[Updated Page Proposal] The Parking-Lot Place Area

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Updated Page Proposal] The Parking-Lot Place Area

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:49 pm

sketch wrote:It's questionable whether they even suppress MPs.

The MP scripts now appear to be run so seldom and unpredictably that I think it's impossible to reverse-engineer this question on anything shorter than a geological timeframe.

The question comes up as to how much we should worry about what does and doesn't trigger MPs at all.

In recent months I've encountered some compliant public parking lots located underneath freeway viaducts. These are a pain to map in separate chunks to avoid overlapping the freeway, and not accurate to do so either. Is it time to remove the prohibition against mapping Parking-Lot Area Places over roads bearing through traffic?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Timbones » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm

We've independently asked staff about this on more than one occasion, and they insist that no type of place affects routing or traffic data. Parking lot segments don't suppress traffic jams, except by keeping stopped cars off of main routes.

Also, missing road map problems have been known to appear within parking lots and gas station areas.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby nzahn1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:29 pm

sketch wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:I think its valid to be mentioned in the Places main article; however, only Parking Lot or Gas Station places suppress traffic/map errors/etc. So the reasoning to prevent snapping for other areas would be limited to keeping roads from being dragged accidently during editing.

They don't actually. Parking lot and gas station areas do not suppress traffic reporting. It's questionable whether they even suppress MPs. That's why many of us are supporting PLRs in every gas station now.

I actually had someone say that these types of area Places affected routing too; I thought I was being conservative when I said traffic/errors only. I guess we need someone with a big empty area to build a small town and test all these things. Or we could ask staff, but yeah.
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:23 pm

nzahn1 wrote:I think its valid to be mentioned in the Places main article; however, only Parking Lot or Gas Station places suppress traffic/map errors/etc. So the reasoning to prevent snapping for other areas would be limited to keeping roads from being dragged accidently during editing.

They don't actually. Parking lot and gas station areas do not suppress traffic reporting. It's questionable whether they even suppress MPs. That's why many of us are supporting PLRs in every gas station now.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:14 pm

OK, I've added the following blurb to the text under "Extent". I agree that it doesn't hurt to echo the concern in this article, even though it is a subset of the Places article.

As with all Area Places, a Parking-Lot Area Place's geometry nodes should not be allowed to "snap" to adjacent road segments or junctions while being adjusted. Doing so can make the Area Place, as well as the adjacent segments or junctions, more difficult to modify.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby nzahn1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:21 pm

DwarfLord wrote:Ummm...there are no sample images in the Parking-Lot wiki article...did you mean to post this in the thread for the top-level Places article? It's definitely worth a mention there.

I think its valid to be mentioned in the Places main article; however, only Parking Lot or Gas Station places suppress traffic/map errors/etc. So the reasoning to prevent snapping for other areas would be limited to keeping roads from being dragged accidently during editing.
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Ummm...there are no sample images in the Parking-Lot wiki article...did you mean to post this in the thread for the top-level Places article? It's definitely worth a mention there.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby SeZAKxing » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:33 pm

Please update the Wiki to specify: "Geometry nodes should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go ontop of road segments or intersections!"
(apparently new editors cant "see" that in in the sample images.
SeZAKxing
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Peter provided the European perspective during the writing of the article that I thought I had addressed. I definitely wanted the article to have global applicability and have always welcomed input to accomplish that. I would sure rather understand what exactly is wrong than to contribute an article in good faith and then see a good chunk of it summarily deleted without warning or explanation.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:07 pm

To be honest, all these discussions we're having only really reflect the American viewpoint of parking lot areas. European editors' use thereof is vastly different from ours, in part because European practices are different – in at least some of Europe, you can just park wherever and go wherever else, and they won't tow you.

This is a general article of worldwide applicability and should not reflect the U.S.-centric viewpoint that parking lot areas are to be seldom used. Peter is a Global Champ from the Netherlands, and his edits appear to have brought the article more in line with the general applicability it should have where it is situated. Any U.S.-specific guidance should go into a U.S.-specific article, to which the general article should link.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion