, in order to guarantee no stray keep right instructions.

The functionality you are requesting is in the long-delayed junction box.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby qwaletee » Fri May 23, 2014 12:27 am

Whatever happened to the Wayfinder section of JSG? I know it needed some work, but better what we had than nothing at all.

I don't recall a discussion to remove it.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby PesachZ » Fri May 23, 2014 12:33 am

qwaletee wrote:Whatever happened to the Wayfinder section of JSG? I know it needed some work, but better what we had than nothing at all.

There was discussion to move some content to sub pages... maybe it got moved

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Fri May 23, 2014 12:54 am

PesachZ wrote:
qwaletee wrote:Whatever happened to the Wayfinder section of JSG? I know it needed some work, but better what we had than nothing at all.

There was discussion to move some content to sub pages... maybe it got moved

I thought of that, but I can't find it and search isn't picking it up.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Bigbear3764 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:10 am

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby tonestertm » Fri May 23, 2014 3:49 am

PesachZ wrote:As I'm testing more, it appears any split with more than two options (I tested three and four way splits in both left and right configurations) will give the left most branch 'keep left' and all the rest of the branches a 'keep right'. This is regardless of the actual angle of the turn.

Does this hold true if one of the "right-keeping" roads has the same name as s-in?
[ img ]
ARC for SW Region, USA
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby PesachZ » Fri May 23, 2014 5:16 am

tonestertm wrote:
PesachZ wrote:As I'm testing more, it appears any split with more than two options (I tested three and four way splits in both left and right configurations) will give the left most branch 'keep left' and all the rest of the branches a 'keep right'. This is regardless of the actual angle of the turn.

Does this hold true if one of the "right-keeping" roads has the same name as s-in?

It was true at a junction where the left and right branch had the same name as s-in, and the middle had a different name. otherwise I don't believe i tested this specific scenario. But if the road you are describing is the best continuation, there may not be any instruction to it, however it will still affect what instructions the other branches get. This is as far as I can tell testing with 2 way forks which had a best continuation, and 3-way splits without a best continuation.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion