Post by qwaletee
I don't see a real problem. Just include a reference to the controlling venue for each lot. This way, it is crystal clear that the parking lot has restricted usage, and no confusion.

For example, right now MetLife Stadium only has the stadium structure mapped. But we could add all the lots with clear identification: E Lot (MetLife Stadium), F Lot (MetLife Stadium), etc. Or pick some other format, e.g., Stadium Lot E, Stadium Lot F.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
I'm only pointing out that the place name could be used to help clue-in drivers about how "public" it is. I'm not advocating that every venue get its own separate lot. Clearly, publicly-available parking (including municipal, commuter, and commercial lots) need places, like any other "business." And individual stores will generally have the lot incorporated into the business's place: most businesses have their entrance in the lot.

But that leaves an issue for large complexes where there may be multiple, disjoint lots with separate entrances. Those are difficult or impossible to map in a useful way if we restrict it as you describe.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by SeZAKxing
Please update the Wiki to specify: "Geometry nodes should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go ontop of road segments or intersections!"
(apparently new editors cant "see" that in in the sample images.
SeZAKxing
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
(random character guy)
images/ranks/EditLevel4_Badge.png
Area Manager in VA; Culpeper to Amherst, Rockingham to Cumberland

Post by sketch
I thought / think the accepted terminology was / should be "Point Place" and "Area Place", not the other way around. As in, Point and Area are types of Place, the general noun is Place, and so forth. "Place Point" and (especially) "Place Area" seem real awkward to me.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Well, you wouldn't say Highway Major and Highway Minor, would you? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I thought that's what you meant, but I think you may have meant to say "used here" or "applied here" instead of "updated". I agree, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
To be honest, all these discussions we're having only really reflect the American viewpoint of parking lot areas. European editors' use thereof is vastly different from ours, in part because European practices are different – in at least some of Europe, you can just park wherever and go wherever else, and they won't tow you.

This is a general article of worldwide applicability and should not reflect the U.S.-centric viewpoint that parking lot areas are to be seldom used. Peter is a Global Champ from the Netherlands, and his edits appear to have brought the article more in line with the general applicability it should have where it is situated. Any U.S.-specific guidance should go into a U.S.-specific article, to which the general article should link.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
nzahn1 wrote:I think its valid to be mentioned in the Places main article; however, only Parking Lot or Gas Station places suppress traffic/map errors/etc. So the reasoning to prevent snapping for other areas would be limited to keeping roads from being dragged accidently during editing.
They don't actually. Parking lot and gas station areas do not suppress traffic reporting. It's questionable whether they even suppress MPs. That's why many of us are supporting PLRs in every gas station now.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Well, considering they don't affect routing or anything, there's no problem using an area for them.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Timbones
We've independently asked staff about this on more than one occasion, and they insist that no type of place affects routing or traffic data. Parking lot segments don't suppress traffic jams, except by keeping stopped cars off of main routes.

Also, missing road map problems have been known to appear within parking lots and gas station areas.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries