Post by kentsmith9
If most of our Places are one or the other, can we just focus on calling them "Parking Lot Places?" Then in the details we decide if they are points or areas.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I would like to see the current convention as posted in other places in the wiki, especially in the current Places page, of "Area Place" and "Point Place" updated.
I am not sure I know what you meant here. Are you referencing following the Wiki Style Guide or something different?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
If there are specific pages that we no longer want to support, we can change them to redirects to the new page. Remind me which page it is and I can work back to the sources to redirect to the new page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Ah. I see there was some confusion from my subpages proposal.

The [[Places]] page should have a section called something like [[Places#Special considerations]]. In that section we have a paragraph that explains Parking lots are a little unique in determining when to create them. It will then have a link to the subpage [[Places/Parking lot]]. If there is only one place that is questionable, then we just make it a section called "Parking lot considerations" as the only exception, but we still link to the subpage.

The reason for this is to prevent massive pages that are hard to sift through. More than a couple of screens worth of information can be overwhelming to newer users. It is also harder to edit massive pages, like this one may get over time as we flush out other issues around places.

I can make these changes in the next day or so unless someone as adamantly opposed to it. I hope not because this is the direction we have already decided on JSG for example.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
No problem. I can implement the change. I see you made some changes to the content on the basepage. No worries. I can ensure we keep the change and still see what is modified on the history.

I can work on this later today or by the weekend.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Complete. I guess until we have more detailed notes on other places, we can just have Parking Lots be the only entry. Should we link the table on the Place page to the Parking Lot subpage?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Parking lot linked. There are a few others we could wikilink like
  • Junctions
  • Gas Station
  • Ferry
  • Tunnel
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
So, the community consensus is that named designated parking lots around stadiums, college campuses, and others should NOT be mapped as AREAs. Correct?

After we determine the functionality of POINTs, do we think that might be a way to mark these destinations?
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by nzahn1 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
DwarfLord wrote:(Edit: I definitely like the idea of using a Parking-Lot Place Point to identify parking that does not satisfy the general-purpose and general-public principles.)
My suggestion (pending how POINTs works out) is just that. General-purpose/public parking as AREAs (shows on map). Destination (or special use) parking is a point, so it is searchable. So in my previous example:
Lot C would remain an AREA because it is a pay-to-park lot used on weekdays and weekends. The remainder of the lots would be converted to points, so they could be searched for when navigating to Camden Yards/Oriole Park/Ravens Stadium.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
I wish there was a maturation of the |P| symbol layer/function generated from foursquare when arriving at destinations.

It would be nice is we had a general-parking-lot category that would prompt the inclusion of the place in that "|P| layer".
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message