[Updated Page Proposal] The Parking-Lot Place Area

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Updated Page Proposal] The Parking-Lot Place Area

Postby PhoenixofMT » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:33 am

Timbones wrote:We've independently asked staff about this on more than one occasion, and they insist that no type of place affects routing or traffic data. Parking lot segments don't suppress traffic jams, except by keeping stopped cars off of main routes.

Also, missing road map problems have been known to appear within parking lots and gas station areas.

Question answered! Thanks!
The intro video (i.e. all the training a new editor needs /sarc) implies that parking areas actively keep the Router from getting confused. I assume that this is actually performed by parking lot roads running near proper streets.

Now I know better, I've gone back and removed most of the parking lots I flung around town. :mrgreen:
PhoenixofMT
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:15 pm

I agree that area/point guidance is best located under Places.

Note that Places/Parking Lot is likely to become a US-only page soon. Once that happens I will probably put some more work into it.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:30 pm

It seems to me that the language in the Parking Lot section of the Best map editing practice page contradicts the area/point guidance provide on the Places/Parking lot page. I have proposed eliminating the area/point guidance on that page and simply referring to the Places/Parking lot page here.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:08 am

Makes sense to me, but dang if I have any idea how to "push" Waze. Sometimes I feel like we are just using alien technology that someone discovered in a cave near Roswell NM. At least, that's about how much influence we seem to have with the developers.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby ialangford » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 am

I'd rather get it fixed directly via Waze. Workarounds are sometimes necessary, but when we just go using one without really needing to, we end up not only reducing Waze's incentive to get it fixed, but also we create work for ourselves if/when they do fix it. And this not something that I consider to be so horribly critical that we need to do a workaround. For now, I say if someone complains switch it to "Other", but start pushing Waze to add an option to choose which ones get a P marker, as has been suggested here before, or at least to limit it to primary categories and/or areas.
ialangford
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:06 pm

The only workaround I can think of is to use a different category for the Point Place. Maybe echoing the dedicated purpose for the lot, for example "College / University" for university parking, "Stadium / Arena" for stadium parking, etc. Or just "Other"?

There's nothing about the "Parking Lot" category itself that affects routing to the Place (as far as I know).

Doing this will be confusing for editors though. When is a Parking Lot not a Parking Lot?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby ialangford » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Well, dern ok then. This is a problem, because I need restricted university parking lots mapped for routing. I doubt I have to explain why though; seem like that discussion has already taken place in here! :) Sounds like we need to bug Waze about fixing this.
ialangford
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:34 pm

ialangford wrote:Ok, here's my question about parking lot places showing P flags, one I think DwarfLord has already brought up. Does it work for just areas? Or does it work for points too? What if the point has parking as a secondary place? Before we decide what to do about these flags, we need to know when they show up.

Good question. Another editor reported that Point Places with the Parking Lot category will get a "P" marker but I have not confirmed that. All the "P" markers in my example originated from Area Places.

(EDIT: I just looked at the map of Baltimore for the screenshot editor nzahn1 posted earlier in this thread, and, as that editor indicated, the "P" marker does indeed appear to arise from Parking-Lot Point Places.)

(EDIT 2: One of the "P" markers in my screenshot from Santa Cruz arose from a park that had Parking Lot as a secondary category.)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:25 pm

Timbones wrote:
DwarfLord wrote:It suggests to me that, if we don't want drivers to be confused, we mustn't use the Parking Lot type to mark anything that isn't general-purpose parking for the general public.

This is already accepted as best practice, and had been adopted in the guidelines of many countries.

Flattery will get you everywhere :D (and I certainly prefer it to the brass knuckles I got in the Walking Trail thread).

The reason this comes up is because many editors like to mark named dedicated parking such as university parking ("Snafu University Lot A"), stadium parking ("Fubar Stadium Green Lot"), tourist-attraction parking ("Beach Boardwalk West Lot"), etc.

In fact, worldwide, the Parking-Lot Place is (apparently) commonly used for private, dedicated parking. So much so that, a few months ago, examples indicating otherwise were summarily removed from the Parking-Lot wiki article without any discussion here.

I would be delighted to modify the Parking-Lot Place wiki article to reinforce the "general public, general purpose" principles for Point Places as well as for Area Places; the article currently waffles on Point Places. But, I don't want to put effort into such changes if another editor will just delete them, or if, heaven forbid, I get the brass knuckles again.

Timbones wrote:I'd also like to suggest that the Ps to not appear if the destination is known to have parking, i.e. place has 'Parking for customers' ticked or nav point is on parking lot road.
This is a really fantastic suggestion. I wish I had a way to communicate it to Waze.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby ialangford » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Ok, here's my question about parking lot places showing P flags, one I think DwarfLord has already brought up. Does it work for just areas? Or does it work for points too? What if the point has parking as a secondary place? Before we decide what to do about these flags, we need to know when they show up.
ialangford
Country Manager
Country Manager

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion