Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by DwarfLord
Makes sense to me, but dang if I have any idea how to "push" Waze. Sometimes I feel like we are just using alien technology that someone discovered in a cave near Roswell NM. At least, that's about how much influence we seem to have with the developers.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
I agree that area/point guidance is best located under Places.

Note that Places/Parking Lot is likely to become a US-only page soon. Once that happens I will probably put some more work into it.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Good lord. That was not how I anticipated parking lots displaying. I was hopping that it would be the letter P, but not floating like that. The same way the cross is shown on live maps over hospitals. UGH.

This is going to be an issue for the "how/when to use parking lot areas" discussion.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by ialangford
Ok, here's my question about parking lot places showing P flags, one I think DwarfLord has already brought up. Does it work for just areas? Or does it work for points too? What if the point has parking as a secondary place? Before we decide what to do about these flags, we need to know when they show up.
ialangford
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM-USA ; SM-South Carolina
Wer resten, der rosten.

Post by ialangford
Well, dern ok then. This is a problem, because I need restricted university parking lots mapped for routing. I doubt I have to explain why though; seem like that discussion has already taken place in here! :) Sounds like we need to bug Waze about fixing this.
ialangford
Send a message
Wer resten, der rosten.

Post by ialangford
I'd rather get it fixed directly via Waze. Workarounds are sometimes necessary, but when we just go using one without really needing to, we end up not only reducing Waze's incentive to get it fixed, but also we create work for ourselves if/when they do fix it. And this not something that I consider to be so horribly critical that we need to do a workaround. For now, I say if someone complains switch it to "Other", but start pushing Waze to add an option to choose which ones get a P marker, as has been suggested here before, or at least to limit it to primary categories and/or areas.
ialangford
Send a message
Wer resten, der rosten.

Post by kentsmith9
Lots of good work here DwarfLord.

I only wanted to comment on your proposed title which I assume is currently:

How and When to Mark Parking: The Parking-Lot Place Area

Since pages are found from a search, the more words you use the less likely the Wiki search will lead to it overall. The general Wiki guidelines would say to use a title as succinct as possible, but still differentiate from other pages. So the first question is if this is a subpage of the Place page, or Parking Lot Page.

I propose a sub of the Place page and also have a link from the Parking Lot section/page to here.

Possibly one of these depending on whether the Places page needs to be subsectioned:
* Places/Parking Lot Area
* Places/Area/Parking Lot
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
DwarfLord wrote:Since the WME continues to offer "Parking Lot", as a Place Area, for direct access via the write menu, it seems logical to locate the discussion at a higher level in the wiki structure with links as appropriate. I'm delighted to comply with any way of accomplishing that you suggest, I'm new to wiki structuring.
The actual structure is more about association so when you are on a page you can see the parent pages like [[Places/Areas/Parking Lot]]. That tells you this parking lot information is bound under Areas under Places. Then we also have links from other related pages, and we create redirects from other descriptions and terms.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Seems OK at this point.

The main Places page will likely include all the descriptions of the basic entries with little question or controversy. The areas or points that have more discussion would likely link to a subpage to better explain them. In that case it may be fine to have all sub pages be direct under Places, rather than Places/Area and Places/Point.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I am good. Minimally be sure to get Alan's feedback since he started the Places page. I have not followed this thread 100%, but as long as you have addressed the comments so far we are probably OK. Keep the construction template on while we sort through the new feature just in case.

A few things I would address before moving it over so it is part of the original page (see process to move page below):

1. Our style guide follows Wikipedia and we should use sentence caps on page names and sections unless it is a proper noun.

2. In the first section you have "Area." This is probably too vague for the average user.

I created a page you can copy and paste your content. Since this is the initial page creation, there is not a lot of need to keep the history of your modifications. This copy/paste method will create the page as a single entry in the history and then start tracking new changes from there.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message